Things to do on Mid-Term break with little ones

Home Forums National Chat Things to do on Mid-Term break with little ones

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

If you have any ideas for things to do with the little ones during Summer school break, please share. We have lots of days to fill so lets get creative!!!! We all need a little bit of inspiration at times :D

Here is one for rainy days that we absolutely loved!!!

A visit to the Butlers Chocolate experience makes for the perfect day out.

A hands-on guide to the inner workings of a real-life chocolate factory, this action-packed tour is perfect for chocolate lovers of all ages.

Watch the Chocolate Movie to learn about the fascinating origins and history of chocolate. Stroll through the Museum, picking up nuggets of information about chocolate through the ages. Soak in the aroma and atmosphere of the Butlers factory as you gaze down on the factory floor and witness the production of Butlers Chocolates in real time.
    Opening Hours:

Tours (1.5 hours approx) run at 10am, 12pm and 3.30 pm Monday to Saturday and Bank Holidays (these days may subject to change, please check online for availability). All tours must be booked in advance!

Situated just five minutes from the M50/M1 junction, close to the Port Tunnel, Dublin Airport and Malahide. Plenty of complimentary car and coach parking on site.

Entrance price: €13.50 per person.

Check availability & book online NOW and save 5%! Click on the link below to book.
    http://www.butlerschocolates.com/chocolateexperience

Jedt
    Keymaster

We are thinking of going to Dublinia – has anyone been? Is it any good?

Bookwitch

Went a few years ago and loved it. Husband brought the younger ones last year (then six and eight)and they loved it too

CaliGal

Seeing as every kid but mine are Lego mad.. there is the "Art of Brick" exhibition on

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=8775152 … ofthebrick

Fabienne

Newgrange.
    Keep saying I’ll bring the kids and never do. Now it’s the time.
    Fabienne

munchin
    Participant

I’m done Dublinia but not with the kids – must put it on the list.
    Viking splash was good fun but if I’m not mistaken you’ve done it.
    Newbridge house and farm usually have Easter Trail /Tour on.
    We’re going in to the Cardbury Egg Trail on Easter Saturday (merrion square)

Jedt
    Keymaster

Is Dublinia good for 9 & 10 year olds? Should we leave the 6 year old at home?

Think might go to Newbridge Farm, enjoyed that when we went last Easter.

Want to do an egg hunt here at home in the garden wit the kids and their friends too – we had an Easter quiz last year and our kids were talking about it the other day and saying how much fun it was. I did not know that they enjoyed it that much or would remember it, so goes to show sometimes its the simple things at home they remember most!!

Irish National Stud is opening a new playground and they have pony rides too. Our kids went with their Nanna and auntie last year and absolutely loved it – they spent a full day there and had a blast. Not expensive either.

Think we’ll spend some time on the beach too – sure, its on our doorstep, might as well make most of it!!!

munchin
    Participant

I’d say the 9/10yr olds would love the Dublina – not sure about the 6yr old but it’s been a while since i was there

We do an easter egg hunt on Easter morning – i have to set it up before i go to bed – i started it about 4yrs ago and now there isn’t a hope i’d get away with not doing it ha ha!

scole1

red mountain farm have an offer on groupon at the moment too, it’s the only time i’d go when you don’t have to pay full price

you could take a trip to the museums collin’s barracks is good

visit the drogheda library it’s just been renovated too

take a walk in oldbridge

balrath woods is nice for a walk too and some play things dotted about the woods

jumpzone in santry indoor trampoline place havent been but they have another place in sandyford too

there is also the fairy woods in dublin corkaigh park think near clondalkin check the irish fairy door company’s facebook page they have details

other wise there is also the option of getting crafty with the kids, bake, and lots of arts and crafts kids enjoy getting messy and creative and you don’t have to spend a fortune either look around the house and see what can be used for creative days..

make sock puppets, have a puppet show, make homemade jewellery, paint on the windows and get them washing them afterwards.

you could go scavenger hunting on the beach, print off some images of what could they find at the beach and let them bring it with them see what they could check off the list

collect sea shells and rocks and bring them home and let them paint them

breda marron local artist also has something on a workshop in the highlanes gallery in drogheda http://www.breadmarron.com

there is plenty to do with kids that wont cost the earth…picnics and time with you is plenty…

if you want to also you can check out Curious Sponges on Facebook with ideas of crafts to do with kids that won’t cost the earth lost of cupboard crafts too https://www.facebook.com/pages/Curious- … 9191546912

CaliGal

Brilliant suggestions Scole1!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

i would highly recommend Newgrange Farm Slane, we went yesterday and it was a big hit with Hailey. she got to feed a lamb a bottle of milk , hold a baby chick, feed bread to ducks, feed chicken feed to the chickens, practice milking a fake real sized cow, pet puppies. look at goats, donkeys, cows , Shetland ponies etc….

Apart from animals they have a lot of activities for kids, she could go on kid sized tractors, play in a huge out door sandpit with little diggers that you could move the sand & plenty of buckets & spades, go through huge tunnels, play hide & seek in the hay shed,

There was a large picnic area too that you could have your own food in or else they had their own coffee shop, a really nice family run place. quite reasonably priced too.

if you want to check it out http://www.newgrangefarm.com

munchin
    Participant

my 2 are apparently out front weeding the front garden! make the most of the dry weather while it’s there!

ed1
    Participant

This place looks good http://www.chocolatewarehouse.ie

I haven’t been there myself but have seen photos on Facebook and it looks good.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Here is something else on this weekend for families –

Dublin Zoo to host Easter Egg-Stravaganza!!
    Dublin Zoo is having an egg-cellent line up of fun filled activities taking place this Easter Sunday and Monday, 11am – 4 pm.

The Easter Treasure Trail will keep the whole family entertained as clues will take you around the Zoo, hopping your way to the Asian Forests, bouncing past the elephants Kaziranga trail and through the Family Farm, wishing all of the animals a ‘Happy Easter’ as you pass.

Don’t forget to take your dancing shoes as the Easter Bunny will be making an appearance at the Dublin Zoo Bunny Hop Dance on the Great Lawn beside Haughton House.

Children will also have the chance to create a piece of Easter magic at the arts and crafts station as well as having the exciting opportunity of watching the animals receive their tasty Easter treats.

With special keepers talks running throughout the day there is certainly something for everyone this Easter Sunday and Easter Monday.

munchin
    Participant

There’s also an Easter Egg Trail inMerrion Square on Sat – I think the first one is sold out but we got tickets for the afternoon one. it’s in aid of Barnardos and sponsored by Cadbury’s – my girls are really looking forward to it -there’s 12 of us going!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.