Reflux

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

My baby boy is 6 weeks old. He has colic and reflux since around 3-4 weeks. His sleeping is sooo poor, he can sleep an hour or 2 and then being awake for a few hours. Meaning I don’t get any sleep and can’t do anything. Night time is the same.
    The public nurse does not seem to see an issue as the baby keeps putting on weight, even though he is spitting up lots of food (I do breastfeed and use the Cow&Gate Comfort formula).The GP is the same ,forget.I know lots of babies have some reflux, but not at that point. I can see my baby tired of crying and tired bcs of not sleeping.

For colic we are seeing a chiropractor, we see some effect (not much) after 5th treatment. Then we tried gripe water, infacol.
    But reflux is just very very bad. The baby wants to eat all the time,and I try a dummy (when i know there is no way he can be hungry), but he refuses to take it. Putting him in bed on flat position makes even worse, you can hear the food coming up to his mouth and coming down, and then he starts screaming.We use Clavamama pillow for reflux&colic babies, but it didn’t help.We also being advised to use Infant Gaviscon,but not much help either. He can fall asleep on my chest in upright or semi upright position. But then he has to stay that way in order to stay asleep.
    I just want to pull my hair out, so exhausted. Any advice? PLEASE.

Moonflower

Hi…i have never really understood the whole reflux thing but after reading several stories i do believe that both my DS suffered with reflux issues as what ur describing is exactly what my ds’s were like at a similar age..i have a 10wk old baby boy now & like u until about a week ago he was constantly glued to my breast and only sleeping for short periods day & night & only way he cd sleep deeply was on my chest upright..i mentioned to a health visitor and she said how big an issue do u want to make of it..are you able to cope with the knowledge it will improve and he is healthy…& i decided yes i was as it wouldnt last forever..i would say from last week on he is sleeping slightly better & the reflux has improved as he is not feeding quite so much…

i have allowed him to lead me and yes it is exhausting constantly feeding but with the knowledge it will only last a few weeks it helped me thru…

last night for example he slept from 8pm til 11.30 pm then woke every hour or so until 6am when he was awake…he slept on & off in his crib & on my chest etc thruout night..but i do seem to be gettin some sleep as i am not as tired as i was..but i do think that when i relaxed over the reflux thing it helped me cope easier…

i am not so sure about the colic..but i do find that best way to wind DS is to lean him forward bwteen my legs with his head facing floor..he gets great comfort that way…

i do understand how tough it is & i am struggling at times but i am seeing improvements already so my best advice is carry on with what you are doing, hang in there and try best not to worry too much…it will get easier…thats the great thing about breastfeeding u have a wondrful way of soothing baby if u allow baby to lead you. if my ds wants a feed he gets a feed… 🙂

MaryE

Hi There,

God i feel for you. You are really trying everything, fairplay to you.

My ds had Pyloric stenosis (sp) – have they definately ruled that out?? Dont mean to give you a fright but it could be a possibility. My gp didnt think it at first cause ds was putting on weight, even when i when they sent me to olol as a precaution for a scan the ped dr didnt think that he had it but he did. Once he had the little operation he never suffered from it again.

My dd on the otehr hand was full blown colic & i tried everythingyou tried & they all gave some relief but to be honest it didnt stop til she was nearly five months, she just grew out of it. Sorry thats probably not what you wnat to hear but i dont think there always is an answer. It is exhausting, i know.

What you need is help in the meantime. Ask friends & family to mind him while you have a sleep everyday. Get out for a walk every evening or even for a coffee for an hour.

When you cnat fix the problem, you just have to learn to deal with it, so that you dont pull your hair out.

Remember Take care of yourself as well.

Well done for trying everything, you are doing your best.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Alex,

We posted this topic on our Mumstown facebook page for you too and there are some answers there is you would like to take a look over there.

hope things pick up soon for you both.

muppet

My baby had very bad colic as well and he wouldn’t stay in the pram or bed or anything. He had no reflux though, but the wind was causing him trouble. What we did just to get him stop crying, was to put him into a baby carrier. He was upright and comfortable and usually fell asleep in no time. I had my hands free and could at least have something to eat 🙂 . In the evening his daddy would take over and have him in the baby carrier. Once baby was asleep he could sit down, get comfy and surf the internet or watch tv and I had a few hours of piece 😉 !
    The great thing about this was, that the baby got plenty of rest this way and was in much better form when he was awake! He got into a nice routine through this and eventually (after a few weeks) I could put him into his bed for a nap 😛 . The colic stopped when he was 3 months old and he turned into a really easy going baby.

