Should we pay the household charge?!!

Home Forums National Chat Should we pay the household charge?!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

More than 80% of households have not registered to pay; there is huge support for not paying this charge…

Think of the corruption in government that went on under Bertie and is still going on now. If you are in two minds about paying this charge, read the Mahon Tribunal report – that will show you exactly what they did and are still doing with tax payers money. TD’s are all still entitled to huge pensions – and per each position they hold they get a pension, so many of them will come away with multiple pensions. This madness is still going on while many of us are struggling to pay our bills!

We owe a chunk of money to Europe by 31st March and the deadline for the charge is 31st March – is that a co-incidence?? I think not…

if we pay this now, it will increase every year and we’ll be hounded with annual heavy household charges. Add to that road tax, car tax, bin charges , VAT and all the other taxes we pay and I cannot see how it is fair to land another tax on us.

With the way things are going, I find it impossible to fill my car with petrol and I now leave it at home whenever I can due to how expensive petrol is. If I am going to Dublin, I try to squeeze in multiple meetings in one day to avoid driving too much. Its ridiculous how expensive petrol is now

if we stand together on this charge they will not be able to impose it. So many people are not paying it that there cannot be a penalty for not paying. it would cost too much to impose – stay strong everyone!!!

lellykelly

what do you see as being the difference between this tax/charge & all the others you list? If none of them are optional, why pay others & not this one?

Taylor5

I was going to pay it but i was leaving it until the 11th hour to do so….. after reading about bertie i changed my mind, Feck them im not paying it. Its now not a household charge it is now a service charge ie street lights, street cleaning etc.
    If you live in a council house you dont have to pay!!! They said the government will foot the bill for people living in council houses… i also heard "unfinished estates" dont have to pay! Im sure that will affect alot of households around the country

Financial Companion
    Participant

Take a family with only one person in paid employment. Out of their wages is stopped income tax, prsi and usc. Then, everything they buy pays another tax, vat. If they have a car loan, included in the cost is the exorbitant import duty and vrt that was included in the cost of the car. Then, to drive it, they pay road tax, collossal duty in the petrol cost and vat on anything that is needed for the car. Now, they pay for the rubbish to be collected, they pay if a fire engine is called to their house and they pay if they are forced to drive on a road with a toll (all things that their tax used to cover!) Without going into the several other "stealth taxes", if they are lucky enough to be able to save up some money for their future and they either gift or bequeath it to their family, after the relevant threshold, the government now take 30% of the value in another tax! (up from 25% in the last budget!) Instead of trying to come up with new, not very clever ways, of squeezing hard pressed workers even further, some creative thinking needs to be done to incentivise the owners of the 100 BILLION EURO on deposit in Ireland to spend in the economy which will create jobs, reduce welfare costs, increase spending further, increase tax and get us out of this mess! There are people who have not been able to pay their mortgage for months, are behind on bills, take in far less than their basic living costs and they are not excluded from this further charge. Unfortunately, many of our elected officials are there because many people arrived at polling booths without doing much research and chose preferences based on the photographs! (I’ve seen where many people admitted this!) I’m sorry but being photogenic does not qualify somebody to run a country!!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Bertie & Brian Cowen & Albert Reynolds all still getting 2 pensions, not just one but 2!!!

Until they stop squandering our money they can feck off looking for more.

I put 30 euro in our family cay last Friday after leaving hospital with my 4 year old. My husband had a meeting in Swords and he took the car up and back. Then on Saturday, my mum and I were meeting my Nanny for a mother’s day lunch with her in the back of Swords, near the airport.

My petrol light came on just as I came home Sat afternoon – so 30 quid only got us two trips; from Drogheda – Swords and from Bettystown – Swords. I remember when 30 quid used to do us for a week!! Its madness, people cannot afford anymore taxes, its gotten out of hand already.

Its comforting that the vast majority is all refusing to pay….its about time we stood together as a nation and said no more 😈

Jedt
    Keymaster

OMG – they are now saying they are going to ask Local Authority workers to call house to house to ‘Remind’ people to pay the charge. The local workers do not want to do it – just shows how desperate they are and how they will use any means necessary to bully us into doing what they want.

If they want doors knocked on, the TD’s should do it themselves. I would love them to knock my door and ask me for 100 euro…..

Jedt
    Keymaster

They are going mad now, they’ve said they are confident people are going to pay. Have they not been listening to the thousands of people who have protested and said there is no way they are going to pay it.

still over 80% of households have not paid this charge.

