Uniforms – any thoughts?

Home Forums Education Uniforms – any thoughts?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Personally, I love uniforms.

They cut down on the drama of getting ready in the morning, generally look neat, encourage pride in a school community, help with crowd control when on school outings & make it a lot easier to track down mitchers / troublemakers in a town with several big second level schools. Anyone who thinks they deprive pupils of individuality, hasn’t taught recently!

They don’t have to be expensive if schools have ANY bit of sense. Lidl, Aldi, Tesco are all getting in on the act. Generally, a tie & jumper are the only bits with crests & in a lot of schools you can get the crest separately & attach it to a suitable jumper.

As for shoes – kids need shoes anyways, so I don’t think buying a black pair is a huge issue.

So, anyone else love uniforms?
    Anyone HATE them with a passion?
    Who’s found the cheapest uniform?
    What schools are parent-pocket friendly?
    And what schools need to go on a ridiculous price ‘wall of fame’?

Let us know!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Love the idea of uniforms, but hate that a tracksuit for my kids cost 30 euro EACH! They only wear tracksuit 1/2 days a week so they need uniforms the other 3 days and they are very expensive too.

I have 3 children in school and that’s 90 euro for tracksuits. And that’s only the half of it….

The school ‘recommends’ us to to go a ‘preferred supplier’ 20 miles away from the school for the uniforms but after some searching locally (to avoid that bloody drive and hassle), I found that our local school shop does the same crested uniforms much cheaper!

A crested jumper that costs 21.50 in the recommended supplier, cost me 12 euro in the local Children’s Shop on West st in Drogheda last year and is in great nick, so I don’t need to buy that this year.

So anyone in the Drogheda area who needs crested uniforms, please check out The Children’s Shop. We saved a fortune by going there.

Still, even thought we saved a good bit of money, I think The Minister for Education has done nothing about the escalataing costs of school uniforms and needs to do away with crested uniforms altogether. It is an expense parents do not need and cannot afford anymore.

Righteo, that’s my rant over!!!

pookie2

Agreed – crests do seem to up the cost significantly & I wonder if there is any need for them. And guess what? My kids’ school is CHANGING THEIR CREST next year just before my third starts. Why??? Well, they’d better be prepared to see the old crest for quite some time as I won’t be throwing out any of those jumpers if they are still in good condition….

My fellas get school tracksuits as well – I don’t have a problem with that – I can see why they want kids to have a tracksuit – but if it is the crest that is making them expensive…..

Surely, a school could find something cheaper that is still good quality…

Or sell the crests separately, so that one crest could be sewn on to a jumper & possibly used every year with a new uniform.

Judging by the adverts from the big retailers it should be possible to get a uniform for E20 (trousers / shirt / tie) & a tracksuit for the same if schools made an effort. I wouldn’t complain at buying two uniforms & a tracksuit for E60 considering that my kids really would get wear out of them…..

Will pass the info on that shop on to my sis-in-law in Duleek. Maybe they do schools out that far….

lellykelly

Where our children go we have a choice whether to wear the tracksuit full time or just on PE days which i think is great…..i just got the tracksuit. i think its a much more comfortable option and suitable especially for the winter. When i went to school, the crest was sold for 50p from the school secretary and you could see it on to any jumper and most of mine were knit by my nanny! Cant understand why schools don’t do that now.

pookie2

Yeah, I understand exactly where you are coming from.

One reason that some schools insist on the two (uniform & tracksuit) is a hygiene one. There are situations where the same sweaty tracksuit would be worn every day – & believe me by the time kids (especially boy kids) are in second level, that can be a major issue…. But, apart from that, I think the uniform or tracksuit is a good idea….

Yvonne

Our school has uniform and tracksuit.. and they can wear either and obviously tracksuit on pe days.. The uniform is really only needed if there is something formal on or visitors..

Recently they decided to remove the red stripe from the tracksuit, which is crested, to help reduce costs – everyone was happy with that, but it has only reduced them by €2 – better than nothing I know but it was a nice feature on it.

I think they are looking at getting crests to sew on eventually.

munchin
    Participant

i love the uniform to be honest – the thoughts with 2 girls who have opions on what they wear getting them dressed for school without uniforms no no no – our school does rag day for the last few fridays every year as a fund raiser and my 6.5yr and her 2 friends start discussing what they’re wearing on the monday!!!!!!!!!

pookie we’re Mount hanover in duleek and the children’s shop does our track suit. If i’m not mistaken the national schools have someone come in that sells the uniform ( i could be wrong on this). I don’t mind spending the 30 on the track suit – it’s great quality and has last dd1 2 years and will be going away now for dd2 it’s still perfect. however the "cheap" tracksuits that dd2 got for playschool went after the one year – i know she’s only playschool but i couldn’t have sent her in it this year. She had 2 to alternate and they were both for the bin after the year so that’s what € 14/15 euro but sure i’ve to fork out the same this year. Where as the Children’s shopcrested one is still going we’ll get at least 3 yrs out of it. I still think if we were buying odrinary clothes we’d end up spending more.

i do think though that there should be an option to buy the crests seperately and sew them on

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.