Private Fees in Lourdes?

Home Forums National Chat Private Fees in Lourdes?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone know what the fees are to go private and what difference if any being a VHI policy holder makes?

Jedt
    Keymaster

There are different fees for different consultants, it depends on who you want to see. For semi-private cover the VHI covers most or all of it, depending on which plan you are on and for private you need to pay something towards the consultant fees.

The cost for our private birth with Dr Rabee a few years ago in the Lourdes was 3,500 euro and we did not get the private room as they were all full; she was not at the birth because she was out that day and there were no epidural available to me because it was a bank holiday weekend and they were short staffed. Honestly, it was a waste of money. If you are looking for a guaranteed private birth, you are better off going to a private maternity hospital

if I was going private again, I would go to Mount Carmel, they have packages from 1,399 with health insurance and you are guaranteed a private room, private consultant etc and loads of extras.

For a private birth that is a good option and its not far to go with the M50. Worth checking out: http://www.mcm.ie/mch_maternity.html

Taylor5

Good luck with your pregnancy, i went public so i wouldnt know… but if mount Carmel are doing offers from 1,700e im sure the Lourdes consultants would have had to have come down in price!
    It might be worth a drive up to Dublin and going private in style

TrishE

Thanks for the replies.
    As I work in Dublin City and my husband south Dublin, I went Semi-Private in Rotunda in last November and had no issues. My son had shoulder dystocia and had a vacum birth and I had an Episiopothy and the care was great. This time, seeing as I am still on leave, Dublin seemed a bit far for appointments which is why we considered the Lourdes as we live in Drogheda.
    My GP recommended Dr Milner as I recently developed a Thyroid problem…
    Cant seem to find info anywhere re fees and I dont want to ask my friends at this (very) early stage : (

Margo

You can call up the clinics in OLOL and ask for prices, you can do tat without giving your name or making appt – at this stage you just need info and they can give that easily over phone

sweetpea1979

I had both DS’s with Dr Rabee…first one cost me €2,300 and second one cost me €1750…she was present at first birth, second one she was there in early stages, but I progressed to quick for the second one for her to come back…she did do the stitching though 😳 ….. i didn’t get the private room on first one, did on the second one…if I were to have another baby, I’d probably just go public tbh

snowdrop

I went private with OLOL and it cost 2600 with Dr Milner(2009) but got no Dr Milner at the birth or private room in hospital but was still charged. I am due again in 3 weeks and am attending Mount Carmel. I did the affordable shared care as I didnt want to travelling into the hospital for every visit. I live just south of Drogheda and it takes 45 mins up the m50 to get me to the door of Mount Carmel hospital and this has been for appt at 9:30 am. I cant recommend them enough. The staff are so helpful and the place is not over run with patients. The appointments are half hourly slots so you are no rushed in and out. There scanning rooms are state of the art 3d scanning machine and I also recieved a scan in with consultant at every visit so far. Unlike private in the lourdes you are gauranteed the consultant to see you at the birth and your private or semi private room. You are also exempted for the new 75 euro private patient levy ( it was introduced in the budget for private patients in a public hospital because you are a private patient in a private hospital and maternity patients are no exempted for this fee)

Jedt
    Keymaster

If I was going public I would stay local but if I was going private would go to Mount Carmel – having been a patient there before I felt it was more like a hotel than a hospital so at least if you go private there, you get what you pay for!!

mammycool
    Participant

Hi there,

I went private on both mine in OLOL with Dr Harkin. She was present at both births and was needed on both. I got the private room the first time. On the 2nd, I shared a semi-private for a half day and then had it to myself for the rest – ended up staying two night because I had a bleed.

I chose private because of my age. I think if anything does go wrong in a private hospital – they just ship you off to the nearest public hospital anyway.

Check your insurance – I found that mine only covered 200 euro of the pre-natal consultancy fees(which I think were 2,500euro). The fees in the hospital were totally covered.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.