Prime Time show on creches in Ireland – sickening

Home Forums National Chat Prime Time show on creches in Ireland – sickening

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, who watched Prime Time last night?

It was harrowing to watch. I had my hands over my eyes at times, it was like a horror film. As a parent, I found it incredibly disturbing. If I found out someone spoke to one of my children like that, or manhandled one of my children as was shown last night, I would go absolutely mad. I would
    actually lose the plot.

If I found out someone talked down to one of my children or locked them in a room for 3 minutes or strapped them into a highchair for over 2 hours I would want to throttle that person. Our daughter is 21 months old and she does not understand being naughty – she is only a child and would not respond to being shouted at or shoved.

Those parents have been lied to and their children have been abused in many ways. Strapping children in chairs for extended periods is a horrid practice and seeing the children try to walk while in the chair was heartbreaking,

I wonder do the parents of those children know those creche workers? Some had distinct accents and would be known I think. If it was my child, I would go absolutely bazerk – it was horrible to watch.

The lack of inspections is ridiculous, what are the HSE doing not following up on creches that broke so many regulations. Its not acceptable.

What do ye think?

Jedt
    Keymaster

I do ave to say, I don’t think all creches are like what was shown on TV last night. I have called into All Seasons creche in Mornington a few times unannounced and the atmosphere was always lovely. The staff are lovely and always seemed very patient with the children. And when they came to our Mumstown events, they had the patience of saints and all the kids loved them, especially the small ones!!

Also, we really like the Naionra in Bettystown, Cead Ceimheanna. We have sent our two older girls to the Naoinra in Bettystown and found it to be lovely. We never had a complaint from any of our children who went and we will be sending our baby girl when she is 3.

My heart breaks for the families affected by the show last night.

mammycool
    Participant

I was totally disgusted watching Prime Time last night. I would like, very much, to throw that horrible woman around and see how she liked it. How she imagined any child would go asleep when she was shouting, intimidating and shoving them around with a blanket over their head I do not know.

If you want to work with kids, you need to like kids. You need patience and understanding. It is a very hard job to do. I know that I would not be capable of minding a gang of kids but I would never go looking for the job!! If the pay is so bad, I cannot imagine what draws these people to a job they obviously hate!

My two kids were with minders from about 1yr old. My very 1st minder was dodgy!! I did interview and checked her house etc. Beautiful house, immaculately clean. She was grand to start with. Then the standards started dropping. She wanted the job and the money but she wanted to keep her lifestyle. She started going out on a regular basis to have coffee with her friends. She even brough my ds to a pub – where they knew my family and it got back to me.

Anyhow, the final straw came when she left my poor ds with severe nappy rash ina sh*ty nappy. I sacked her on the spot, no notice. . She told me that he was sore and she had put cream on him and that a bath might ease it. What she did not tell me was that she had not even tried to clean him – just left him in dirt. I did not find out until I went home and had a look. Rang up and told her I would not be back.

Luckily, we are in a position now where we do not need a minder. They do miss the last minder, who had them for 3yrs, and the kids that were there. They miss the social side but they get enough of that through school, playschool and play dates.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like you Sabbi was horrified by what i saw on prime time.it made me feel physically sick & i cried throughout a lot it.I didnt sleep a wink last night & i was very upset bringing Hailey to creche this morning.the staff in her room had tears in their eyes as we talked about the programme.I have full confidence in the staff that i leave her with ……but so did the parents that left their kids in those other creches & they thought good care was happening there,it really breaks my heart for those kids & their families

Bookwitch

I think one of the major problems in this country is that too many people go into childcare who simply aren’t suited to the job. There are many unemployed young women being sent on FETAC childcare courses because there is an assumption that they are girls so they will be good at it. I say this as I know someone who was told go on the course or lose their dole. After doing this course they are then qualified to work in a creche but that doesn’t mean they are suited to it. I have three kids so our house is a a busy place and when they were younger it was stressful, I know I couldn’t work full time with a lot of young kids, I don’t have the patience for it. The programme was horrible it made be very angry and I felt awful for the poor kids. It will have upset many women who have small babies in creches. It’s important to remember though that the majority of creches are well run and staffed by good people. My two younger children went to pre-school in Daisy Chain in Drogheda and loved it there.

Bookwitch

Just to say I didn’t see the whole programme I had to turn it off as it was making me angry.

Jedt
    Keymaster

My husband and I watched it together and when we went up to bed we went in and kissed all our children. Bit silly but think we just needed to give them some extra kisses after seeing something so brutal and sad.

munchin
    Participant

i too watched last night and was horrifed ended up in tears when that horrbile person (too kind a word) flipped that child omg even now it upsets me – i can only beging to imagine how the parents of those little children felt – myself and my mam have been discussing it today and she didn’t see it and was shocked by how upset i was retelling it all.