Hang in there it should gradually get better after 6 weeks and if you see the reflux getting worse or not improving at all, demand a referral to a peadiatritian!!! Reflux can be very bad and damage baby’s throat (if it’s really bad) you might want to have it checked out if it doesn’t improve.

suzieQ

My DD had silent Reflux had Colic..
    Here are some tips that might be worth a go
    Cant remember where I got them!!!
    Management hints
    1. Keep your baby upright for at least 30 minutes after a feed.

2. Use a baby sling, which allows you to keep your child upright, while keeping your hands free. Avoid baby slumping.

3. Try elevating the head of the cot/bassinet

4. Consider using a dummy.

5. Avoid vigorous movements or bouncing the baby.

6. The best time to lay your baby on the floor is when baby’s tummy is empty, i.e. before a feed

7. Change nappy before a feed. Take care to elevate the baby’s head and shoulders. Avoid lifting the legs too high, and turn to the side if possible.

8. Avoid any tight clothing around the waist, such as tight nappies, elastic waistbands.

9. Avoid overfeeding – if the baby vomits, wait until the next feeding rather than feeding them again.

10. If the baby is bottle-fed, it may be worthwhile trying AR (anti-reflux) formula, or a hypoallergenic one.

11. Offer a spoonful of thickened milk (formula or breastmilk) following the feed.

12. If breastfeeding, avoid foods that can aggravate reflux such as citrus, tomato, fatty foods, spicy foods, chocolate and carbonated drinks.

13. Some reflux children may suffer from food sensitivities, and may need dietary restrictions (or the mother may consider an elimination diet). If you suspect foods may be responsible for your child’s condition, it is essential to discuss this with your health care provider. Do not change your or your child’s diet before seeking medical advice.

14. Avoid exposure to tobacco smoke.

15. Contact a reflux support organisation for further information and support. The effect on the baby AND the family can be devastating and support groups can provide more detailed information, and offer the emotional support you may need

Berry

Hi Alex2011

Sent you a pm.

Berry

Jedt

Berry – if you have some suggestions please go ahead and add them, all advice on this topic most welcome.

Alex – we found our baby was very fussy in the evenings, not reflux but fussy and crying; we bought a Graco swing chairin Smyth’s, it keeps baby upright and gently swings her back & forth. it has been a lifesaver, it gently rocks her to sleep and give us a few minutes to stick on dinner or do whatever we need to do. Got it half price, down from 99 to 49 euro. wish we had one for our previous babies, it is very good, might help your little one.

hope you all sleeping better soon, take care

gracem

My baby boy is 6 weeks old. He has colic and reflux since around 3-4 weeks. His sleeping is sooo poor, he can sleep an hour or 2 and then being awake for a few hours. Meaning I don’t get any sleep and can’t do anything. Night time is the same.
    The public nurse does not seem to see an issue as the baby keeps putting on weight, even though he is spitting up lots of food (I do breastfeed and use the Cow&Gate Comfort formula).The GP is the same ,forget.I know lots of babies have some reflux, but not at that point. I can see my baby tired of crying and tired bcs of not sleeping.

For colic we are seeing a chiropractor, we see some effect (not much) after 5th treatment. Then we tried gripe water, infacol.
    But reflux is just very very bad. The baby wants to eat all the time,and I try a dummy (when i know there is no way he can be hungry), but he refuses to take it. Putting him in bed on flat position makes even worse, you can hear the food coming up tohis mouth and coming down, and then he starts screaming.We use Clavamama pillow for reflux&colic babies, but it didn’t help.We also being advised to use Infant Gaviscon,but not much help either. He can fall asleep on my chest in upright or semi upright position. But then he has to stay that way in order to stay asleep.
    I just want to pull my hair out, so exhausted. Any advice? PLEASE.

Hi

My little man had colic until he was over 1 i tried everything changed his milk gave him drop the whole lot eventually i was about to lose the plot and went back to my doctor who suggest infacol and dentenox together which i have 2 say really did help. I also found that he wouldn’t take a soother and was hungry all the time and my partner put his vitaminD drops on a soother and he started sucking it from there and still sucks it now he’s 15 months

good luck hope you get some sleep soon

Anonymous
    Inactive

Girls, thanks so much for your help and advise.I felt like I was on my own, feeling much better 😀 now after your posts. It is great you are here.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.