Stroke advice from Irish Heart Foundation

Home Forums Exercise, Nutrition, Health Issues & illness Stroke advice from Irish Heart Foundation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Irish Heart Foundation is asking people:

‘When Stroke Strikes, Act F.A.S.T’

A stroke is a ‘brain attack’, caused by a disturbance in the blood supply to the brain. It is a medical emergency that requires immediate medical attention. So recognizing the signs of a stroke and calling 999 foran ambulance is crucial.

How do you know if someone has had a stroke? The signs are:
    FFace…Has their face fallen on one side?
    AArms…Can they raise both arms and keep them there?
    SSpeech….is their speech slurred?
    TTime to call 999…. if you see any single one of these signs

The sooner somebody who is having a stroke gets urgent medical attention, the better their chances of a good recovery.

For more information visit http://www.stroke.ie

noeleenw

this is so timely as my sister is in hospital with a suspected stroke … prayers please for her shes only 37 😯

trixiebell
    Participant

oh noeleen hope your sister is ok xxx

Taylor5

God Noeleen hope your sister is okay 😯 Very young for a stroke but it can happen.
    Great for posting this up, i’ve seen the Adverts on the tv and with a stroke the quicker its picked up the better the recovery for the paitent

rcole

Unfortunatley it is a common misconception that a stroke can only happen to somebody that is young.

Noeleen I am very sorry to hear about your sister, hope she recovers soon.

This is great advice from the Irish Heart Foundation.
    I Recently completed a ocupational first aid course. I would recomend everyone who had several free day’s to complete it.
    As well as FAST. It is amazing what techniques you can learn and how you can save someones life easily.

AMOLIVER

My husband took a stroke at 34 so it can hit at any age (his cousin took one over 25years ago at 9 years old) – before he took his stroke I’d only heard of older people taking them. Unfortunately when he was taken go hospital in Drogheda they didn’t diagnose it for almost 12 hours and it caused more damage. He had a further 2 over a 6 weeks period. It makes me angry how people from the south are treated in hospitals here. I am from the north and i wish he’d been taken into hospital there – he wouldn’t have suffered further but there is nothing we can do about that now. He was alone when the first one happened and there was nobody with him when it hit. He’d taken 2 serious headaches a few weeks before-hand, it only lasted an hour each but he lost his vision with the headaches. Vision is often a sign of something wrong in the brain – temporary lose/blurred/double vision, he hadn’t worried too much about it as it went away after resting.

I was with him when he was taking the second one a week later, it wasn’t how i imagined a stroke to hit (as he still had problems from the initial stroke the signs were not clear). He was in the hospital when another one hit and again there was not enough done for him. He has survived and it is a very long road to recovery – everyone says this to you in the beginning but it really is such a slow process.

Please fight for your loved one’s if you ever find yourself in this situation they can’t do it. Demand scans and don’t be fobbed off – it’ll be your loss if you don’t. The only thing i can say is there is hope with a stroke, recovery may be slow but at least there is room to recover – positive thinking and determination is a must. There are many worse neurological illness that deteriorate where there is little hope of a recovery – it is within the person grasp to improve with rehabilitation and medication. Don’t give up!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.