What do you think about letting your kids walk to school?

Home Forums What’s New on Mumstown? What do you think about letting your kids walk to school?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Previous generations didn’t bat an eyelid at kids walking to school on their own, often alone, along main roads and carrying heavy book bags and gym kits.

Fast forward to 2012 and many parents are now understandably wary about letting their little ones travel to school on foot. For some mums and dads it’s just easier to take the kids to school in the car, whilst others report concerns about meeting strangers or speeding traffic.

October is International Walk to School month and charity Living Streets, supported by official sponsor Start-rite Shoes, is urging parents and schools across the UK to bring back the walk to school.

With one in three children obese by the time they leave primary school, parents could be making a big difference to their children’s health by simply introducing something that used to be a normal part of the school day for previous generations.

But with research by Start-rite Shoes revealing that almost one in five children never walk to school, and one in six does so less than once per week, why should you be encouraging your children to walk to school and what simple steps can you take to make sure they’re safe and well prepared?

Show date: Tuesday 2nd October
    Show time: 4.30pm

Log onto our live and interactive webTV show with Phillipa Hunt from Living Streets and Andrew Alderton from Start-Rite, where they will discuss the benefits of walking to school and address common parental concerns.

Click here to watch the show and submit questions: [url:2hkjawid]http://www.studiotalk.tv/show/parents-urged-to-bring-back-the-walk-to-school[/url:2hkjawid]

chewieodie

While I love the idea…. and I think its great…. we live in an area where there is a significant lack of pavements. I’d love to walk into the village with our kids, yet, there are stretches of the road without pavements, and I feel often that you are taking your life into your hands when you do…. as some folk drive without care for pedestrians.

joeyrudd

i don’t own a car and we’re lucky to live within walking distance of the kids school so no choice but too walk 😆

Taylor5

I live too far from the school, but alot of neighbours kids walk to and from school… i do notice that none of the kids wear jackets, they walk along in the lashing rain in just jumpers!

munchin
    Participant

our school is too far and country roads for dd to walk if she had gone to a closer school she would have walked. DD2 is a montessori around the corner from us and while dh drops her on the way back from the primary school he always walks around to collect her – she’s not impressed on the oadd occassion he takes the car 😆 😆

Taylor5

God when you look at what is going on over in Wales with the Abduction of poor little April, it makes you guestion is it safe for kids to walk to and from school

happymumblemum
    Participant

Dont like theidea of not knowing if she got there safely…

Hate the way the world is.

joeyrudd

God when you look at what is going on over in Wales with the Abduction of poor little April, it makes you guestion is it safe for kids to walk to and from school

my mil just won’t stop worrying about that she wants my dh to bring the kids to scholl just in case they run off on me….i can run faster than him
    i swear that woman thinks i can’t look after my kids
    it is a very worrying time knowing what is happening in wales

Anonymous
    Inactive

My son is ten and is going on and on about walking to and from school by himself as all the boys in his class do but we live 20 min from school and I would be out of my mind with worry. Is ten too young??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.