potty training

Home Forums National Chat potty training

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

i have a 3 year old girl who will not use the potty or toilet . she was going great there for around 2 weeks then out of the blue it just stopped some decent advice would be great. thanks

Babs

Sorry to hear that…its so disheartening when all seems grand and then the wee-ones decide they not willing to play ball anymore!!! Its a good time of year to be toilet training….if at all possible leave her just in her vest/t-shirt around the house…have the potty on stand by (or the kiddies toilet seat and step in place)….in my experience it is best to have in your head that you are going to try to stay in the house/garden for a about a week (it is worth it)…ask her (casually) every 5-10minutes if she needs to do a wee…when she does, give her claps, hugs etc and if there are accidents, play it down and say she will do it next time in the potty….it sounds silly but I found it really works (have helped many parents toilet train over the years)…I found the biggest thing is not to get stressed and not to make a big thing of it…if you need to go out try to continue the training (asking if she needs the loo etc and have a few changes of clothes just in case)..you may even consider waiting a week or two and starting afresh again…its a tough time but remember that she will do it when she is ready…you don’t see many adults asking for pampers in the shops!!! A reward chart can be helpful when doing this too….and remember that she may master the wee before she masters the number two’s!!!! Best of luck and let us know!!! Hope this is of some help 😀

Taylor5

Just keep at it, my ds was trainned from about 2 & 3/4 but then about the 3 mark he started to wee and poo in his pants everyday, we put it down to a new baby on the way etc… but no just think he was lazy or just him!! Keep giving encouragement and little rewards (I used funsized bars as treats)
    She has been doing her wee in a nappy for 3 years so it will take a bit for the penny to drop
    good luck and your doing great

Taylor5

Oh we used potty time as storytime, I would get his fav book and this worked a treat

mammycool
    Participant

Ha – this was something that I was going to ask about. I am attempting to train my 2 yr + 4 mth boy. Some say that he is too young but he knows exactly when he needs to go and will inform me. We went out and he picked out his own potty – which he then wore on his head, stood in and played with but did not sit on or sat on it until he needed to go and then ran off, wrapped himself in a curtain and peed into that!!!! Anyhow, he refuses to sit on it now! I have left it a few weeks while we were on holidays but am going to retry. I have the book, reward chart, and am not so innocent(actually thought kids sat on the potty when you asked them!!!!)

Babs

😆 😆 😆

Taylor5

😆 😆 😆 😆 Class, your washing machine will do overtime

My nephew would stand in the corner of the living room and do his poo (when in nappies) my sister forgot when she was doing the "potty" she went into the kitchen and came back to find a HUGE dump in the corner 😆 😆 😆 Be warned 🙄

mammycool
    Participant

Yuck – I kinda expect that one – my little fella always goes off somewhere quiet to do his business. Anyhow, put him in his big boy pants today – he will not sit on the potty but have managed to get him to sit on the loo(spent many hours on the loo today!!!!) Did not manage to time the hours with the need though!!! Lots of washing already but telling me immediately when he is wet and did have two dashes to the loo but did not quite make it!!! Fun times ahead!

CC

it took me less than a week and i really put it down to a book that was recommended to me called ‘i want my potty’. its part of the princess series and my daughter just loved it, the story is that the princess thinks nappys are yeach and wants to try the potty but she really really got into it (she’s 2 and a half)

mammycool
    Participant

Well, started on the big boy pants on Wednesday – by Saturday he knew exactly when he needed the potty and had no accidents. This morning he got up with a dry nappy and asked that it be removed because he had to go to the potty. Big boy pants all the way!!! 😀

Babs

Well done!!! Bet he is so proud of himself!!!!

LANA
    Participant

well done thats great.my little man also 2 yrs & 4 mth i was going to wait till he is 3 but after hearing how well your little boy is .i think il start now .

munchin
    Participant

thats brilliant – well done little man
    my dd was 2yr and 4months too – think it really depends on the child – like everything else they will do it when they’re ready

MissyG

i’m training my dd at the mo and not finding it easy at all………… its hard as it is with the accidents on the floor more of those and only the odd one or two on the loo itself. i’m quite restricted to the house and my ds is complaining he’s bored………. argh!!!!!!!!!! 🙁

missyg

MaryE

My ds is just 23 months today and this week, he has started telling me when he has a dirty nappy. "Mammy, Poop, poop". I was shocked when i heard him say it the first time, wasnt sure i’d heard him right but sure enough i had. Then he points to his nappy & says "Dirty".Is this normal?

I had no intention of toilet training him for about another six months but a friend of mine said that i shouldnt leave it for too long as he is now aware of what he is doing, so dont want him to get to use to it or start getting lazy – what do you think?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.