Sick baby – need some help

Home Forums Newborns, Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Teens! Sick baby – need some help

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jedt

Our 6 month old has a horrible cold, she is snuffly and coughing and out of sorts.

Have been giving her loads of fluids and saline drops for her nose but she is still not sleeping. She was awake all last night (as was I :oops: ). She needs to have a good sleep, is there anything else we can give her to help her settle?

chewieodie

KARVOL…. most definately….. or baby Olbas drops…. on a tissue, in her cot. Definately helps to relieve the stuffiness. And I would raise her mattress a little…. if her head is higher then her body it will help with her sleep. Either put something under her mattress…. a folded blanket at the head end… or you could put something under the legs of the cot at the head end.

God luv ya both! Hope you both get some rest!

CaliGal

Breast milk in the nose does wonders to clear a stuffy nose. I also am a big believer of vicks vaporub on the feet at night covered up with soft socks. In Chinese medicine the feet are linked to the nasal passages.

Also get a warm humidifier from Argos and put olbas oil in the top cap part.

Hope she is better soon 😉

Jedt

Have olbas & have her head elevated and they do help but she was so unhappy during the night was thinking is there anything else we can be doing. The saline drops are good too but she really does not like getting them (what baby does??) – she got so upset last night that she got sick all over our bed a few mins after the drops went up.

Got her a little baby snuffles balm today as well, its suitable from 6 months and seems to be like vick’s and goes on her chest, so hopefully that will help her sleep better tonight.

No temp, so not too worried, its just annoying snuffles!

Took her for a walk earlier and she had a good sleep and is in good form now – I am wrecked but sure, ces’t la vie when you’re a mammy!!

Jedt

Breastmilk up the nose – never thought of that! I have put breastmilk in a sticky eye many times and it works wonders, so will give that a go later on! Thanks caligal.

munchin
    Participant

hey sabbi is she coughing? or just blocked nose –
    if she’s coughing at all try the snuffle babe on the soles of her feet – dd2 won’t let me put it on her feet but i wait till she’s asleep and do it and it helps…..i don’t know why but it does!

Jedt

she is coughing munchin, I’ll try that, thanks 😀

libby1
    Participant

I seen a friend putting Butter on a Babys nose.. to loosen a stuffed nose..

beamam

Hi sabbi,
    I’ve nothing more to add than what the other girls have said but just wondering how she is? the doc told me that even top ups with formula can leave them mucusey and nasaly so maybe leave that out if you’re doing that. best of luck, it very distressing for everyone when litlle pets not well.

Jedt

If she would take a bottle of formula I would be roller skating in Funtasia right now…..its all boob at the moment!!

blonde

oh sabbi i feel your pain!
    our dd has suffered with that since she was born she is now 6 ! the only thing that helped was steaming her in the bathroom & vicks even though she was under 2 i still used it nothing else worked, even now when she gets it i find the vicks is the best for the cough!!

hope baby gets better soon xxx

munchin
    Participant

actually – someone said butter on baby’s nose – my mother always swears my vaseline accross the bridge of the nose – i haven’t used it as such as karvol and/or the snuffle babe/vicks usually does the trick

How is she now?

Jedt

another sleepless night. she went down about 9 and slept until 2 and I thought we were home free and she was over the worst of it but then she was awake most of the night after 2am.

It got to the stage where we took her into bed with us around 4am and had her propped up on a pillow and she cried on and off through the night.

She is actually in great form today – surprisingly – but me and her Dad are shattered!!

She will probably go for a long nap in the afternoon – I might go with her!!

but at the end of the day, its only a cold, she has no temp and is not getting sick or anything. just grateful its not anything serious.

thanks for all your advice, its much appreciated. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.