Traditions

Home Forums National Chat Traditions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    libby1
    Participant

Just wondering – do people still do this tradition

Go off alcohol for month of November??

yummymummy

Never ever heard ofthat one.

Taylor5

I always go off the drink on the run up to xmas…. just something that was always done at home…. havent had a drink in a few weeks and wont have one till xmas

munchin
    Participant

have heard of it alright – friend of mine does it every year

hjs

I had a very bad night with the booze 2nd Aug, really put me off, have had 1 glass champagne and 2/3 glasses wine since ( 2 sep occasions). May celebrate with a glass bubbles when dd gets home from her big trip 4th Dec, but other than that will not be touching til Xmas like Taylor.

Am also giving up choc, crisps, cakes, sweets and biscuits til Xmas from tomorrow too. In a small part cos I wanna start shifting the excess, but mostly because of something it’s only taken me 36 yrs to realise seeing as this is my first time doing it…There is so much delish food and drink around Xmas AND ITS RUN-UP, that to deny uself for a while before, just makes it taste so much nicer!!!!!

libby1
    Participant

I will be off it now till christmas too – Have a lot of meal outing in next three weeks… Water for me….

Need to shift some extra pounds… get fit

I aim for mini – mharaton in June…..

libby1
    Participant

I will be off it now till christmas too – Have a lot of meal outing in next three weeks… Water for me….

Need to shift some extra pounds… get fit

I aim for mini – mharaton in June…..

Taylor5

i love to cut back on the run up and then splurg on all the goodies over the xmas, kinda guilt free iykwim…. i find it really makes me enjoy the whole holidays more!

hjs

agreed, Taylor 😀

Jedt
    Keymaster

I might go off it and then have a few tipples at our Christmas party on 10th December. I usually give up chocolate for a few weeks before Christmastoo – makes the selection boxes that much tastier!!!

happymumblemum
    Participant

Don’t drink really but won’t be giving up any thing else..especially NOT chocolate….

We usually start buying a few bits and bobs choc wise coming up to Xmas but usually end up eating them before…I think one year we milled 3 big tubs of Celebrations before Mid December 😆

Taylor5

I put a tub of celebrations into the pinatta on sunday, the kids loved them…. i have 2 tins of quality street hidden upstairs on dh… i bribe him that he cant open the sweets until the tree is up 😆 😆 😆
    Oh and i HAVE to have a large box of scots clans, scots clans and popcorn yum yum!!!!
    Dunnes marble cake or gateau layer cake (only get it in Dunnes) Brussel sprouts cooked in the pan with fried bacon strips, marrowfat peas… yum yum!!! Curly Wurly 😀 😀 😀 😀

It’s like lent, you give something up during the month of November for the Holy Souls. I would usually give up something…this year chocolate and coffee (am preggers so off the booze already). My dad died almost 13 years ago now and both my inlaws are deceased (my mother-in-law only last year), not to mind grandparents etc. – It makes me feel like I’m doing something for them. x

MaryE

Yep, my dad gives up alcohol every November without fail.

My brothers usually grow a beard for November (dont ask me why) but this year one of them is growing a moustache for November as he is raising money for charity, its called "Movember" – its for prostate cancer foundation & to raise awareness of Mens health.

Taylor5

in our house as kids on xmas eve no lights could be turned on, the first light in the house was a candle lit by the youngest in the house and placed in the window of the livingroom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.