Turkey & Ham!!!

Home Forums National Chat Turkey & Ham!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    ruby

to cut a long story short i find myself today with less than 2 weeks to xmas offering to cook xmas dinner…….sis in law was supposed to be doing it as it was "her turn"….but her mam has taken ill and she has to go to england to look after her……………..is it very late to be ordering a turkey and ham?????……..im ashamed to say ive never done it before!!!!….how spoilt am i!!!!!………girl in work told me to order a turkey (boned and Rolled)??????….havent a clue……off tomorow so will go downtown and order it……where will i go????…..im clueless…..ah what the hell…..how hard can it be????? HELP!!!!!….all advice on where to go etc greatly appreciated!!!….ps will be cooking for 8 adults and couple of kids

sweetpea1979

you could try Marks and Spencer – they do a lovely ham for christmas – i know the ordering date has gone but they may be able to help…..otherwise i’m sure the butchers or even the likes of Dunnes would have something that may be helpful…

hope this helps….

Taylor5

Ruby where do you live? The butchers in bryanstown is very good or Callaghans in Bettystown (think thats the name)

First of all how many will you be feeding? Marks and Sparks stuff very expensive…..
    Im not a lover of turkey but like a slice of breast on dinner then the odd sandwich, we got a boned and rolled one year and it was horrible!!! Can you imagine a turkey minus the bones all in a roll, so the black meat is mixed in with the breast iykwim.
    If you are just cooking and buying enough turkey for one meal on xmas day then a full breast should be enough for a good few adults, you might only need a ham fillet rather then a full ham…. if you go to Hoeys in Bryanstown Brendan or Mary will advise on what you would need for the numbers your feeding.
    Good luck…. Oh Goose fat for your roast potaoes makes them taste just yummy… and you cant have xmas dinner without marrowfat peas, not that dh would agree could cause a divorce in this house 🙄 😆 😆 😆

Maria30

Dont panic you still have plenty of time to order a turkey and ham. There is a new butchers in the Southgate centre or you could try any of the Tuites butchers in Drogheda. They are on the Bullring, Laurences st and Trinity st. They are all very good and helpful too.

Taylor5

Tuites are brilliant… I use the bull ring ones and they are so nice and helpfull (all butchers are)
    Did that butchers open in Southgate… oh must check it out

mumof2

Hi Ruby,

If you go into tuites on the bull ring (the bottom of barrack street) and tell kevin or edmund how many you are feeding and what you need they will look after you well. I cant fault them been dealing with them week in week out for over 10 years now and never had one problem with there quality of meet, its first class. Boned and rolled is just the way i love it and the way i am getting it this year. They are doing a deal atm a turkey boned and rolled and a ham for 45 euro so thats what am doing. Best of luck with your christmas dinner and can i give you a little tip. If you cook the turkey and ham xmas eve it takes alot of the pressure off xmas day. Enjoy and have a merry christmas.

Taylor5

Ah no i cook the ham on xmas eve and the turkey on xmas morning… yum yum
    God thats a brilliant offer for a turkey and ham….. eh why the heck didnt you tell me?

Maria30

Taylor 5, the butchers in Southgate opened the end of November. They seem to have good selection.

Ruby, did your sister in law have her turkey and ham ordered? If so could you not take her order

Bookwitch

Not too late to order from Tuites at the BullRing I must order mine too it was around this time last year when I ordered they will do a boned and rolled turkey for you if you want it is so handy

mumof2

Never thought of telling you Taylor you see I have visions of you running round a turkey farm wanting to catch your own, in a beautiful pair of green wellies up to yours ears in turkey shit haha lol 😆 😆 😆 you that loves the farms 🙂 🙂

Bookwitch

just realised I didn’t read your post mum of 2 so I just repaeated everything you said Doh 😳

hjs

Christmas dinner comes in several boxes to my house, all marked M and S (Newry, Taylor, ha ha, I will be up there 8 am Christmas Eve with my UK Barclaycard). I spend a strenuous ten minutes opening, removing and placing delicately in fridge or oven. Then for the next 8 hours do nothing more than raise a glass – marvellous!

And before I get comments of the "you lazy so and so" variety, I did do Xmas dinner, once. I didn’t feel the appreciation received proprtionate to the effort expelled in making it (4 days to prep, 10 mins to scoff, 1 sec to say "ta love, that was v nice" so y waste my time when Mr Marks and Mr Spencer do so much a better job than me?!!!

sweetpea1979

hjs i hear you…….i to0 visit M & S for my meat for christmas day – why do more work than i’ve done all year round, so may as well do the easy bit of putting into oven and leaving it till it’s cooked!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

and the meat isn’t that much more expensive than any other shop that sells ham and turkey and all the work is done for me!!! lazy – not a chance, one day to have fab meat and minimum work – so i too can enjoy the day!!!

hjs

That’s my kinda Xmas Trudy!!!! Why we gonna exhaust ourselves, ruin our blow-dry and chip our manicures on Xmas when we wouldn’t dream of risking them the entire rest of year?!? 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Taylor5

Never thought of telling you Taylor you see I have visions of you running round a turkey farm wanting to catch your own, in a beautiful pair of green wellies up to yours ears in turkey poo haha lol 😆 😆 😆 you that loves the farms 🙂 🙂

No he doesnt have turkeys this year so have to fed for myself 😆 😆 😆 I remember as a child my dad saying "oh i got the turkey" it was running around the back yard!!!! didnt eat turkey for years 😆 😆 😆 little did I know a few years later I’d be standing in a barn with 400 turkeys helping to kill them…… never worked so hard in my life, so NOT worth it…. but we had a free free range turkey for years… spoilt rotten. Think he has 2 turkeys now but they just in his garden for his own dinner 🙄 😆 😆 😆 😆

Hjs… hope you dont get stuck in traffic on xmas eve and hope m&s arent sold out of turkey dinners……. dont come calling to me for some yummy turkey if they are 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 Sure you wouldnt eat "Irish turkey"………. 🙄 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.