SWINE FLU & GOING BACK TO SCHOOL !

Home Forums National Chat SWINE FLU & GOING BACK TO SCHOOL !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Reading the papers it seems there is a real fear that the swine flu will spread much faster when the children go back to school.

Do all schools have soap, handtowels, driers and is it just the schools my children go to that don’t have soap in them most of the time and use regular handtowels that must spread germs like crazy. My daughter has brought in soap out of frustration and they hate using towls that god only know how many hands have been wiped in. Don’t forget they also have to eat their lunch in school too and don’t get to wash hands with soap….I don’t think I’m over the top asking my kids to wash their hands properly in school

Still find it amazing we teach our children to go to the toilet, wash your hands with soap etc. and then no soap in schools. The older girl in secondary said its because girls were putting the liquid soap on floors….not sure if true.

Happymammy

Yes thats true beleive it or not they say soap on the floor is more of a hazard than germs on your hands 🙄
    Anyways, im really worried about it. I would have no problem wearing them masks until a vaccine became available. In fact i think we should be all wearing them as it is now.
    I have bought the little bottle of hand sanitiser and everyone is getting squirted!! 😆 The thoughts of it makes me sick with the worry!! 😯 😯 😯

cathmc1

To be honest, I am not worried at all. It is just a flu. As with all flu, the people at serious risk are the elderly and people with serious illnesses. There is no way I wouldgive a healthy person a vaccine. If the kids get it, I am confident that their immune systems will handle it and they will get over it in a couple of days.

I agree with having high standards of hygiene in schools. Parents and teachers should always be reminding kids how to stop the spread of germs.

Happymammy

I hear what your saying but ive never come across a child with the flu before so im not worried for me im more worried for my children. I hate the thoughts of them being so ill and the pain you are in when you have the flu. I have only had the flu once in my life and i can tell you it took me nearly 4 weeks to recover. It tested every part of my body. I lost 2 stone. My daughter only weighs 2 stone! 🙁

cathmc1

I agree. I would hate to see them get it. But I thank my lucky stars that I have healthy kids as I know they would recover. I feel so sorry for people in the high risk category. My niece has a heart condition. She gets the flu vaccine every winter. My poor sister is really worried that she might catch as it would affect her much more and maybe weaken her heart.

Almae

well as a mother whos daughther is currently on Tamiflu for Swine flu , I can tell you their immune systems wont handle it .

Its terrifying , the temps they go too our dd went to 39.6 and that was very concerning for us, the crying screaming with pains in their hands , feet, joints its not easy.

Please dont think your children are invisable regardless if they have an underlying illness or not.
    Remember we are parents and of what I know none of us are docs , so dont play with ur childs health because u think their immune systems can handle it.

thats all I want to say , and hubby and I are now starting Tamiflu today as we are showing symptoms and my hubby is as healthy as an ox , his last cold was in march 06…..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Agree with happymammy……don’t ever remember any of mine or any I know having flu as a child and being really sick with it. A cold yes but not a full blown flu. I am worried especially for my 1yr old….but as I said originally I’m worried about the school going ones too (I have 3) as none of the schools are big into soap and use regular towels.

I still think info is scatty and you hear one thing then another……there was talk of school not starting until mid September but then all politicians go on a long summer break and nothing sorted still….they’re not back until 2nd week of Sept I think.

Children shouldn’t have to suffer such a severe flu by the sounds of it…and no parents should have to loose a child to it, but reality is it has happened.

Jedt
    Keymaster

We’re in the middle of an epidemic and the politicians are off on their holidays, bloody disgrace!

My sister is entering her leaving cert year in Sept. and has been told she won’t be starting school until middle of September. I don’t know yet if my sons school will be affected.

There is so much conflicting advice and information. I’m keeping up with the news and I still feel confused about it all….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sabbi is she in a local school………heard rumours but havent a clue whats happening. Getting worried when they send kids home from Irish schools and close them yet they still plan on opening all schools in September…………whats the story!!!!

Fabienne

As soon someone knows anything about going back to school can you let me know?
    The schools I need to know are :
    laytown primary NS (senior school), but could be nice as well to know about junior school.

And as well about Gaescoil an Brahdain feasa.

If it’s delay then I’d love to go back in France and visit my family and enjoy a bit of sunshine (the last rays before next summer 😥 )

And if schools going back later what’s the situation about community and private playschools?

Fabienne

Taylor5

I know its a worry, the school will be back in 2.5 weeks!!!! My nephew is back on the 27th or 28th 😯 Ds is due to start playschool on September 1st, I dont know about creches but if its a general guide from the hse/Dept of Education Im sure who every monitors creches will enfore the delay too….. but Im just guessing.

I heard a load of kids send home from Irish collage due to break out, its a worry…. I think they will delay the schools opening untill the vacine is ready, think it will be ready earlier then they thought….. but still not tested!!!!!

yummymummy2

Sabbi,

Can you tell us what secondary school that is please – I have two children returning to secondary school and I have not received any information about this. I am really worried about them as I really do consider that many children will become infected when the schools reopen in a couple of weeks.

Thank you

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just reading the 3rd level collegs have hand gels in place for students coming in the door etc. to try control outbreak of swine flu…..what are primary and secondary schools doing…..

lulu1

My dd has to bring her own wash bag with towel,soap and toilet roll to school going to send in a hand sanitiser as well.

Taylor5

The chemist in Scotch hall have a great hand sanitiser for sale its 6 euro, but its like a pump soap, you use it with water and it smells fab…. so its a 2 in 1 so to speak

Byranstown pharmacy also do a gel version, only use a tiny bit and it a big bottle (about 100ml) ds loves it 3 odd euro.

Heard on the news its all systems go for the return next week….. my nephews are back on Wednesday, they are coming to the waterpark this weekend (i promised them I’d bring them over their holidays!!! ) They were told they will be sent home if anyone is sick in their class or their teacher is sick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.