What has happened to Ireland??

Home Forums National Chat What has happened to Ireland??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The news today wass just murder after murder after murder. I remember when I was growing up, you just did not hear about murders and killings the way you do today.

I know I sound naive and that things were bound to change since the 80’s but I worry about what kind of country we will have by the time my kids are in their teens and 20’s. Its awful the way things have gone. Nothing but doom and gloom.

Somedays I literally turn the news off, its so depressing.

Taylor5

So little regard for life now… i remember when there was a murder it was headline news and you remembered the case, now they all blur into one!

Jedt

That poor fella in Ballymum, he was out asking people to keep the noise down and he was stabbed to death.

I used to do alot of charity work in Ballymum and never once did I have an ounce of trouble, lovely people and its awful when something like this happens there because people associate it with the area. shocking stuff altogether.

MaryE

I was only talking about this recently, when there was a murder or someone went missing you knew all about it & you knew their name, they brought out books about it.

Now, i have to admit, there are so many murders that i dont always even take any notice. I dont know their names in most cases. And in a lot of cases we jump to the conclusion that most our ganster/ drug related killings!! I always feel guilty when i realise they were innocent victims & i sort of dismissed their murders but even if they were not innocent they are still someones son, brother, father etc.

mammycool
    Participant

There appears to be no value on life anymore. Sure why would they worry with the sentences that are giving out in this country. I was watching program about Adrian Bestia(not sure on the spelling) – he battered his girlfriend. She went out and got three Russian guys off the street to come in and give him a good beating.

Anyhow, when they realised that he was Romanian, they gave him an awful death over hours. They even went out and bought drink and got drunk, then would beat him again and again. The girlfriend lost control of the situation. After a few hours they sent her out for cigarettes and finished him off while she was gone.

They went out and bought a bag, put the body into it and dumped him in the canal – where it was found by children out playing some days later.

The girlfriend got 3 years. Two of the Russians got 4 years. The third who apparently gave the fatal injury was never found. This happened a few years ago – so they are probably all out for behaving in prison.

Taylor5

God i never heard of that case, well if i did i dont remember it! 😯 Where did that happen? Sometimes the Judges should be fecked into jail, 3 and 4 years for a murder like that?
    You see young lads stabbing each other and its a murder that takes seconds, this murder was over hours 😯

Donomum3

its true the rate of murders and violence is off the scale.we are nearly all desensitised to hearing about it now its so commonplace.it really hit home to me last week when having a chat with my eight year old son after a friend of his grandparents died ,we were just talking about it and he said;" well one thing i wish mammy is that when i die i die from age and am not murdered like shot or stabbed".. i was shocked just goes to showas just from hearing snippets of the news this was what he thought

Jedt

Thats awful that a child would even think like that. So often I turn off the news because if I find it upsetting, I know it could well give my children nightmares. My 7 year old is very sensitive and would have bad dreams about those kinds of horrible stories on the news, so we try to shield her a bit.

Its awful. 🙁

Donomum3

i know we are the same in this house. always switching off news and turning volume down on the car radio.itsso difficult as they are only kids and should be carefree. they will be long enough exposed to the big bad world.i find it hard now not so much with the younger ones but the 8yr old always has his ears open and doesnt miss a trick.typically he is also the sensitive soul of the family who will lie awake worrying about things. all we can do is our best 😉

bubblesue

I heard the lunchtime news today and apart from the murders and sentencing of murderers, the story that struck a chord is the poor missing girl from Drogheda in Melbourne! They’ve found her handbag. I pray that there is an explanation that means she returns safely but it must be a nightmare for her husband and family!

Taylor5

I know, its very sad! She was only 5mins away from her home…. i hope the CCTV will show up something. I felt so sorry for the husband on the tv this evening, my mam was very cutting and said "i hope he isnt another Joe O’Reilly" Its terrible how the closest to the missing person are the main suspects.
    I pray they find her alive, but hope seems to be fading as time goes on.

Jedt

On the news this morning they reported how a 31 year old man in Portarlington was shot dead in his home yesterday – in front of his two children!!! Whatever he was upto, his children have not done anything wrong and for him to have been shot in front of his children is absolutely appalling.

There was another man shot dead yesterday in Dublin, he was walking with his girlfriend, right out in the open, and he was shot.

Bloody disgraceful.

Taylor5

The man in Dublin had kids with him too… shocking! It wont be long before a stray bullet hits a child, its just getting worse and worse.
    Did anyone watch the Secret Millionare Ireland last night, this lovely man was in Limerick, God the state of the place and kids running wild setting houses on fire…. then it showed the community trying to pull together to keep the kids on the straight and narrow. Heartbreaking!

Jedt

Thats what we have to do, we have to try and not let it ruin us as a society. we have to try and see the positive in things and stick together.

So, who has something nice to say about Ireland?

I’ll start; the way communities pull together when something awful happens is constantly inspiring to me. My mam is on the cancer support group for Balbriggan and we all pull together and do events to raise money and so many people get involved and offer their time and services and this is amazing. I love being part of things like that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.