Smear tests – are you up to date???

Home Forums Exercise, Nutrition, Health Issues & illness Smear tests – are you up to date???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

For anyone who did not know…..Smear testing is now free for women over 25 years old (so there is no excuse anymore about not going for one!) We all know its not particularly enjoyable but its not too bad either.

I had my last one a few months ago and got clear results back a few weeks later.

I always dread going – kind of the way I feel about going to the dentist – but once I get there and realise it only takes a few minutes and is actually nowhere nearly as awful as my imagination would make me believe – its ok, quick and painless.

It only takes a few mins and cervical abnormalities are easily detected and easily treated. In fact, most women who have an abnormal smear go on to have a normal one a few weeks or months later. It is usually nothing to worry about.

This is an area women need to be vigilant. It is now free to get ourselves checked and we all know what can happen if we do not get regular checks, just look at poor Jade Goody.

So if you are due, make the appointment. Its not the most pleasant few mins but its a free and easy way to look after your health.

I wanted to post this after having a conversation with a friend of mine in her 20’s who has never had smear test, its really not so bad and now its free us ladies have no excuse not to go.

scole1

i am way over due, have had reminders sent and a final reminder sent, i haven’t had one as things were all over the place waiting until back to normal, hopefully this week then defo getting done….it’s so important

rossylisa

I have to get this done,keep putting it off. remember you have to sign on the website to get an appointment now.you cant just go into your doctor for the appointment anymore
    http://www.cervicalcheck.ie/

noeleenw

got it done 18 months ago , i hate hate hate getting it done , i had 3 sections and it makes it worse , god i really hate it 😳 but it has to be done 😆

munchin
    Participant

Def so important – only got my results 2 weeks ago from my last one.

You have to register on the site, then your sent a letter and just make your app with gp and take letter with you – then your on the register for life – even got a letter from them with my results.

my sis had a scare a few yrs ago and only for regular smear tests it could have gone undetected and i dread to think what that could have meant – we’ve even made my mother go and it had been a good time since she’d been

ed1
    Participant

So so important…..got mine done last month and got all clear last week.

I actually must be one of the few people that dont mind getting this done. I feel more sorry for the nurse or doctor that has to do it.

yummymummy

27 and never got one done ..oops!!

Have the letter and reminder and all at home its just the thoughts of it all…yuck!!

My mam had a couple of abnormal ones and had to get stuff lasered off ..why isnt this scarring me enough to go.

munchin
    Participant

yummy go home get that letter and go
    tis free tis your health missus – what is it they say "your health is your wealth"!!!!!!!!!!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Yummy and Scole – just make the appointment….please.

It is so important to look after this area of your health. Its not the most pleasant 2 minutes of your life but it could save your life.

My mother had pre-cancerous cells and had a part of her womb removed and they caught it so early that her womb regenerated new cells and she went on to have two children (they are now my teenage sisters, the first was a surprise and the second a shock!)

If my mum had not been checked I would not have two gorgeous sisters that I adore and its quite possible I would not have my mum either and that is unbearable.

Please girls, if you are due for one, just book it. Once its over you’ll be wondering why you put it off so long.

As the ad says…’Just do it’!

scole1

you know i think it’s more the embarrassment that people don’t go get it done, when you have a baby, you need to have your legs open to get it out and the check ups afterwards if needed are all related but when you have to lie there legs in the air and the thoughts of omg what are they thinking oh ouch i think that’s what turns people off…me anyway but i promise i will get it done i’ll be shot by my mother if i don’t also it’s for me and my family really….

we girls really get the bum deal eh…

excuse the pun

Anonymous
    Inactive

Free Smear Test – Information for women in Ireland.

Primacare are part of the National Screening programme providing a FREE smear test to women aged 25 to 60.

If you are aged between 25 and 44, you are generally advised to have a smear test every three years. For those aged between 45 and 60, you should have a smear test every five years. The purpose of screening is to detect cell changes before they become cancerous. You will find more information on Cervical Smear Tests below.

