Solar Panels

Home Forums Louth Chat Solar Panels

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Martina
    Participant

I’m sitting here messing on the laptop whilst my hubbie runs around getting ready for the technicians coming tomorrow…..

Now if the President was visiting or I had 10 for dinner, he’d be crashed out at the Telly…. but once its technical, he’s there working himself to a frenzy!

I’m just looking forward to a nice warm bath during the summer without having to turn on the heating!

Taylor5

oh free hot water in the summer… now that sounds nice! What are men like? mine would be the very same 🙄

I was looking into this last year but we didnt get it done as during the winter our heating is always on, so loads of hot water…. dont think we use the bath enought in the summer to make it worth while

Martina
    Participant

We wouldn’t be big bath users either but I have a 15 yr old who could spend a half hour easily in the electric shower per day!!! Apart from that its supposed to cut down on the oil needed for the central heating also because your not starting to heat the system from cold, the cylinder should always have a certain level of heat in it!

Taylor5

The company i was looking to get told me it wouldnt make a bit of difference to the heating bill as it on a different system to your hot water tank iykwim!!! Confused now.
    I was going to the the house pumped too to cut down on the gas bills, a few neighbours go it done will ask how they got on.

Martina
    Participant

When you think about it unless your central heating is on 24/7 or near enough that when it starts up the system is completely cold, as with your car the colder the engine the harder it is on fuel for that initial start up.

By having the water already heated you are removing one of the stumbling blocks along the way and should technically be reducing your fuel usage.

It should also make a difference to us with electricity, because up until now we’ve been using the electric shower all the time, four showers a day between us and one of them a teenager using up to 1/2 hour at a time and an emersion for heating water for little ones baths and washing up/cleaning around the house when the heating is off.

My house is an old cottage with multiple extensions. Over the past 4 years we’ve put in double glazing, the change in the amount of heat retained in the room with that was immediately apparent. Then we got the insulation updated in the attic and pumped into the cavity walls, again a noticable difference, heating goes off earlier at night even in winter because the rooms stay warmer much longer. This is the next installment and next thing will either be replace the electric fire with either a wood pellet burner or Wood Burning Cooker (like a stanley or aga).

Yvonne

We got the solar panels and DH has worked out that it saves us approx €400 per year on oil…
    But we have power showers (and the bath), so are using the hot water every day and .. probably not worth it if you have electric showers…

ditto

We had similar issues … but after looking into all options we were pleasantly surprised that by zoning our heating system, we could have a switch for hot water only. It’s great in the summer as we have hot water within 15mins, so only use tiny amount of gas as thermostat is fitted. Plus with timer on mains we just set it for 15mins morning and again that evening. No additional piping was needed it was all done in the boilerhouse, so no excuse to get hubby to repaint the house, grr !

Taylor5

thats our problem we have an electric shower, we do have a very large bath but we only use this once a week and showers in between…. during the winter we use the bath more as the heating would be on and we have more hot water iykwim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.