Things to do & see in Mayo!

Home Forums Mayo Chat Things to do & see in Mayo!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

Hi all,

We are heading to Westport for our wedding anniversary next week for a little romantic break (which basically means we are abandoning our 3 children for some fun ‘alone time’ for a few days!!)

Apart from sleeping (uninterrupted) and eating (uninterrupted!) and doing the other thing (uninterrupted) – sounds blissful doesn’t it – has anyone any recommendations for places to go, or visit and things to see?

Wouldn’t mind going somewhere for a nice walk, somewhere scenic..

Any suggestions most welcome!

Taylor5

SEX, SEX AND MORE SEX!!!!! 😉 (admin you can give me that tenner when you get back 😉 )

libby1
    Participant

Built up an appetite – Climb Croagh Patrick

Taylor5

That is something i would LOVE TO DO… climb Croagh Patrick that is

pookie2

On the sametheme – but after a time lapse….

We were at Westport House and had a brill day. Not cheap, but great for kids. Indoor play area, go-karts, playground, a train, swan pedalos (peddle boats), a few rides, bouncy castle…. Think called Pirates Adventureland or something similar. Mixture of inside & outside stuff. Lovely cafe in dungeon area. but limited selection. Toilets down there are fab. Good mix of inside & outside stuff & fine big grounds. Walk the legs off them….

Also hubby, 4 and 2 year old had lovely swim at Castklecourt Hotel for E10. Now. that’s not bad & staff were lovely…

Turlough – village outside Castlebar also has a lot to offer – National Museum, a big Garden Centre called Horkans that also does gifts etc, has a restaurant & petshop (like a free mini-zoo!!) & round tower in great condition.

If anyone else knows of things to do with kids in Mayo area – especially general area of Castlebar / Westport, please let me know, or post here.

mumof2

Built up an appetite – Climb Croagh Patrick

Holy Moly we dont want Sabbi going into early labour climbing Croagh Patrick but defo drive out that far. Its beautiful. We stayed in Westport last summer. Stayed in the westport woodlands house hotel. A fab place, the staff could’nt have been nicer. There is a lovely cruise you could do up a little cruise ship up the Killiney. (sp) will find out the exact spelling of it. Its a beautiful trip and nice history attached to it. Also the food on the cruiser is yum yum yum 🙄 🙄 🙄 me and food…my biggest downfall lol. Also to drive through the mountains and the views are fab. Then there is Kylemore abbey house and gardens. A beautiful place. Its about 50km (30miles) from westport and takes about 3/4 to and hours drive but well worth it.

pookie2

And the Connemara National Park (free) is only a stone’s throw from Kylemore (think small kids are free). The Diamond Mountain Trail is fab & there is a shorter nature trail for kids, a playground & a cafe. The walks aren’t really buggy friendly, in that parts would need two people to lift a buggy for stretches…. Near that you can take a day trip to Innishboffin (think under 5s are free). Dolphin’s were accompanying the boat last week!

Back to Westport: Achill Island is fabulous in good weather & the new bridge makes it easy to get there. More blue flag beaches than you can shake a stick at. Great for water sports too. Can I recommend Achill Holiday Homes & Keel Sandybanks Caravan & Camping Park as economical, child-friendly places to stay down there? Both have web-sites.

Clare Island can also be visited for a day

While in Westport can I recommend:
    (a) Castlecourt Hotel: has lovely pool & baby pool, open to public. Hubby & two small kids E10 & you can use your pool ticket to get a discount off a meal in the hotel

(b) The Towers Restaurant & Bar down at the Quays. Perfect for adults, but even better is have kids. Food great & it has it’s own playground!!!! If weather nice you can eat outside while kids go wild….

(Sabbi & Evil Admin, could you edit this thread & title to be a ‘what-to-do & see in Mayo thread’. Might help those planning ‘staycations’)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Updated as requested Pookie!

pookie2

Am on a roll, so….

Cycle path from Westport to Achill Sound now open. Runs more or less along old railway line. Perfect for a family adventure as NOT part of the road.

Westport also has a recently opened skate park.

You can also walk cross country from Ballintubber Abbey to the top of Croagh Patrick. Great Family Adventure, but you’d need to do a bit of training first. All signposted. Kind of cross country.

Burriscarra Abbey is in ruins but is actually a great place to bring small kids (FREE). near it are the ruins of Castle Carra (open to public, but across private land – is public right of way. Just close gates etc as is working farm). Moore Hall House & Forest on the edge of Lough Carra also good for day out with younger kids.

Playgrounds: great ones in Castlebar, Newport, Keel (Achill), Westport (2), Claremorris…. If anyone knows of others, please add!

Soft play areas: Castlebar & Claremorris (I’d rank the one in Claremorris as better & friendlier), Ballina. Probably others but don’t know them personally.

There is also a cafe place beside it where you can paint pottery etc.

Open Farm beside Ballyhaunis is great. Can’t think of exact name….

Berry

Just booked a midweek break for the family in august yesterday. All this is very timely information – Thanks.

Berry

pookie2

If you let me know where & age group, I’ll be happy to give you ny more info if I have it…. 😀

pookie2

Don’t know what age group are making the journey, but can I recommend Belvedere House & Park outside Mullingar & Strokestown House & Gardens in Co. Roscommon (?) as great places to break the journey. From Dundalk to the coast of Mayo can be over 4 hours travel time….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.