Religion and schools

Home Forums National Chat Religion and schools

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    CC

Hi does anyone know aside from le cheile (its booked up for the year i need) if there is another muli-dom/non-religious primary school in monington/donacarney/bettystown/laytown? thanks!

rossylisa

theres one in drogheda but a bit far prob for u ..termon abbey its only opend since september hth

CC

thanks lisa yes bit far for us but bit confused.. tried to register kids in our ‘catchment school’ and was told they had to be baptised?? Does that sound strange to anyone else

joey_rudd

yes we heard that too, our children aren’t baptised either so its eiher the school in termon abbey or nothing

libby1
    Participant

I was shocked to hear of two or children over the Christmas who were very ill and had not been baptised….
    and where baptised due to their illness

mamacita

Hi CC,
    Gaelscoil an Bhradáin Feasa is a non denominational Irish school. Its located just of the mornington road. I don’t know if they have places but you could give them a try…

[url]http://www.gsanbhradainfeasa.com/
    [/url]
    Good luck!
    Mamacita

mamacita

Hi CC,
    Gaelscoil an Bhradáin Feasa is a non denominational Irish school. Its located just of the mornington road. I don’t know if they have places but you could give them a try…

http://www.gsanbhradainfeasa.com/

Good luck!
    Mamacita

There is an educate together school running from the Grammar School. The thing about local schools seems to be they are linked to the church so all children who are baptasied and living in the catchment will get a place first and then will be open to all other children

CC

thanks for that, ill check into it during the week. at this rate i thought i might have to home-school them!!

as for the baptism its probably the wrong term to use as it is a term common to many religions ‘christened’ is what i should have said as this means to become part of the roman catholic church.

olol do offer to bless or baptise when you have a sick baby. both mine were in the nicu. the priest did a blessing and annointing for my son in there, it wasnt about a religion, it was spiritual but some people i know did question it and wondered if it was official…like it realy matters in the greater scheme what or who you believe in – once you’re not doing damage or out hurting people.

libby1
    Participant

Unfor most schools were built and run by the church – thats why they can pick & choose who they want in…

As well as that you are not guaranteed a place even in catchement area. My friend her son is in st.josephs primary 6th and didn’t get a place for St. Josephs secondary .. they live in catchement area..

I know in Fatmia there is Kids who go there and are not catholic and don’t particpate in religious studies… So times have changed..

scole1

i do think it’s a bit silly that your child can’t be educated in a catholic school unless they are christened, can you not argue this matter with the school itself??? are they if saying you need baptismal certificate etc upon enterance to the school that if you don’t have this your child can’t attend are they not depriving the child of their constitutional right to be educated??? i think gone are the days that the catholic church had the power and i think that people shouldn’t be forced either way if they themselves are unsure or sure of what religion or spiritual path they like to follow….

try gaelscoil an breadan feasa, they are having their meeting for those wishing to attend in september next week so ring them and see if you can get your child’s name down, i’ve heard great reports from parents that have their children there…..my ds name is down for the past 2 years since they started discussing opening, as well as le cheile since was 3months old…..i like the ethos and the fact that classes are small…..

best of luck hop ya get sorted soon….

ellokittee

oh, i’m soooo glad someone brought this subject up, i am so confused when it comes to the school system here (I’m from the states). DD is 2 next month, has not been christened, and no plans to do so either. i have been told left, right, and center that we haven’t a hope of getting her into any school here, especially as we are not on any "waiting lists" yet? She’s only 2, surely I don’t have to start applying already? what age does school start here? and what happens if there are no places available at the few non-denom. schools when she is ready to start, she just doesn’t get to go to school? it all seems horribly awkward and backwards to me. people keep telling me to just get her christened it will make it so much easier, but i can’t stand being a hypocrite and refuse to go that route.

are there any sites you can recommend that would give a run-down on the Irish education system for dummies like me? 😳

Gosh, there is so much to think about when bringing a child into this world, i never EVER dreamed that this issue would be such a struggle.

CC

hi all, we got sorted out with the gaelscoil. as i mentioned before the local le cheile was oversubscribed for the years I need. I take scoles point about taking it up with the school, but on reflection – i dont want my children to be in an environment where all the other children will be making their communion being asked to attend the local church. ( I heard there is @question time on mondays about what the service was like etc…

In short it sounds like a lovely idea and it is very community orientated if you are indeed catholic. It’s not the schools fault they’re well within their rights to continue as they have done for the past 20 years. The fault has to lie with the local authorities for not ensuring that their are the facilities for with all the new houses and new people that have come to live in drogheda and surrounding suburbs.

Anyway rant over, thanks for listening..!!

scole1

delighted ya got sorted with the gaelscoil…as far as i known likele cheile if you want your child to get it’s holy communion you do it out of hours…which for some they think pain in the bum but for others it’s great as they have the control and guidance for their children….
    glad ya got sorted hope your child will be happy as well as you with the school….

mammycool
    Participant

Hi girls,

The whole issue with places in schools is to do with the lack of schools available for the population. Traditionally, 90% of Irish were catholic. The churchs paid to have the schools built. The government give a budget to the schools each year – typically this budget does not cover the expenses for the year – particularly in smaller schools, as it is based on head count. The shortfall in this and any other bills is made up by the local parish – ie. the catholics who fund raise and do collections in the churches.

It is for this reason, that catholic children are always giving priority in these schools. The schools will still take children from other religions but only if there are spaces available once the catholic children have been catered for. Getting a child baptised just bumps them up the waiting list. The nearer to the school you are, the better your chances.

A non-catholic child attending a catholic school will be given the choice on whether or not they wish to participate in the christmas school play, they will also be allowed participate in the First Communion cermony – they dress up like any other little boy or girl and approach the alter but do not actually getting the communion. The schools try to have a spirit of inclusion but obviously the parents are consulted on anything that has religous implication and it is their decision.

So, I think, the blame here, lies with the government.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.