wedding dress maker

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

i have found the perfect wedding dress and i totally fell in love with it,except it does not fit into my budget.A couple of people have told me to go down the road of getting it made as it is alot cheaper.I was just wondering if anyone has any advice???PLEASE.i really do love the dress i seen and am worried if i go do go with a dress maker can he/she really recreate the dress.i would also love if anyone could recommend a dress maker that they trust or have experienced.i live in the drogheda area.would really appreciate any advice. :)

Yvonne

Did you get the name of the dress, the designer, style no?

If so, search for it online and see if you can source it cheaper!

Can’t think of anyone off hand that could make a wedding dress…

Jedt

I went to a wedding fair in RDS, looked at and tried on loads of dresses and got some style advice from stylists there and then went to Hickey’s to buy the dress that suited me best. In fairness, the one I loved most was the one from Hickeys so I was lucky it happened not to be too expensive. Cost me under 800 euro and was alot cheaper than many of the ones I looked at at the show and in other shops.

Have you tried any dresses on yet? Sometimes you think you want a certain style but until you try it on, you cannot be sure what suits you.

My advice would be try some on, find the right style & colour for you and then watch for sales for prices to come down and also speak to a dressmaker too – there are dressmakers in nearly every town – and see what they would charge to make it.

Pick your own material or ask for a swatch of the material if you are getting a dressmaker to buy the material and make it for you, so you know the exact colour & fabric before they actually make it.

Hope that helps – when is the big day? The Glenside Hotel have a fab wedding planner and help with everything from invites to dresses so if you are looking for a venue, they are brilliant and can help alot too.

twinkle07

Thank you for your replies.Big day is jan 2014.I have already looked online for it and found one similar to it.Im afraid to buy online tho i have heard so many horror stories. 🙁 .I have had the dress on and out of all the dresses i tried on i cant get this one out of my mind.I went out dress shopping again today and I did’nt like any of them.I think the best thing to do is speak with a dress maker but again I would prefer a recommended dress maker than a stranger,so if anyone knows one that they would recommend i would reallyappreciate it.I know im being very fussy.I just want it to be perfect.
    I think the wedding fair in RDS is comin up shortly after christmas so planning on going to it.We are having the wedding in Trim Castle.I fell in love with the view of the castle from the hotel its so picturesque. 🙂

Jedt

Thats a lovely spot for a wedding, we went to one there last year and it was lovely.

Good idea to get recommendations from someone who had a dressmaker make them a dress – at least you’ll have first hand feedback about how good she/he is.

There was a dressmaker in Balbriggan we used to take it and take up dresses for us and she was great but I think she is retired now. I’ll ask about and see if she still does any work andif she does, will PM you her details.

chewieodie

I have heard of a great lady in Drogheda… her name is Mandy Flood…. She is on Facebook. I’ll see if I can PM her…. I don’t know her personally…. but I’ve heard very good reports. Perhaps she can help you?

I found her on the site… and I’ve suggested she register with Mumstown… and look for this post… 🙂 Hope that helps you… 🙂

twinkle07

Ah that would b gr8.Im not on facebook myself, 😮 prob the only person in the world who isnt 😆 .Thanx so much for all you help girls.Im only at the dress stage n im getting myself into a tizzy 😕 . 😆 .I suppose i can expect a stressful year ahead. 🙁

Fabienne

Could you order in advance your dress online for cheaper and have someone to take it in / adjust it for you, rather than making a full one from scratch?

Fabienne

twinkle07

im really not to comfortable ordering on line,i have been looking but nothing has caught my eye yet.i think i would prefer the dress maker if i can get recommended one.

beams

Hi twinkle07 my sis in law Niamh Garry is a fashion designer trained in grafton academy – worked with Julien McDonald in Uk – she lives in Drogheda and might be able to help you – I know she has created bridal dresses before Maybe a chat with her could help you – again she is on facebook or if you want to pm me i can give you her number x O by the way – was at a wedding in November in Trim Castle hotel – absolutely fantastic – you wont be disappointed it was magical x

Yvonne

Never realised that she was your SIL Beams, seen her on fb!

Did you manage to get pics of the dress Twinkle?

Trim Castle is meant to be fab!

twinkle07

I found a very similar dress online.Im going dress shopping again today.My sister said to have a look in another shop and try on other dresses before making my final decision.She got married over 20 years ago and was not 100% on her dress and to this day its the 1 thing she regrets.So i get to be a princess today for an hr. 😀 😀

twinkle07

Hi beams i pm you hope you got it i never pmed any1 before so hopefully i done it properly.I have alot of gud reports on trim castle yvonne and i just think the hotel is lovely. 😀 😀

beams

I pm’d you back Twinkle07 hope you got that. Yeah Yvonne she is my sis in law -one of many – my dh comes from a large family 😆

twinkle07

hi beams i never got your pm.hope you all had a lovely christmas!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.