They said before last weekend that people would pay over the weekend but we did not and now they are saying we will pay today or in next few days but I am hoping that 80% will stick to their guns and not pay it!

It shows we have some gusto as a nation that we are sticking together on this. Its great that we are finally taking a stand.

lellykelly – I think the difference is that we are all fed up with being over taxed and having the money taken from us in our wages, in VAT etc and this is a different kind of charge that we have to register for and pay – and we do not see any value in it.

The govt just spent 300 million on the Mahon Tribunal and are still paying double and treble salaries to former TD’s and Taoiseag – so until they start being smart and spending tax money properly, I think they will be waiting on this charge to be paid.

lellykelly

Fair enough Sabbi. I wouldn’t for a second defend the huge amounts spent on the Mahon tribunal, the pensions paid to proven corrupt officials or the way in which the Government have handled the household charge from the start. I too think that they are deluded that there will be a ‘rush’ in coming days to pay it and are only setting themselves up for a fall. But while we may be used to our own government doing u-turns, this is something included in the deal that was done with the IMF and I can’t see that they will change their mind. They will be putting pressure on our government to ensure that the money is collected which is going to mean more resources, both time & money, being put into chasing those who have not paid. If the reason that people are not paying it is as protest to a waste of money elsewhere, surely there is a contradiction there?

I don’t believe for a minute that we will see the extra local services that the government have promised and agree with you that there will be no value because I think like all other taxes, its just part of the pot used to fund services, including unfortunately the country’s debt. If less is raised because people won’t pay the household charge, the money needs to be raised somehow. What’s the alternative to the charge? Increases that we can’t say no to, like VAT or income tax or further reductions in the spending on services provided.

I find it hard to imagine that this time next year we won’t be less well off than we are now, whether that’s because we are paying a property tax or something else to replace it.

Taylor5

Lellykelly i know the IMF will put pressure on the government to get us to pay, but it wasnt the average joe soap who got us up this creek without a paddle… i was going to pay but i think i will just ride it out!
    Anyone know what the fine is for not paying the fee on time? I did hear a TD today saying it should be 25e installments between now and september

lellykelly

I know that Taylor but there is plenty thats unfair about our country & the way tax payers money is spent & mis spent, plenty that was going on before the bailout. If we were going to take a stand against what the deal with the IMF brought, then the time to do it would have been before it was signed. Protesting against a tiny % of what is involved when we have accepted the overall deal & much bigger cuts doesnt stack up for me. Theres worse coming down the road, a €3billion adjustment is need this year alone.

Anyway the penalty for not paying is something like 10e for the first six months, 20e for the next six. Hardly much of a deterrent & i dont think that is going to do anything to persuade people to pay. A half hearted attempt by government when what we need is leadership, people to make the tough decisions & stick with them. If they do a u-turn on this, I will be so disillusioned……

beams

We arent paying either. We feel that the government needs to find this elsewhere – firstly – take the pensions off the corrupt policitions , secondly tax the irish multi millionaires who dont pay a cent of tax in ireland , thirdly use our all the tax we pay and the usc in a more productive and proactive way – social welfare fraud needs looking into seriously – why dont they look also at the childrens allowance and dont pay it to the people who earn over 100k a year etc. etc. etc. there are so many ways of getting taxes instead of TAXING AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN THE MIDDLE INCOME EARNERS – its NOT RIGHT and its just NOT FAIR 👿 and god help any poor unfortunate who calls to my door encouraging me to pay 😯

Jedt
    Keymaster

well said beams – you should run as a TD, we could do with someone talking sense in there!! 😉

Taylor5

Well said Beams, but do remember those poor unfortunates who will be given the job to call door to door are just normal workers, doing what they are told to do….so go easy on them, email local TD’s

Jedt
    Keymaster

I feel terribly sorry for those poor guys who have to go door to door and remind us to pay. thats a shocking thing to make them do. If the TD’s want it they should come and ask for it……

As for what they are going to do with this money….there are no footpaths on a large section between our estate and the village and we have to walk on dangerous roads. when the country was awash with money they would not build footpaths here and even though we try to get local TD’s involved, nothing has happened. If I thought it would go to pay for something good like footpaths maybe I would pay it then but how do we know what they ar going to do with it?

beams

Your right Taylor – i will be on my best behaviour to whomsoever calls – scouts honour 😉 By the way – listening to Pat Kenny this morning – this money wont be going to just our community if at all – the minister said for example if Leitrim has a bad turnout in the household tax – their services need to be paid for and money will be distributed from the fund – so whatever you are paying could be going to pay for street lighting in Donegal 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.