Things to do with kids on summer holidays

Home Forums National Chat Things to do with kids on summer holidays

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

We thought we would start off a thread where we can share ideas for family friendly days out over the summer for things to do with the children while they are off school….

Please add your suggestions everyone…..we all need inspiration to keep the little ones happy and our bank balances not empty for the 9 weeks they will be off. Thank you!! :D

Jedt
    Keymaster

Ardgillen Castle is fab. Free in, huge grounds, massive playground and loads of areas for picnics etc. Stunning views and a new coffee bar inside serving yummy Java Republic coffee (for the parents who need it to run after the children!).

Newbridge House & Farm is brilliant. Again, huge playground, picnic areas and small fee to get into the farm. Think its about 12-14 euro for a family. There is ice-cream and coffee inside and I think they still do sambos too if you do not want to bring a lunch. Great walks to see all the animals. They have ponies, bulls, cows, chicks, pigs, goats and loads more. There are usually a few peacocks roaming around too looking beautiful. They have a lake with ducks and swans and sometimes a few black swans. Its a great spot and you can spend literally a whole day here for very little cost.

munchin
    Participant

Yeah love both those places – no doubt dh & kids will be at both at some point

There’s also Newgrange Farm altough haven’t been there yet
    Red mountain (haven’t been since it opened)
    Phoneix park – throw scooters and a picnic in the boot and plenty of space to have picnic and explore – Farmeligh house usually has markets on a sunday i think

My hubby is letting the girls "help" him decorate dd2’s room over the holidays…..that should be fun 😉

Jedt
    Keymaster

Paint party!!!!!!! 😀 😀 😀 😀 Sounds so fun (for the girls but not so much for your hubby!!)

Next month in July we are hoping to do a Mumstown beach party in bagel Bar, Laurence Town Centre for our event on 2nd July. So that should be a good morning out for the kiddies. And free, so won’t break the bank for parents.

Collins Barracks has a museum and my Dad took my son last year when he was 9 and he loved it. Its all about history of Ireland and there are uniforms and weapons etc and apparently thats very good and very cheap in as well.

pinata ruth

Slieve Gullion girls is one that I only discovered recently. Amazing playground, lovely cafe, Ice-cream (well is was important the day we were there!) and lovely drive around the top of the mountain……bring a picnic and have it half way around the drive for perfect views.

North of dundalk on the jonesbourgh exit.

OH did i mention its free.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Claralara is an outdoor funpark in Wicklow. I have not been since I was a kid myself when I went with my girl guide group; so we are going to bring our children this year for a day out.

Its not expensive and you can bring & make a BBQ or picnic yourself there too to keep costs down. Here is more on that one:
    http://www.claralara.com/frames.htm

Jedt
    Keymaster

And for anyone in or travelling to Kerry, here are some ideas:

Dingle Dolphin tours!! Depart from Dingle main pier at the tourist info offices (beside bronze Fungie statue ). Tour Duration 1 hour approx / No age restrictions / suitable for all the family. Tour is in very calm waters in Dingle harbour and children under 3 yrs free. Adult fare €16 child under 12 yrs €8, group and family discounts available per size on demand.
    Tours departs at least every hour from 10am to 5-6pm every day (7 days) More frequent in July & August with no long waiting times and no prior reservation needed.
    Each Tours guarantee seeing Fungie up close 1st beside the boat and beautiful scenery in Dingle harbour and bay, as all fares are collected at the end of the tour on board 😀
    http://www.dingledolphin.com / http://www.fungiedolphin.com

Oceanworld Aquarium Dingle
    Oceanworld Aquarium is situated in Dingle town in County Kerry and hosts Ireland’s largest collection of Sharks. As well as all the fish & sharks, the Kids Zone is open during weekends at the moment and from 6th July to end of August will be open daily from 12- 5pm. Kids zone includes free face painting, puppets shows, interactive experiments, colouring and crafts for kids, make you own larger than life bubbles and you can even make your own rain! Admission to the Kids zone is included in aquarium admission price, tickets are valid for the day so you can come and go as you please. They have also decreased our family tickets by €2 this year.
    See – http://www.dingle-oceanworld.ie/

Yvonne

Oldbridge House

Stephenstown Pond

Townley Hall

Dun Na Ri

All we need now is for the good weather to come back!

libby1
    Participant

Primary Times is a great source of finding places to go.. You can free copies in local librarys

happymumblemum
    Participant

What’s Dun Na Ri Yvonne ?

Jedt
    Keymaster

Irish National Stud is another great day out. My mam-in-law took two of our daughters last year for a day. They loved the space to run around and the gardens and horses and overall, they had a great time.

Its a big place so they spent the whole day there and came home knackered and very happy. See here: http://irishnationalstud.ie/

mammycool
    Participant

Dun na Ri is a park outside Kingscourt opp Cabra castle. Great place to walk around and have picnics and chase trolls!!

Rathbeggan lakes just up the old N3 from Dunshaughlin is a great place. There is a fee in but they have lots on.

Dalgan Park – between Navan and Dunshaughlin – small park with woods and walks.

Belvedere House and Gardens – Mullingar. Fee in. Playgrounds, coffee shop, lake, woods and gardens.

Tesco clubcard does great days out – last year we did the zoo, Irish National Stud(Kildare), Irish Heritage Centre(Wexford) all for free. They have loads more – including Tayto Park.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Anyone been to Newgrange? We have never bought the children there and wondering is it good for them or are they too young? ages 10, 8, 6 and 2 (well nearly!)

Yvonne

Yes Dun na Ri is big park/wood… big walks around and plenty of picnic space!

Sabbi, my DD is nearly 9 and went to Newgrange on her school tour and she enjoyed it! Not sure if the younger ones would?

mammycool
    Participant

We go to Newgrange every year for the Easter egg hunt and the kids love it.

They get to see lots of baby animals. Pet the pups. Holds the chicks. Feed the lambs. Watch the blacksmith. Feed the ducks. This is usually earlier in the year – so not too sure how many baby animals would still be about. There are sheep races and other activities at the weekends.

It is a bit expensive for a family. There is a coffee shop but very limited. They have both indoor and outdoor picnic areas.

There is a big sand pit with lots of toys. An area in the barn with toy tractors and playhouses. A maze in the barn made out of hay. Good fun for a few hours.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.