Wintery recipes…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

Ok all you super cooks, lets share some winter warmer recipes now that the wind is gusty outside and the cold nights are setting in. I’ll start.

My Nanny’s Coddle:

Few sausages
    1/2 pound ham chunks
    2 large carrots
    4 potatoes
    1 onion
    1 pack oxtail soup

*Boil the ham pieces & sausages for 15 mins and spill out the water (this reduces the salt content).
    *Peel potatoes and cut into quarters, slice the carrots, chop the onion into quarters.
    *Put all ingredients into a big pot, mix up the oxtail soup and pour over the meat & veg. Make sure they are well covered.
    *Cook on a medium heat for 90 minutes (or until all ingredients cooked).
    * Serve piping hot with chunky bread.

The end result should be a thick, soupy stew. This dark ham based coddle is a twist on the classic Dublin coddle – which is clear in colour and calls for bacon and barley water.

Even though I’ve done it loads of times – nobody can make it like my nanny. But on a cold day, its tasty and warms you from the inside out and is easy to make and will last in the fridge for a few days if you have some over.

rossylisa

I love coddle my dad makes the best coddle ever. the only thing with your one is that you add oxtail soup!! thats a stew not a coddle lol its meant to be veg 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Taylor5

I love coddle too…. my mams coddle is to die for! She puts back rashers into it, my mam puts bisto into it rather then oxtail soup, it keeps it thin but adds colour, my dads side made a white coddle

Mine love
    Steak peices ~(top side)
    4/5 large carrots
    pot of spuds

put beef and carrots into a pot, cover with water and bring to the boil, then simmer. Simmer for 2 hours, with about 15 mins to go pour out some of the water into a jug and mix the oxtail soup, then add back to the pot….. boil spuds and mash
    My kids love this, its called Volcanos…. i make mash potato volcano, fill with meat and oxtail soup and add the carrots around the base. Make sure the soup spills over the top like lava lol

julymam

i love a big plate of pasta bake with garlic bread and coleslaw yum yum, though haven’t been able to have it in a while since i’ve started slimming world 🙁

cook pasta(fusilli), i usually grill couple of chicken breasts and break into small pieces when its cooked, put in whatever veg you want, i usually cook some mushrooms, cut a few cherry tomatoes and peppers and throw them all in and mix in one or 2 jars of dolmio pasta bake creamy tomato sauce depending on how much pasta there is..
    Then load the whole lot into a pyrex/oven proof dish and cover with grated cheddar cheese,cook in oven til cheese is melted or little bit crispy…..oh my mouth is watering already haha!! 😆 😆

kjmam

my fave beef and guinness pie yum yum 😀
    stewing steak
    carrots
    celery
    onions
    bouquet garnie
    beef stock cube
    can guinness
    flour
    ready made puff pastry
    coat beef in flour and brown on pan put in large pot or slow cooker chop veg and add to pot dissolve stock cube in boiling water 1 pint approx add to pot pour in guinness and bouquet garni and stew for 2-3 hours or longer if using slow cooker . thicken with some gravy grans if needed remove bouquet garni
    put stew mix into pie dish and pop pastry on top bake in oven 200’c for 30 mins approx til pastry is browned and well risen….delicious…….
    i usually serve with culcanon mmmmmmm 😆

Jedt
    Keymaster

That beef & guinnes pie going on my list….

I know my nanny’s coddle not officially a traditional coddle (but don’t let her hear me say that, she’d give me a whack of her tea towel!!) but with the ham chunks & sausages & veg, its so tasty!

anyone got recipes for wintery desserts too?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.