What age for periods?

Home Forums National Chat What age for periods?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jedt

What is teh average age now for girls getting their period?

Our daughter is 10 and I’ve noticed her starting to get hips and seeing her shape change and wondering if this is something we should start watching out for?

Fabienne

From what I heard from teachers over the years, girls from 4th class can get periods. More common from 6th (still so much earlier than my generation (I’m getting old the way I talk 😆 )

Fabienne

Jedt

We’re all getting old the way we talk Fabienne!! Just today I said the dreaded words ‘There’s great weather for drying out’

Sweet jesus, I am turning into m mother!

Aaarrrggghhh!!!!

CaliGal

I think kids get physical traits sooner than the actual period..I’d say look out from 6th class onwards?

munchin
    Participant

depends on the child – my niece was 13 but my other niece just got her’s and she’s not 12 until September. I think the average is still around the 6th class mark but it can happen sooner.

gted87

My sister was 10 my mam had talk with me when I was 9 I was 12 getting it and following year my sister got it before she got the talk she thought she was dying poor thing 🙁

CA Coaching
    Participant

It’s probably no harm starting the conversation with your daughter at this stage. There are some really good books aimed at this age group out there that can help to direct the conversation and it doesn’t have to be every single gory detail but it could happen sooner than you think so forewarned is forearmed as they say!

Allen

joeyrudd

just bought a book in waterstones to have "the talk" with my eldest
    she’s 10 too

pookie4
    Participant

As an SPHE teacher, this is what I’ve been told on training courses on RSE (relationships & sexuality education):

Irish girls are getting periods from the age of 8 up – sorry to shock you. Average age used to be 11-12 but it is coming back all the time. Periods are triggered partly by body mass. As Irish girls have become better nourished, they hit their ‘trigger weight’ at an earlier age. It is not unusual for girls to have periods at ten & I now two girls who started menstruating before their communion.

Generally, once periods come growth in height stops & this can obviously cause problems if a girl is very young when when she begins to menstruate, so if a daughter starts periods very young take her to a doctor straight away & see if it is possible to delay them. It can be done though, as I only have sons & teach boys, I’m not an expert on this bit.

Girls growth spurts come at the start of puberty, boys near the end, so if your daughter has started shooting up, maybe you should have ‘the talk’.

Good luck to all you mums of girls – from a mum with a house devoid of pink and sparkle….

Jedt

I’d like the names of some of those books please Ca Coaching….better stock up as our eldest girl is 10 and starting to get quite moody at times.

So help us!!!!

pookie4
    Participant

May the force be with you!! Rather you than me…… Times like this I’m glad I just have sons…

munchin
    Participant

ah stop my daughter is 8.5yr yikes – I’ve noticed changes in her body but am putting it down to build – maybe I should start preparing her

I too would be interested in the names of some recommended books – I have 2/3 but they talk very basics nothing about periods etc

pookie4
    Participant

There’s one called Girl Talk – it is a diary kept by a girl, her auntie is pregnant, and gradually all is revealed. It has been around a long time but a saw an updated edition in a shop recently.

I’ll see if I can find the list of resources I got last time I was training in the area.

Just read them first yourself – some go into a lot of detail…..

pookie4
    Participant

Google Busy Bodies (HSE). It is a chunky little booklet about the facts of life. Cartoon format. Covers most areas but doesn’t go into huge detail about sex. If you contact the Health Promotion Unit the might send you a booklet – or maybe you have to download it these days. I use these booklets & the accompanying video are in First Year – but with boys who are miles behind girls in the whole puberty business….

rossylisa

I got my DD the busy bodies book free from hse aswell, covered everything aimed at her age group.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.