Referendum on gay marriage

Home Forums National Chat Referendum on gay marriage

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

What do you think of the current governments idea of having a referendum on gay marriage in 2015 (right before the next elections?)

Are they doing it for the right reasons – so that gay couples can have the same rights as mixed couples – or are they doing it so that they may be remembered for something other than the complete mess they have made of things since they went into office?

Do you think the referendum will be successful and will mean equal rights for gay couples and their children?

Should they be focusing on the economy and generating employment more at this stage, rather than referendums etc

mammycool
    Participant

I think it is more a case of, the local elections are on so why not get this referendum out of the way at the same time.

They do not appear to do well in any referendums but they can say that they did put the question to the public.

Jedt
    Keymaster

I think this referendum would do well. I think most people want gay couples and their children to have the same rights as hetro couples.

I hope it goes ahead for their sakes. I just don’t think the govt has their best interests at heart for running it, I think its calculated to get them re-elected.

Then again, I have no faith in that lot anymore so even if they are doing it for the right reasons, I would have my doubts about them!!

lellykelly

I think that it would pass.

If it was a publicity stunt, i think most people would see that. I doubt that the majority of people would vote for a party based on this issue alone. I don’t doubt that the government will use the fact that they held the referendum to their advantage in an election campaign but if its in the programme for government and they didn’t do it, it would quickly be held up as an example of an election promise broken. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I really don’t see why anybody would ever want to enter politics, as far as i can see its a no win most of the time.

As for creating jobs, i would imagine that most of the work in running a referendum is done by department of the environment and most of the legislation in this case would be drafted by department of justice and so the impact wouldnt really effect economic policies or work being doneon that

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.