Prune juice – manky but effective

Home Forums Pregnancy, Mums2Be, Birth, New Parents Prune juice – manky but effective

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

Thanks to the girls who gave me the tip for prune juice last week, it is horrible but its very effective for mums-to-be suffering from constipation.

Sorry if this is TMI – but had to share as its really helpful for pregnancy when things can ‘slow down’ for our digestive systems, so definitely recommend it.

Just make sure to have a big glass of orange juice or something like that ready to drink straight after, as its quite bad tasting!! :lol:

CaliGal

i chop them up and add to my morning porridge..they are lovely with cranberries and sunflower seeds in the mix!

Jedt
    Keymaster

That might be a better way to take them! Love porridge…yummy!!! I add linseed and a dash of maple syrup to mine.

lellykelly

Sabbi, I’ve a lovely recipe for spiced prunes. Doesnt sound the most appealing but its like a relish, type of thing you would eat with cold meats or cheese. Its tasty but has all the goodness of the prunes. I can send it to you if you want X

Jedt
    Keymaster

Please pop it on here lellykelly so other mums-to-be can use it too. Thanks for that 🙂

lellykelly

1 lb large prunes
    2 pints cold fresh tea
    1/4 pint wine vinegar
    8oz. muscovado sugar
    2 bay leaves
    1 cinnamon stick
    6 juniper berries
    Rind of 1 lemon

– Soak the prunes overnight in the cold tea.
    – Next day, place the prunes in a saucepan with half the tea and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 10 – 15 minutes until just tender.
    – Drain the prunes, reserving the liquid.
    – Put the vinegar, sugar, herbs, spices and lemon rind in a pan and heat gently until the sugar is dissolved.
    – Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 5 minutes.
    – Add 1/2 pint of the reserved liquid from the prunes and bring back to the boil.
    – Pack the cold prunes into sterlised jars and pour over the liquid to cover.
    – Cover immediately with tight fitting lids and keep until needed. The prunes may be eaten 24 hours after potting.

Bit of effort 🙂 & the smell of boiling vinegar isn’t the nicest but don’t let that put you off, its a much nicer way of eating prunes! We have it with cheese on crackers or with a salad….. 😀

CaliGal

That might be a better way to take them! Love porridge…yummy!!! I add linseed and a dash of maple syrup to mine.

Not sure if you know this or not but Linseed/Flax is only absorbable /digestible when ground up. Otherwise it’s just expensive fiber and you are not getting the Omegas you thought you were!!

Mark Acu

Hi Sabbi

Oh the fun side of pregnancy eh 😕

I recommend flax seed to pregnant ladies or anyone who has slow beowl problems. If you take it in your porridge you wond even know its there. You can also put it into soups and stews.

After a few days 😀 😀 😀

Enjoy

Mark

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.