What is a healthy pulse?

Home Forums Exercise, Nutrition, Health Issues & illness What is a healthy pulse?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mammycool
    Participant

Hi there,

I am determined to finally lose the baby belly and get my figure back. Yesterday, I bought an exercise bike. It monitors speed, distance, calories burned and pulse. Does anyone know what a healthy pulse is for an almost 40yr woman who is very unfit? Also, when exercising when does your pulse reach a limit where you should stop?

I am around 70 before doing any exercise and 100 at the end.

thanks

Taylor5

Sounds very normal to me… i use mybike and i would start off the same, i hold my pulse at about 120 when working out, it would drop back down quick enough after i stop

mammycool
    Participant

Thanks. I found that my pulse can get up to anything between 100 and 160 – thought that was a bit high. Also found, that if I take a deep breath, my pulse goes down again.

Anyhow, I will stick with it – pulse is getting a bit steadier as the days go on.

Mark Acu

Hi Mammycool

All sounds really good and totally normal to me.

The average HR is 72 beats per min at rest. Generally the fitter you are the slower that will be.

On training the usual rule is the hight the heart beat the less time you will be able to sustain the training. If you are aiming to burn fat use the following to calculate our ideal heart rate to do so.

220 – your age * 75%

eg 220 – 38 * 75% = 136 beats per min

Aim to hold it there for at least 20mins 3 times a week. The fitter you get the harder you will have to work to get it to that level

Take care

Mark

http://www.MarkBellAcupuncture.com

mammycool
    Participant

Thanks Mark. Lord I have a long way to go so!!!!!! I started last week and am currently doing 20mins a day – in total, not at high impact!!! Wanted to start slowly and not kill myself. I shall try increasing to a half hour this week.

Lost motivation on day 6 – weighed myself and was a pound heavier.

Mark Acu

Mammycool welcome to my world I am out trecking round oldbridge estate in the hope of becoming more fit myself so if anyone sees a guy looking like they are about to keel over that is more than possibly me 😕

Honestly dont worry about your weight try and focus more on your clothes size esp in the area that you would like to loose the weight. Sometimes the scales do not reflect how well you are doing. If your weight does not drop but your cloths fit better well its defo happy days.

If you are struggling with motivation I would 100% suggest to go to a class at least one time a week. Lab fitness are brill they have a fantastic selection of classes so you are sure to find something you enjoy doing. Plus you will always work harder in a class with others round you. (if Vanessa is teaching you will defo work hard) I did anti gravity yoga and wow was it great.

Enjoy

Mark

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.