shopping in northern ireland

Home Forums National Chat shopping in northern ireland

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    viv

Has anyone been to asda in Kilkeel hearing great reports its about 20mins from Newry and its much cheaper then sainburys going food shopping on thursday and was just wondering is it worth the extra drive from Newry

Taylor5

I know one of the girls from here went up a while back, she got lovely kids clothes but not too sure about the shopping… I know she hasnt gone back and still shops in Sainsburys, so dont know if thats anything to go by

Gismo

A girl from work goes there and says its brilliant..going to head up there next time as i’m sick of being ripped off down here

Yvonne

Was only talking about this today, seems like a much better deal to head up North to shop – I seen a report in the Mirror paper a couple of weeks back and some prices were double that being charged in the North… its ridiculous.

louise789

I’m from England originally and can confirm that Asda is MUCH cheaper than Sainsbury’s for lots of things, and the clothes are great value too. You can usually get lots of buy-one-get-one free offers etc and theydo have good choice usually too.. I have to say I prefer Sainsbury’s for the overall quality and for getting fancy things and organic stuff, but if you’re trying to save pennies (or cents should I say!) Asda is definitely the way forward!! I will definitely be heading up to the place you’ve mentioned now we’re on our new very tight budget since I decided to become a SAHM a couple of weeks ago!!

Taylor5

My dh was sooo against this type of shopping… Ie money leaving the Irish economy
    But after talking about how we have to manage on one wage (im SAHM too) and the constant increase of our weekly shopping bill, he said we will head up in a few weeks and see how things go… I currently spend between 150 and 180 a week in Dunnes plus about 30 to 40 euro in the local butchers… just sooo fed up paying out and have the feeling Im not getting value for money

munchin
    Participant

i haven’t ventured up north as of yet but my dh is from england and at least twice a year we go over to england in the car and without fail we pack up the car from asda before we come back – apart from the fact its cheaper dh can also pick up things that he can’t get here.
    going to give the north a shot in a few weeks too me thinks

happymumblemum
    Participant

go there every fortnight – sainsburys that is.

Unbelievable difference in price and choice HOWEVER i had noticed that I tend to buy more snacky/processed foods up there than i would in Drogheda, as the choice is so vast so I will have to curb that.

By the way fruit and veg i find is more expensive in the North Supermarkets…ALDI still cannot be beaten on fruit and veg

viv

went to sainsburys today saved about 100 euros on my shopping place was packed shelves nearly empty ,my son bought dublin jersey for 30euros in oneills at the quays. 50euroes in Dublin someone is making big money and the greed has to stop some one in sainsburys said they have taken on 40% more staff to cope with the amount of people coming from south.

Taylor5

Profit is one thing Viv but I think it has more to do with the tax and VAT levels down her compared to the North.

HMM I didnt like the fruit in Aldi thought Lidl was better, but think I’ll start back shopping in the farm shop at grangerath or Lisamor in Laytown, well a visit

Yvonne

I think I prefer Lidl fruit & veg to Aldi too. My parents are going up to Sainsburys today, so should be interesting to see how it goes for them up there.

rossylisa

go to asda when im on me way back from donegal every year … last yr i got dds t-shirts for pe it was 6 in a pack all for less than 10 euro same with the socks and shirts:D the alchol is really cheap aswell 😀 😀

Yvonne

Where is the Asda again? Does it take long to get there?

rossylisa

i go to the one in strabane

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.