Savita inquest – what do you think?

Home Forums National Chat Savita inquest – what do you think?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I just think it is so very sad, her poor husband was expecting this year to be a one of joy with a new baby & a happy mum & he has neither.it really breaks my heart.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Its heart breaking listening to this on the news. whatever was it turns out, they let that woman die when her life could have been saved.

I am all for looking after the baby during pregnancy but when the baby has no chance of survival and the mother’s life is at risk, they should have stepped in and done a termination to save her life.

The doctor said she was going to do it but it was too little, too late.

The comments about it not being allowed because we are a Catholic country are awful. I would say that’s true – even though they are denying it. There are a lot of old fashioned opinions still rattling around our hospitals. Its just so sad this happened when it could have been prevented.

what do ye think of it all?

Bookwitch

Its a horrible tragedy that could have been prevented we’ll have to wait and see if they decide there was medical negligence but it breaks my heart that the law allows this to happen. There is so little respect for women from state institutions. I would like to see abortion legalised but that is my personal opinion and what happened to Savita shouldn’t happen in any modern economy whether abortion is legal or not. The pro-life campaign have been very vocal in this country and they should be reminded that a healthy woman with a husband, a family, an education and a job is a life that should be valued above a foetus that cannot survive outside of that women’s womb.

pookie2

Regardless of anyone’s opinion on abortion, it is clear that there were several ‘systems failures’ during her care – blood tests not followed up (& antibiotics not given in time?), vital signs not monitored at regular intervals, files not filled in at the time…. And I absolutely agree, no woman should die during pregnancy in an Irish hospital if at all avoidable… I’m shocking sorry for her husband, but at least the truth seems to be coming out in the inquest…Seems clear that one way or the other the legal side of things needs to be clarified…

Bookwitch

If the legal side of things is sorted out then at least something good will have come out of this tragedy. I think the husband is an incredible strong and brave man and I admire his conviction. I really hope that he finds happiness in the years to come he deserves it.

Yvonne

The bigger problem is that the system let her down, regardless of the abortion issue.
    I don’t understand why the midwife who said she couldn’t have an abortion is being questioned. As the fact is, abortion is not permitted here.

I do think it should be, especially for medical reasons.

The proper checks were not done and if they were, maybe she would be still here.

Bookwitch

I think it shows what a confused system we have had surely there has to be a way of helping women who are suffering? because of the tangled legal issues doctor have to tread so carefully they should be able to make medical decisions appropriate to the health of the patient without worrying that they will be questioned. I feel sorry for the midwife she was apparently just chatting and made a remark which was taken out of context by the papers and made to seem that she was being callous towards Savita.

pookie2

The whole subject is a minefield – people can have very strong views on the subject, & I’m nervous to even touch on the subject.

That said, I’d hate to see liberal abortion on demand system, personally, but I understand abortion to be the deliberate destruction of the foetus for no other reason than that. But if a woman is miscarrying anyway, where’s the harm in hurrying it up if that is what she wants? Likewise if a woman needs medical treatment that will cause her pregnancy to terminate as a side-effect, I reckon docs should plough ahead with the treatment.

Oh, I don’t know…. I stand in judgement of no one… I just can’t help remembering seeing my first baby’s little foot as clear as day on that first scan & nothing will convince me that my baby was not a little person even at that stage….

Bookwitch

It is a thorny issue alright but like a lot of things same sex marriage, children’s rights etc Ireland’s legal system is in the dark ages.

pookie2

Same sex marriage won’t be touched on by this gov, I reckon – the whole abortion thing is giving them enough of a headache. They’ll try to pass the buck to the next gov – sure that is what they’ve been doing with the abortion topic for 20+ years….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.