Special Needs

Home Forums Education Special Needs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    JR

Hi Girls,

I was just wondering if any of you guys, have Special Needs kids??

MissyG

i’ve a deaf baby but i’m deaf myself… she’s not quite at school-going age though, but we’re preparing!!!!!! 🙂
    how about u?

JR

Hi MissyG,

I have a 3yr old with Tuberous Sclerosis & Epilepsy & all the problems that come with his condition. He is at playschool and i am just awaiting for an SNA 4 him. Does ur little one have inplants r hearing aid?

helen

hi, I have a 9 month old dd with a chromosome disorder. Its nice to see the SN section active.
    Helen

JR

Hi Helen,

Yes it def is, it took a while! What kind of disorder is it? Mayb people r shy! R mayb there just is’nt that many….

helen

hi JR.
    Its a chromosome disorder that affects her development. she’s 9 months and not quite sitting unaided yet. no sign of crawling at all. she may never walk or talk but is a very happy social baby.
    How is your little boy? great to hear he’s starting school!
    Helen

joey_rudd

My little girl has scoliosis, i’m not sure if thats a special needs disorder!

trixiebell
    Participant

hi joey my dh had that when he was younger. Did ur little girl have the operation?

joey_rudd

no she has a body cast on, it has to get changed every 2/3 months till shes around 7 then we’ll know if she has to get the operation or another cast
    shes 3 in january

JR

Hi Helan,

DS was 14mths before he sat up on his own, then when he got that he started to crawl. He was 16mths when he started to walk, and his balance is quiet bad at times. He only started to feed himself this yr, and he is still in pull up, as he really does not get the whole going the toilet thing! But it will come (i hope) i have tryed & tryed….. She sounds like a a beauitiful little girl. Do u attend any support group? When i say support i mean just 2 go and talk to other people with special needs kids! My lad is, fine as he will ever b!! There is no cure for TS and he just had a fit wed nite gone. But he is happy he loves other kids and he says everything! I will always have medical problems with him, but hey at least i have him.

Hi Joey, i have never heard of Scoliosis, but i am sure its special needs. Can u tell me abit about it? Also do u attend any sort of support group??

joey_rudd

no we don’t attend any support group but the people up in our ladys hospital for sick children in crumlin have been great and are just a phone call away if we have any worrys or question
    hope the words below help expain what scoliosis is :

Everyone’s spine has natural curves. These curves round our shoulders and make our lower back curve slightly inward. Some people have spines that also curve from side to side. Unlike poor posture, these curves cannot be corrected simply by learning to stand up straight.

This condition of side-to-side spinal curves is called scoliosis. On an x-ray, the spine of an individual with scoliosis looks more like an "S" or a "C" than a straight line. Some of the bones in a scoliotic spine also may have rotated slightly, making the person’s waist or shoulders appear uneven.

Most spine curves in children with scoliosis will remain small and need only to be periodically assessed by an orthopaedist for any sign of progression. If a curve does progress, an orthopaedic brace can be used to prevent it from getting worse. Children undergoing treatment with orthopaedic braces can continue to participate in a full range of physical and social activities.

If a scoliotic curve is severe when it is first seen, or if treatment with an orthopaedic brace does not control the curve, surgery may be necessary. In these instances, surgery has been found to be a highly effective and safe treatment for scoliosis.

hope it explains it!

MissyG

hi jr.

my little one wears hearing aids in both ears – they spend more time out than in!!!! she pulls them out all the time & puts them into her mouth! 🙁 lol
    she’s being assessed at the mo for the cochlear implant but we haven’t reached a decision yet – still some time to decide though…!

missyg

libby

Hi guys

Great to see this site been active.
    My husband wears hearing aid since he was 2, he does communicate verbally, but has difficulty in hearing on the phone & in loud places.

I have worked in the area for the last twenty years – huge progression has taken place everything is person centred.

I hope i can pass on my knowledge to those whom need it

Just Ask

Libby

JR

Hi MissyG,

My sisters friend little one has the cochlear implants, and she has come on gr8, she does’nt even nees a helper in school. She speaks very well & u can understand her very well. Hope ur little one gets them!

MissyG

there’s alot of pros & cons with the cochlear implant. i manged fine without one and i AM aware that my dd is not me… but i’m still apprehensive – my dh too… we’re just going with the flow & see how we get on – my dd is one now & she’s extremely active its v difficult to get her to lipread i can only get her for a few mins at a time, she’s doing v well & is starting to know what some words mean… still, its quite hard going & i’m exhausted in the evenings!!! any advice or even questions – are all welcome! its good to meet other mums in the same boat as yourself!

missyg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.