Waht do u put in a communion card these days?

Home Forums National Chat Waht do u put in a communion card these days?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    pinkbabe

This is the 1st year my friends have had children making 1st communion & I just haven’t a clue & to be honest I think the children get too much money (for the age of them)

I know if it’s family u’d obviously put more in but what is the norm for friends kids???

mammy

Hi Pink,
    My friends little one just made hers last week. She was shocked at how much people were giving to seven and eight year olds. Most friends gave between 20-30 family gave minimum of 40 euro! The total amount she got was mad.

rossylisa

hey pink if its ur friends then about 20 – 30 but if its family i think a lil bit more why dont u buy her somehting instead and u could save yourself a few bob a nice watch or bracelet from argos 😀

kcireland

pinkbabe I know at my girls school they stopped giving the cards at the church … this was due to the fact that parents were feeling uncomfortable about the amounts. Not everyone is enjoying the benefits of the Celtic Tiger … I guess it takes discretion

pinkbabe

Comunion is tomorrow & it’ll kill me to give him that much he’s a horrible spoilt child, already planning what he’ll buy I’d say he’d be disgusted if I buy him a pressie insted of giving him money. Might really p on his parade & buy him a silver frame or something like u do with a christening!!!

rossylisa

a give him 5 euro then if he is going to be ungratfull 😆 spoit brat 😆

pinkbabe

I think I will buy his mum a nice bottle of wine & get him a frame for around the 15 euro each mark at least I know his mum will appreciate it 😀

nwmum

Well I have a confirmation this week but it was his b-day the other week and gave 40 so am not giving another 40 so have got a €20 voucher for leisure centre. tough if he doesn’t like it I’ll take it back so..

pinkbabe

Leisure plex voucher is a great idea, means they get a day out that doesn’t cost their mum a fortune

Taylor5

For friends kids of kids on the street I give 20, if its family I give either 50 or 100

nwmum

omg €100 for 1st communion! must be special relative! But I suppose when i had ds relatives were giving in the 100’s bit too much money i think though so what do u give at 21’s weddings etc..

ed1
    Participant

my little boy got mostly 20 from friends and neighbours and 50 from family members. he got 100 off my mam and dad, far too much in my opinion. the priest announced the week before at mass that no envelopes were to be exchanged at the church, which was requested by the parents commitee. he has 2 best friends in his class and we agreed to put 10 in card for them. they get far too much money, wouldnt mind making mine again!!!!

pinkbabe

I got around the money thing with my friends child by buying him a 1st communion pen, it’s lovely & something his mother will keep up for him. Was glad I didn’t give him money because when I arrived at the house the child was nowhere to be found, he had gone to Game Stop to spend some of his money. Honestly if my DD even thought about asking could she leave her own party to go shopping I would be mortified as well as disgusted.

happymumblemum
    Participant

I think it is disgusting ( very personal opinion I know!!) to see children banding around so much money especially when some families are not that well off , Also the outfits?? maybe I dont understand but shouldnt it be a standard white gown for all the girls???? as from what i have seen in the last few weeks they all look like mini brides done up t the nines in expensive gear, again i think with a lot of families its all for show, lets beat the jones kinda thing????????? surely the priests and schools could put a stop to the vulgarity that it is fast becoming….. (to be honest I am speaking from wht i have seen at work over the last few weeks)

hope this doesnt sound too judgmental and I dont profess to know much about it but surely it isnt about expensive frocks , tiaras, fancy shoes and wads full of cash???????????????????
    Plus I would bet on them rarely going to church after 🙁
    p.s each to thier own though

nwmum

i totally agree hmm! If u ask any of the kids that come here! did u have a nice day its like " yeas i made ..?€. For my 1st communion I had a plain lace dress actually my mothers wedding dress all cut up and altered and it was lovely but simple. I had no fancy car, no fake tan and no makeup!! Yes I did make some money but sure my parents took it straight off me put it in the credit union.

Do you know the reason money started being given was to help pay for the expense of the communion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.