Remembering 9/11

Home Forums National Chat Remembering 9/11

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

Do you remember where you were when you heard that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Centre on September 11th 2001? And then, a few minutes later, that another plane had crashed into the other tower. It was unbelievable that this was happening on TV in front of our eyes.

I was working for a US company, Oracle, at the time and it was devastating for us, as some of our colleagues were killed in the towers and on one of the flights, United 94

It was so hard to believe it was real as we watched the events unfold. Watching the smoke coming out of the towers. Watching the people trying to get out of the towers from above where the planes had hit, watching some of those people jump to their deaths and then, the absolute shock when the towers crumbled and fell.

A colleague that I worked with, who was based in California, was on the flight that went down on its way to Washington. He was one of the people who overpowered the terrorists on that flight. I remember watching the movie they made a few years later and seeing the actors reenact the events that unfolded and showing how these normal people – who knew they were going to die – decided to not let the terrorists win and brought the plane down instead.

It a very sad day for Americans today and for the very many Irish people who were affected, from the police & firefighters to the Irish people working in the trade centres too – they are in my thoughts.

Yvonne

I remember it well, was in work too – and the whole place was shocked as we watched it online…

Was watching a documentary last night on it, still find watching programmes about it so surreal…

munchin
    Participant

I was on holidays in Wales
    We were out for the day and only heard the news on the way home – got back to house we were staying in and the rest of the family were all sat infront of the TV in shock watching it on sky news

ed1
    Participant

I was shopping in Dublin with my Mam. We heard that a plane had crashed and went downstairs in Roches (think its Debenhams now) in the Ilac to the tv section. You couldn’t move in the place, everyone just crowded round the tellys. We saw the second plane hit.

Went home straight away as just wanted to be home to my baby.

Sat watching sky news with DH that night till the early hours.

Jedt
    Keymaster

I remember when we got home from work, just sitting and watching the TV crying and in absolute shock. My aunt lives in New York and we were petrified about whether she was affected but thankfully, she was nowhere near it. It still send shivers down my spine when I see programmes where they show the towers falling. Horrid.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.