sticky eye

Home Forums National Chat sticky eye

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Waffy1

my little one keeps getting sticky eye. the teabags don’t seem to be doing anything. Any sugestions???

Jedt
    Keymaster

I have often used breastmilk on a sticky eye and it works wonders!

when they are older, I use warm water and cotton pads/wool. Make sure to use separate pieces of cotton on each eye, so you do not transfer any gunk from one eye to the other. If it keeps up, pop into your pharmacist and ask for some help & advice. they can give you free over the counter advice.

HTH.

MaryE

My kids have had this a few times. Recently someone (a nurse friend) told me to clean (wipe & drop method) their eyes with cotton wool, boiled water (cooled) with a squirt of no tears baby shampoo in it. So did so the last time & it cleans their eyes so much better then the water alone, gets all the infection right out of the eye lashes. Wish id heard that tip years ago.

Taylor5

yeah we use cooled boiled water with a squirt of Johnsons baby shampoo in it…. my ds is the very same, he would often get a sticky eye! Then i get it!!!

Berry

Homeopathic remedies are excellent for getting rid of sticky eyes. Again its all about matching the symptoms with a remedy – but with the right remedy it will clear within 24hrs.

Berry

Jedt
    Keymaster

I would be weary of putting the ‘no more tears’ stuff near my kids, I know the soapy element cleans well but the no more tears ingredient can kind of numb the eye – which is why there are no tears. not natural, I try to avoid that as much as possible.

Taylor5

I would be weary of putting the ‘no more tears’ stuff near my kids, I know the soapy element cleans well but the no more tears ingredient can kind of numb the eye – which is why there are no tears. not natural, I try to avoid that as much as possible.

Sabbi my sister is attending the Eye and Ear hospital at the moment, she was told to wash her eye with Johnsons, now only a drop in the water!! Its something that doctors have been telling us to do for years

Tears are made in glands called the lacrimal gland above each eye. Tears from the eyes are drained away by a duct which leads to the nose. Often babies are born with a duct that is not fully open, so the tears are unable to drain away. However the baby’s watering eye should get better on its own in a few weeks time, once the duct has opened up. In the mean time the best way to clear the sticky liquid or crusting is to bathe the child’s eye with cooled, boiled water using cotton wool.

Sometimes babies tear duct may be prone to conjunctivitis and become inflamed – making the eye pink, sore and itchy.

You can help to open up your baby’s tear duct by regularly massaging her lacrimal sac, which is part of the drainage system. You can do this by applying light pressure with your fingers on the side of your baby’s nose, working your way down from top to bottom. Ask your doctor for help if you are unsure how to do this.

If your baby’s blocked duct doesn’t get better after a few weeks, take her to your doctor. It could be that she has a blocked tear duct.

It is not advisable to use any product directly on a young baby’s eye area!!!

misemammy3

Hi, when my kids were babies they had sticky eye. My mum told me that my spit first thing in the morning is the best solution. Not to spit on your childs eye but if you just put some on your finger and rub it over the eye.

I dont know what it is about us mums saliva but it worked every time.

You should give it a go.

Its hard to pass the experts – our own mums!!! 😀

CaliGal

Big fan of breastmilk in the eyes here. Even used it on my 3 year old recently..Conjunctivitus cleared up in 8 hrs!

Waffy1

well ye gave me a good laugh girls! Sabbi I have no breast milk can i borrow some!!! i’ll return it when i’m finished!!! 😯 The problem `i have about leaving it run it’s course is the creche will not take her if they see a sticky eye cause it’s so contagious. I think i’ll try a bit of spit in the morning!!! 😆

failte16

Hey girls,

I have used cooled boil water with some salt dissolved in it and use the cotton balls to wipe eyes from inner part of eye to outer disposing of the buds after each wipe. Works everytime and neither children have had a reinfection in over three years.

Salt is a great cleanser of infections and wounds I just make sure its a small amount that you use and not too much.

mammycool
    Participant

Would salt not be a bit dangerous near the eye – it is scratchy and might scratch the surface of the babys eye?

If all else fails, you can get drops over the counter for conjunctivitus – cannot think of the name but it is a tiny little bottle with a top that just allows a drop out at a time.

Taylor5

Broleen or something like that…. i think its proven that cooled boiled water is more effective then those drops.

failte16

Would salt not be a bit dangerous near the eye – it is scratchy and might scratch the surface of the babys eye?

If all else fails, you can get drops over the counter for conjunctivitus – cannot think of the name but it is a tiny little bottle with a top that just allows a drop out at a time.

A small amount of salt should be dissolved in boiling water and allowed to cool – this will ensure all the granules are completely dissolved and not leave any trace of the tiniest granule – most of the eye drops contain forms of saline solutions which is basically water and salt and some other active ingredients

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.