Recommendations for wooden floor suppliers??

Home Forums Louth Chat Recommendations for wooden floor suppliers??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    beams

Have finally made a decision to get rid of my cream carpet in the sitting room (well was once cream pre. children :lol: :lol: ) and get wooden floors in . I want the real wood not laminate in a dark wood. Has anybody any recommendations on where to go please ? :D

soccermum

I recently got reclaimed Barn Oak flooring from Wilsons. You can check them at wilsonsyard.com . It looks really great down and we used a guy from Cavan to lay it and polish it up in a high gloss. So now it has a few nail marks but that just washed wet shine on it all the time. well worth the money.

libby1
    Participant

Try Connect in Drogheda facing the Mooreland on West st…. My brother puts down floors… If you want his number…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Know when I was putting down floors I went for the laminate purely because it takes abuse…the real wood floors get marked much easier. Some very good laminates out there with texture etc. on them. But maybe its the real wood look you prefer……depends on the traffic I suppose.

Maria30

Just another warning on solid wooden floors, my Mam has one in her sitting room and its full of marks and scraps. And where my dad and brothers sit there are scuff marks on the floor from them constantly shuffling there feet.

Laminate flooring takes a lot of abuse but as Mummy5 said it depends on the amount of traffic your floor would get and if the kids would be playing in the room.

Taylor5

I recently got reclaimed Barn Oak flooring from Wilsons. You can check them at wilsonsyard.com . It looks really great down and we used a guy from Cavan to lay it and polish it up in a high gloss. So now it has a few nail marks but that just washed wet shine on it all the time. well worth the money.

Did he varnish the floor with that "wet shine look" do you know what he used?
    The reason i ask, as the girls said above i have solid oak and when i say its in bits, between dog nail marks and kid marks, it needs to be sanded and revarnished….. but im half tempted to rip up and put laminate flooring down (but dh will divorce me)

I got 2 packs of oak laminate flooring in Woodies, all reduced down, 8e per pack reduced from nearly 50e… they still have a bit left on a pallet at the front of the shop……. i only needed a small bit of oak so delighted with my bargain find.

I would second laminate as i have it in the playroom and not as much as a mark on it….. i would say invest in a good thermal barrier to insulate under it, i find laminate floor very cold as its so thin and sits direct onto concrete floor.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, we put some stuff down under the floors downstairs as all concrete. I got mine in Woodies, priced everywhere and got a 10% discount when I asked the manager, was doing 5 bedrooms, sitting room, hall, landing so needed a good quantity. I have no problems with it at all. And definately a darker colours, I have rustic oak….the pine colours show every black mark!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, we put some stuff down under the floors downstairs as all concrete. I got mine in Woodies, priced everywhere and got a 10% discount when I asked the manager, was doing 5 bedrooms, sitting room, hall, landing so needed a good quantity. I have no problems with it at all. And definately a darker colours, I have rustic oak….the pine colours show every black mark!

Taylor5

you can buy a thing like tin foil to stop the cold come through the floor…. Woodies are great for discounts

Mummy5 is that your old house up for sale again?? Was on Daft earlier… think its your house

Anonymous
    Inactive

Had a nosey as you do 🙂 but didnt see it….mind you an awful lot of houses up for sale…didnt expect so many in the Drogheda area alone…..great time for buyers if you have a mortgage approved…..a buyers market still I’d say…wooden floors and all thrown in 😆

beams

Thanks for the tips girls ….. think i will go with the laminate so as there will be traffic in the room as try as i might i still cant train the kids to stay out of the sitting room 😆 😆 I like the darker woods – i remember looking at cherry wood way back in my child free days when i was decorating the house but settled then on cream wool carpet ….good choice eh 🙄 🙄
    Will price around and Libby1 may be in touch to get price from your brother 😀

Scarlett

Try Irwins in Castleblaney -fantastic collection

Fabienne

I got mine laminate in B&Q.
    Went with my dad and you get 10% off extra even on sales prices one day in the week (depends on the shop).
    I do prefer real wood but went for laminate, we picked one with edges (special term) and it does look nice, because of the edgy thing it’s closer to wood but still no questions it’s laminate easy to see.

Fabienne

mammycool
    Participant

Hi there,

If you buy your wooden floor from Des Kellys – I think they put it down for free – used to anyway.

I have laminate Arro Tritty. I have a very pale wood in my bedroom and it never ever look dirty. It looks as good as the day it went down. I have a dark walnut colour in my sitting room and I hate it. The lovely darkglossy shine disappeared so fast – it is hard work to keep it – always looks dirty. When I wash it, I then have to buff it dry to get any sort of a gloss on it.

My neighbour also has a dark wood laminate upstairs – it looks like a reddish brown – possibly cherry wood effect. Anyhow, hers looks fab – she says she just washes with water and washing up liquid.(In saying that, she is always cleaning and everything is spotless – so she could be down on her hands and needs on a daily basis keeping it.

Does anyone know of any sort of polish or varnish that you can put on a laminate floor to restore its sheen?

Taylor5

I have a thing i got in Supervalu will post up later as i need to go out and get the name, its brilliant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.