What should a President be?

Home Forums National Chat What should a President be?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mammycool
    Participant

This is the first Presidential election that I have ever heard so much fuss about. From my past memories, all previous Presidents were dignified and what I would consider qualified for the post.

This race appears to be something like X-Factor – we have singers, tv presenters, property developers, etc all showing an interest. Like it is some sort of popularity contest.

My view would be that the President of the country is the face of the country. As such, they should have some clue of what it is that they represent and what the job entails. This person signs off all the laws of the land. This person upholds the constitution of the Irish Republic. They greet foreign dignatories. They should have compassion, morals and a sense of right and wrong.

I intend to vote but I have to say – I am not inspired by any of the nominees so far.

Jedt
    Keymaster

I listened to Sean Gallagher being interviewed and he did a great job of explaining what he would do if he was elected. I would not have considered him if I had not heard him on the Late Late. But he has some good ideas, he made a lot of sense.

Not inspired by any of the others and if the rumour that Bertie Ahern is going to run is true, I may have to emigrate!!!

mammycool
    Participant

Oh, did not hear that. Curious though on what he would do – the President does not actually have any powers to do anything. Any speeches they give must be passed by the Government.

Jedt
    Keymaster

he was talking about FDA mostly, how he can work with other countries to help bring companies from other countries here to set up in Ireland. he had some really good ideas – you could probably get it on you tube.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.