Solid Foods for babies????

Home Forums National Chat Solid Foods for babies????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Happymammy

Hi girls

My daughter is 11 weeks. I have started to giveher two tablepoons of cow and gate baby rice. She loves it and is sleeping 10 till 8 already and after a drink she is back to sleep till 10am. Happy baba and happy mamma afterall isnt that whats important. Or so I tought! :roll:

I was at a wedding on Saturday (another one!) and I got chatty with this lady. I told her all about my hungry baba and how she is sleeping all night now on a fuller tummy. Well she was only short of slapping my bottom and sending me off to bed early!
    She told me I was doing it all wrong and that I should have waited until my daughter was 6months old! she told me she has no time for mothers who fill their babies to the brim and put them to sleep just so they can have a break! :evil:

WELL she started with the wrong mama!! :twisted:

I quietly but firmly reminded her that I infact have already raised a perfectly healthy child for the past 5years and that I did the same with her. I looked to my mother for advice as she did a perfect job raising us and not strangers.
    I mean I was just saying in friendly banter and this women went off on one!!!

So am I making a mistake? I dont see how as she loves it, its only a small amount and shes not hungry anymore! I also know all about childrens health and fitness and the high obesity rate in young children in Ireland today.

mamacita

Your the Mom HM! You know what’s best for your child. Unless you notice some problem with the feedings, I wouldn’t worry about it.

It is very aggravating when people tell you how to raise your children, isn’t it?. I think the trick is to try not to judge someone else choices unless there is some clear harm to the child. I think you were right to let this woman know how you felt.

Happymammy

Thanks mmcita I am very short with people if i feel like they are attacking me for no reason. I would never try offer advice to a mother unless they asked for it! 😆

Yvonne

Hi Happymammy – you are the only one who knows your daughter – no one can tell you that its wrong! The cheek of her! My mother said we were all on solids by 6 weeks and it done us no harm at all!

If you feel it is right, thenstick with it – don’t mind her!

I have heard that you are only meant to make bottles as you need them now, not 6 bottles at a time… have you been told this?

Happymammy

Ya I have made three at a time from the morning time because she would take a bottle every 2/3 hours. SCOFF!

But I found any longer than that the milk would be thicker and looked sour. It was the cow & gate comfort and it is a thicker food anyway but it wouldnt even pour into the teet it was that thick after the 2/3 hours in the fridge.

She was cheeky but at the end of the day if I wasnt sure about giving her solids then I would definetely have made sure I was doing the right thing before putting the spoon to her mouth. 🙄

munchin
    Participant

Happymammy as the others say your the mother & know your child best – i have heard the "advise" is 6months if breast feeding exclusively – 4 months if not for introducing solids.
    E was 13weeks – phn knew and was fine about it
    my nephew was 9weeks and other nephew younger still and they are both fine!
    Enjoy the nights sleep!!!!!!!! 😆

Jenny!!!

I did the exact same with my two happy, each mother knows if theirs is a hungry baby or not, and if it stops them cying or helps them sleep better well then you know you are doing the right thing. sometimes milk just isnt enough. Meither of my children are overweight either or fussy with food. I did hold off on eggs though untill they were over six months. My dd is almost one and she eats what we eatnow, its great.

MaryE

My baby was very hungry, so had him on hungrier baby milk until he was 16 weeks when i started giving hm solids – i waited until then on the instruction of my public health nurse. The six months starting time is really for breast fed babies. Seemingly they don’t advise to start solids before 4 months as can lead to allergies or something.

If your first child hasn’t got allergies & no major history of them in your family, i wouldn’t worry.

My friend started her little fellow at 10 weeks but then he was huge, 11lbs when born. She made a very valid point "he weighed the same as a four month baby so needs food like them".

Every baby is different.

Taylor5

happy dont worry about it I bf my monster and he was on spoon feeds by 4 months.
    Baby rice is fine an two tiny spoons wont over fill her, the only think that i would warn mothers not to do, as was done in our mothers days, is putting the baby rice into the formula bottle. Its much better off the spoon then in the bottle…… steam and puree some pears, then pop them into icecube trays and put one pear with the two rice. She will love it

Happymammy

Ava ate a whole chicken sandwich today! 😆 Well im sure she would if I allowed her to!

Just wondering does anyone know of a good website with recepies for baby dinners etc I didnt have the internet when I had my dd1. Would love tomake up a little booklet and give them a go in the next few weeks.

Thanks 🙂

Taylor5

I would highly recommend Annabell Karabells books, you can get them in Waterstones only a few euros, everything is easy to make and tasty for the babs. Plus the book is full of handy tips

munchin
    Participant

second the annabell karabell books but there is a website too

Happymammy

Oooh ta will google that now. I coulg google foreva! 😆

i starting my dd at 9 weeks just a little spoon a day. at 4 months she was 3 meals and 3 bottles a day

Taylor5

oh happy Ava is such a beautiful baby, soooo cute. You’d know by the look of her that she is a grubber

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.