TV’s in Children’s bedrooms

Home Forums National Chat TV’s in Children’s bedrooms

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Happymammy

All i can say is thank god for tv’s on a sat and sun morning!!! 6/7am and mickey mouse and Oso is on in ds2 bedroom, and on repeat! i couldnt care less if its bad for them its worse for them if ive to get up at 6/7am!! 😆 I wouldnt put it on at night because there would be meltdowns at bedtime but definetely recommend it for the early risers! Not sure about having the tv channels, ive only ever put dvd’s on for my two. 😀 No tv in my room RULE NO.1 when we moved intogether 9 years ago!! maybe after next week when im an old married women i will put one in 😉 😉 😆 😆 :lol::lol: 😆 😆

Taylor5

im the only one that watches tv at night 😆 😆 😆 Either that or fall asleep with my head in a book…

Moonflower

well DS has had tv in room from very young age,he sleeps great,deeply all night,no problem and full of beans during day…i have had Tv in bedroom since was about 10 always have on to fall to sleep to & very rare to hear me complaining of being tired during day, personal choice but i wont b taking TV out of DS bedroom or mine as i see it as a positive…but do agree its good to choose wat they watch like i do myself dont watch action films or disturbing thought wrencing stuff!

My BIL & SIL both child psycologists & definately no tv in any bedroom room, but whole family constantly tired, lack of sleep they say! if u call at their house wen children asleep u have to whisper you could play music full blast in mine DS sleeps through! everyones different but dont always let advice by experts sway yr own choices for yoru family!

Taylor5

I agree think tv noise is good… my kids sleep through the hover etc

i would look into getting a tv dvd in a few years for ds1… he is the type of child who would watch it all night. He can use the internet and found him one night about 11pm 😯 in the office on the net playing a game on cbeebies 🙄

hjs

Don’t think the thread is about pressurising anyone to remove tvs from rooms.

Nor was I saying you won’t get sleep if tv in room you fall asleep to it. Rather that the quality of sleep is not as good. Certainly folks can still function well after a period of tv viewing immediately prior to sleep, but in many cases, they would have functioned EVEN BEETER without the tv viewing. Think that’s the jist of the science and certainly is the case for me and mine.

More research suggests that on average, a child in the stage of acquiring language can lose up to six words an hour of tv watched in the day. Quite interesting.

I limit tv to ABSOLUTE MAX 2 HRS per day and often feel guilty about that, esp in winter. But then often in summer they get none at all, too busy out playing with friends for it. Much prefer it that way personally.

Each to their own…

Maria30

Thread was definitely not started to pressure anybody to remove TVs from bedrooms. I was just curious if many kids have them and the reasons they do or dont. I suppose with ds1 heading towards the teenage years I was wondering what the situation was in other peoples houses.

Moonflower

no, i dont think its about that but what we do have to remember is we dont all have to agree & what is right for one family/child is not for another!

best advice i was ever given is trust yr own instincts about whats right for your own children, & even some of the experts have to say that they often find this is right & textbooks & scientific studies are not a written rule we all must follow!

but good to know what others think…trouble with me i am often in minority with my parenting ideas…but have a happy healthy DS & thats whats important in long run!

Babs

Its a very interesting debate…I grew up with a tv in my room (a crap portable black and white one which was more effort to watch than not!!)…but as a result I find it very difficult to be in bed at night without it on…I am very sure that it is also partly to blame for my lack of interest in reading too….therefore I am against my children having tvs in their rooms…in the mornings they pile in from 6am (yes, 6am) to watch ceebeebies…and I prefer it that way…I am sure as they get older they may start to ask for one, and we’ll cross that bridge then but for now I feel their bedroom should be for playing in the daytime and relaxing and reading in the evening…

Maria30

Moonflower, your totally right about trusting your instincts. I think you have to do what suits your family and your lifestyle. Once kids and parents are happy and healthy that is the main thing. 😀

Moonflower

same here, black & white portable, fuzzy picture 😆

I would say i watch about 10mins telly then off to sleep,but i could read for hours in bed 🙂 especially if a good book! but you are right it is a habit formed from young age..

Moonflower

sorry Maria, missed you reply 🙂 hope we have all helped you a bit anyway…

Maria30

Ds1 is happy enough going to bed and reading for a while so we will do with the tv for another few years 😀

Have to get back into the habit of reading to ds2 when he goes to bed. I read to him during the day but would be nice to have some proper quiet time with him without any distractions

Taylor5

moonflower im the same as you watch a bit of tv 10 mins or 20min put tv on timer, im not even watching it half the time, just like the sound to drown out dh’s snoring 😆 😆 😆
    Could stay up all night reading too.

We had a crappy black and white tv in our room…. it was a push button one, so we would watch shit as neither of us would change over too much trouble 🙄

yummymummy

I couldnt live without the tv in my room. It drowns out the excessive noise from next door 🙂 Also I must say there is nothing better than waking on a sat morning and flaking out in bed watching saturday tv muc haha.

Ds doesnt even watch the channels apart from the simpsons and football….he watches dvd’s mostly, latest one is the chipmunks sequel…..them squeeky voices singing all the single ladies does my head in haha am i glad he is in his room watching it and not taking over tv in sit room.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.