secondary school choices

Home Forums Louth Chat secondary school choices

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    happymumblemum
    Participant

Help?

What have u heard? What do you know?
    All stories gratefully received!
    ( Drogheda )
    Thought I’d made a choice but have been to open evenings and now I’m more confused!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Pretty confused ourselves!!! We are leaning towards the new Gaelscoil in Balbriggan because our children go to the Gaelscoil on Mill Road and we want to keep them with the Irish. Its hard to know where to pick…

Hope you get some good info to help you 😀

munchin
    Participant

my dd is only in 2nd class but would be interested in replies here too

libby1
    Participant

What type of school?
    my son is in transition year in St Mary’s Disocean School, he has got on so well, he is not into sports at all, and was worried about going there, but he has got a lot of academic opportunities

My daughter is in first year of Sacred Heart school in Drogheda, very strict, took her about 6 weeks to settle, gets a lot of homework for first year.

ST Oliver’s Community College, Drogheda in the disadvantage area gets a lot of extra funding

happymumblemum
    Participant

Secondary Libby …between new ballymakenny college ..greenhills

ed1
    Participant

Libby1 my son probably knows your son. He is also doing TY in St. Marys this year and loving it so far.

I do think St Marys comes across as a better school than St Olivers but that’s probably cause I have no personal experience of there. I always preferred to send my boys to all boys schools (mind you DS2 is in the new St marys primary which is mixed and is getting on fine) but I do think that in secondary the girls could be a distraction and vice versa.

libby1
    Participant

I’m sure he does, st Mary’s parish primary is an excellent school, so glad my dd got the opportunity of a mixed primary school..

joeyrudd

my eldest is in 4th class and is starting to think of what school to go to
    she’s in an educate together school and i’d like her to go onto the secondary one being built on the ballymakenny road but i guess it also depends where her friends are going too

i told my lot i don’t mind where they go but they are not going to st olivers secondary

libby1
    Participant

Joeyrudd

Why not St Oliver’s?

All schools have stories, i know success and unsuccessful stories from all schools.
    Its up to the individual student to work

St Oliver’s fits in to the disadvantage schools and gets extra funding for curriculum activities, Pupils get extra marks for Leaving Cert subjects..

I went to that school too

ghouri

All schools have stories, i know success and unsuccessful stories from all schools.
    Its up to the individual student to work

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.