When i was choosing my creche i spent alot of time reasearching everything i needed to know, i visited 5 different creches at the time. one i wouldn’t even visit after a phonecall with the owner. 1 i walked out of telling my hubby there was no way my child was going to it i HATED it, another was okish i just wasn’t entirely happy. The other 2 were Bright horizons centres – they were due to build a centre in ashbourne so i went to visit 2 of their branches and i was very happy with everything i saw – i felt that everything was about the child as it should be. When Ashbourne opened my dd was one of their first babies and with the exception of 2/3 families who’s circumstances changed over the years we all stayed with the centre until our children graduated to Primary school we all got to know each other so well – there was so many tears when they were leaving it was funny! and the tears where from the minders & the mammies! – i can honestly say that my girls were very very happy there and i even have one of the minders as a my babysitter.

Definitely more stringent checks and repercussions should be in place for breaking regulations but i have to believe that not all crehces or childcare professionals are like what was shown on prime time last night.

btw the creche i hated is still going and has even expanded but for love nor money i couldn’t undertand why any parent would want to use it – it felt like an institution to me – was all grey, closed doors, cots in dark rooms with no windows – i was shocked. And the other one i wouldn’t even visit is also still going – i spoke to one of the owners when looking for a creche in the first place and wouldn’t go visit – just didn’t impress me – i phoned the same place to inquire about a preschool place for dd2 and i spoke to the other owner and not only did was i not impressed he ran down the place where my daughter is and is very happy there. Unfortunately people are still using these places which in my opion i wouldn’t dream of putting my child in.

munchin
    Participant

another thing -the fact that they had to doctor their numbers for the ecce classes to me spoke volumes – my dd1 i don’t think missed a day in her year. and DD2 has almost finished her yr and missed one day back last october. 20 days is 4 weeks and to me that so many would have missed 20days plus speaks volumes about the programme – my dd would bawl if i kept her home for no reason!

munchin
    Participant

sabbi my 2 got extra kisses last night too as i’m sure did many kids accross the country.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Good to hear nice feedback about Bright Horizons – we have always found them to be lovely whenever we have chatted with them. We know the manager in the Drogheda one and she was explaining their approach to childcare to us and all the things they do and it seems excellent. They are a chain which are in the UK and Canada too and have international standards they adhere to – which may be partly why they are so good, as they are reaching higher standards than what is required in Ireland.

It was terrible that Ireland was 18th on the list of best countries for childcare in Europe – that is not a good rating.

I was in the playground with my daughter earlier and all the mammies were talking about it – it has certainly got the country talking today.

Now the big question is, what are the HSE & Government going to do aboutit???

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have found myself thinking about what I saw in primetime all day, i just cant shake the violent images of the poor defenceless kids being thrown about the place out of my head….or the other ones just left strapped in chairs for hours with nothing in front of them for amusement.it just breaks my heart beyond belief that this can happen in our society in Ireland in 2013……I just cant get my head around it.my thoughts are with those families affected by this & I hope they can learn to trust another child care provider.

When I was looking for Haileys crèche among others I went to links & Giraffe & I didn’t get a good vibe out of either of them. I found out later that a friend of a friend worked in one of the Giraffe centres & she said that she wouldn’t put a dog into one of their crèches, she said it was terrible & she quit after a couple of weeks.

In the crèche that Hailey is in they have a whistle blower system that if someone doesn’t like how another member of staff is talking to or dealing with a child, they can tell the manager anonymously & the incident gets investigated.

I hope that what has been uncovered makes changes happen in the very near future to our laws & to the HSE so that our precious children are protected from this ever happening again.

Financial Companion
    Participant

Only just got to see it!

Whatever our views, imagine what it feels like to be a parent of one of the children and recognise the girl treating their child like that? It would take some restraint not to have a serious confrontation. I’d say the main culprit in the Malahide creche is gone into hiding!

mammycool
    Participant

Yes, hell hath no fury like a mother defending her young!!

pookie2

That programme was bad enough, but to add to it, I had to turn off the radio (Radio 1) for most of the next week. Apparently any parent who puts a child in a crèche is a monster, according to one expert after another. We should all stay home…. Chance would be a fine thing. Have these people never heard of a minor thing called money? Would be lovely to give up job & stay home, but I wouldn’t be eligible for any welfare – & I don’t know how my kids would be happier cold, hungry & homeless….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.