Upcycling – have you tried it?

Home Forums Yummy Mummy to Practical Parenting! Upcycling – have you tried it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

There is a clever and gorgeous little new shop in Drogheda called Quaint on Peter St. that sells chalk paint, its the kind of paint you would use to paint a piece of furniture if you want to give it a distressed look.

I have a small chest of drawers here that I think could look great if it was painted in a distressed greyish colour and I have been thinking of doing it myself butwas terrified I would make a mess of it, so I think I might head along to one of these classes to learn how to do it properly.

Has anyone ever done anything like this?

Jedt
    Keymaster

I went to a 3 hour upcycling class in Quaint shop in Drogheda. It runs on a Monday morning, every other week. The class costs €45 and in it, you learn 3 different painting techniques using chalk paint.

I was a bit apprehansive to be honest. I am not the best at DIY but I knew when I headed home with a tin of the chalk paint, I was going to be tackling an oldpiece of furniture and I was not overly bothered if I made a mess of it (I had been thinking of throwing it out as soon as I could afford to replace it TBH)

I got home and was excited to give the chalk paint a go. There is no sanding needed, you just start painting – even on old pieces of furniture – and then you wax the piece when its dry. It is so easy to do.

I let it dry and I have to say, once it was all done, the wine rack looked great. It was totally transformed from a dark and boring old piece into something new looking.

Here is what I did –

lemonB

I only just saw that shop 2 days ago and funny enough someone was telling abt chalk paint just the day before :D. I’m gonna have a look. 🙂

Jedt
    Keymaster

Its fab LemonB, so easy to do and a very cheap way to transform a piece of furniture or a whole room.

My mam is going to do her kitchen cabinets in it!

lemonB

Nice, maybe you could show us a before and after photo of the cabinets, Im a huge fan of DIY 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.