Shocking RTE broadcast this morning

Home Forums National Chat Shocking RTE broadcast this morning

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    pookie4
    Participant

It’s a while since I posted anything but I’m so shocked by an incident this morning that I felt compelled to share with other mothers and perhaps encourage other complaints to rte.

I was watching rte junior this morning (wet yucky morning that it is) with my four children (3,5,7,9). It was about 8.50 am. At a break in the cartoons I flicked to the rte news channel to catch up on the headlines relating to the new government. My children were cuddled up to me on the sofa.

To my horror rte was broadcasting an explicit interview with an adult victim of child abuse. It took me a couple of seconds to click to what the interview was about and then about a minute to extricate myself from the tangle of little arms and legs to retrieve the remote and switch channels. In that ridiculously short period of time I heard about how a child was handcuffed to a bed and abused, as well as words like masturbation and ejaculation and a description of how one child was then compelled to assist in the abuse of another.

I’m not a prude – I teach sex ed to teenage boys as part of my job – but Sweet Jesus, surely this cannot be considered appropriate? I mean is it ok for the state broadcaster to broadcast this kind of stuff on a Saturday morning?

It is at times like this that I wish I was on Facebook….

Am I just reallly, really out of touch????

Jedt
    Keymaster

Nope, that’s crazy at that hour of the day. If your children were flicking the channels and came across that, they would have heard much more of it before they realised toturn it off.

I wonder if they gave a warning before the programme started to viewers that it was of an explicit nature?

But even so, surely that kind of programme should not be on at the time of the morning. Especially on a Saturday when kids are watching TV.

I would complain to RTE, thats not right at all pookie.

The questions that kids ask after hearing something like that….the amount of times I’ve had to hurriedly turn off the news on the radio because of things like this. Its very upsetting for them to hear such explicit things. 🙁

munchin
    Participant

Hi pookie – hope all’s well

Yes it’s a bit much I would say for that hour of a saturday morning alright.
    I’d put the complaint into RTE but I don’t think you’ll get much joy from it but it’s definitely worth getting it in!

Jedt
    Keymaster

I’d still complain, that is too much for that hour of the day on a morning when kids are often watching TV. Not appropriate at all

allyj

I thought things like that were only on after a certain time, sounds like a very explicit account of a horrifying event which I would not want to have to explain to my children until they are a lot older. We do our best as parents to try to protect the innocence of our children for as long as possible so it is irresponsible broadcasting to have this on at this time in my opinion. Definitely send your comlaint.

Daisy37

you should complain, too explict for day time telly

pookie4
    Participant

I have complained. I just feel it is a child-protection issue – there are some things that kids should not be exposed to. Anyway, they have confirmed receipt of my complaint and now have 20 working days to respond officially.

munchin
    Participant

Good pookie – definitely think it should be highlighted

My mam complained about something before and more or less felt she was being called a prude – now it wasn’t as bad as what you’re talking about but she wasn’t impressed
    That said if I’d heard that with my children I too would have put in a complaint!

pookie4
    Participant

Sorry about delay responding – they said it was shown in error (‘a serious error’) ^ that an investigation was being launched, but that what my kids see on tv is my responsibility. I accepted part one, objected to part two & got not reply.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.