Violence against women

Home Forums National Chat Violence against women

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Sabbi
    Participant

Like women all over Ireland, I am very shocked and upset about the random attack and murder of Aisling Murphy in Tullamore and the many other attacks and murders of women since. It feels like every other day we are hearing of a woman murdered by an ex partner or stalker. Most of these women knew their attackers. It is very worrying, especially with the rise in popularity of misogynists like Andrew Tate

Aisling, like the other murdered women, was out in broad daylight going for a run. She was doing nothing wrong. She had not been in a dark, covered area, she was in the middle of a populated, well used area. It was not up to her to constantly check around her to see if anyone was behaving suspiciously. It was the middle of the day and she was running in a public place. It is shocking and maddening that this could happen to a woman in broad daylight.

The reaction on social media today has been disgusting. The ‘Poor Men’ are up in arms, they want us to know that #Notallmen are like this. These men on social media are so insecure that they have themselves trending, so us women will know that it’s not all of them who commit these heinous crimes.

Can we just tell these men to feck the feck off. We know it’s not all flipping men but the fact remains that these horrible crimes are purported All By Men! Sarah Everard and Aisling Murphy were doing NOTHING WRONG. The blame lies with the men who murdered them.

It’s frightening that so many men still talk about women in terms of what they would like to do to us….judging what we look like, act like and what we wear. We are judged relentlessly and until these conversations change and the younger generation coming up stop thinking and talking about women as things to be looked at or owned, then violence against women will continue.

I’ve seen the #NotAllMen brigade talking about Aisling Murphy being a ‘poor girl’ She was not a poor girl, she was a fully grown woman and is a Victim of Murder. There is no sugar coating this. She was not a ‘girl who just happened to be in the wrong place and the wrong time’. She was a professional, educated woman who was murdered because some man saw her and decided to take her life.

Until men stop trying to own and control women, horrible crimes like this will continue.

Even now, in 2022, women don’t get paid as much as men. How can we expect to be treated the same when society doesn’t even pay us equally?

I have 3 daughters – how am I supposed to teach them how to stay safe when something like this can happen in broad daylight?

I have been talking with my son since he was small about how he thinks about, talks about and treats women. We need to do this more with boys so they grow up to treat women as they wish to be treated. With respect and without fear

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.