Cervical Smear Tests are available in the following locations:
    Dundrum Medical & Dental Centre
    Oldcourt Medical & Dental Centre
    Ballyowen Castle Medical & Dental Centre
    Ballyowen Lane Medical Centre
    Tyrellstown Medical & Dental Centre
    Swords Medical & Dental Centre
    Griffeen Medical Centre
    Citywest Medical & Dental Centre
    Manor Mills Medical & Dental Centre (Maynooth)
    What is a cervical smear test?

What is a cervical smear test?
    A sample of cells is taken from the cervix, the neck of the womb, and checked in a laboratory to look for any abnormal cells. Minor cell changes are fairly common and usually clear up without any treatment. In women where the cell changes do not resolve or where there are more significant cell changes, a referral to a gynaecology unit is made.

Who should have a cervical screening test?
    All women aged 25 to 64 should have regular tests. For women aged 25-49 it is usually done every three years. For women aged 50-64 it is usually done every five years. From the age of 65, most women do not need any more tests. However, women aged 65 or over who have not had a test since age 50, or have had recent abnormal tests, will still be advised to be screened. So, a test may be advised for some women aged 65 or more.

Is there a particular time of the menstrual cycle to have a smear test?
    Yes. Somewhere in the middle of your cycle is best. Provided your period is over by at least three or four days.

What do the results of the cervical screening test mean?
    Normal Result
    The majority of cervical screening tests are normal. You will be sent a letter inviting you for another smear test in 3-5 years.

Inadequate test
    This sometimes occurs and implies no result can be given. For example, if the smear method was used, an inadequate test may occur because there was some blood or too much mucus on the slide and the cells could not be seen properly. You will be asked to attend for a repeat test. However, with the newer liquid based cytology method, the number of tests that are ‘inadequate’ and need repeating is much less than with the traditional smear method.

Abnormal result
    Some changes in the cells are found in about 1 in 10 tests. There is a range of changes that may occur. In nearly all cases, these changes do not mean cancer. Minor or borderline abnormal changes are quite common. These often clear away on their own and most mild changes do not progress to anything serious. However, any change needs to be monitored as some may progress to become more serious in the future. A repeat test after 3-12 months is commonly advised, depending on the type and degree of change. Often the changes will have gone when the test is repeated. If the changes do not go, or the changes are more marked, then a referral to colposcopy is advised. Rarely, a cancer of the cervix is diagnosed by a cervical screening test.

How to Apply:
    A CervicalCheck letter of invitation is required before making an appointment for your first free smear test with a Primacare registered smeartaker. Providing your contact details through the online registration will enable Cervicalcheck to ensure that you are on the CervicalCheck register and that your details are correct. All women aged 25 to 60 years on the CervicalCheck register will receive a letter of invitation in due course.

To register for your Cervicalcheck letter please click the following link and submit your online application https://www.cervicalcheck.ie/self_regis … ister.html

The CervicalCheck register (list) is a secure, electronic database. All details submitted through the form are encrypted and can only be accessed by CervicalCheck. Registration does not lead to a smear test appointment.

On receipt of your CervicalCheck Letter of invitation please contact Primacare on 1890 703 703 or bookings@primacare.ie to book your appointment at a time convenient to you with our registered smeartaker.

scole1

thanks for that fair play

happymumblemum
    Participant

Yummy have you still not been yet..we had this conversation last year and the year before I think!!!!

I need to go actually but not bothered about going its just fitting it in..

chewieodie
    Participant

Ah sure… EVERYBODY hates it…. but realistically its 5 minutes of discomfort, and then a whole lot of relief….
    After you’ve had babies your modesty goes down the drain anyway… so normally its done by a nurse, and they’ve been down the same road themselves so they are generally sympathetic towards you in the scenario. I registered last year, got the letter, made the appointment…. and a short while later got the results. So I’m in the clear for a while yet…. 😀

Just do it gals!…. It’ll be over before you know it. And then you won’t have people like us bugging you to get it done! 😆

scole1

will be doing this this month, way over due…

yummy you booked your yet??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.