sterilisation during cecerean

Home Forums ASK THE EXPERT Pregnancy & Birth sterilisation during cecerean

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

hi im new to this site but im just wondering does anyone have any info on having sterilistaion done during a cecerean section as im contemplating having a third baby but it would also mean my third section so i think i would like to have this done. has anyone heard of being done in wex gen??? :?

Jedt
    Keymaster

I don’t know if you can have that done during a c-section? Sterilisation usually requires a general anaesthetic, unlike most c-sections.

I looked into sterlisation after our 4th baby and from what I learned, the success rates are not brilliant – about 1 in 200 women have problems and need it redone or will become pregnant. It is also a difficult and painful procedure for a woman.

We decided on a vasectomy instead. It does not require general anaesthetic, does not take long, is a far simpler procedure and also the success rates are much better than sterilisation.

If you want any info on vasectomy let me know – for us, that was a much better option. We have never looked back since we had it done, my husband was done in just an hour and was grand after a few days. Its is very freeing not having to worry about contraception and there are 2 checks to make sure the vasectomy has been successful so you will know when you are 100% ready to stop using contraception.

HTH 😀

munchin
    Participant

my friend was sterilised during her 3 section – I’m not entirely sure if it was a general or not but I don’t think so – I’d ring them and ask as I’m sure it’s likely that different consultants and different hospitals may have different policies.

Jedt
    Keymaster

How was she after it munchin? I know some women find it grand but some find it painful and difficult. I looked into it but just did not seem like a good fit for me.

munchin
    Participant

sabbi she’s been great – her little fella is 1.5yrs old now – she was a lot more uncomfortable after her previous section. She said she loved the freedom knowing she was sterilised brought – she has 4 boys and knew from before she was pregnant on her last that she was well and truly done. She’s delighted with the choice she made.

oriordan

Excuse ignorance but is sterilisation and tubal ligation (tying of tubes) the same thing? I will be having my third section in April and have been offered tubal ligation. I cannot make up my mind and I know I still wont have made up my mind by the time I get to the operating table. Im sure I dont want more kids but a the same time its so final. What to do . What to do.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.