Our lady of Lourdes Hospital – WHAT DO YOU THINK POLL

Home Forums Louth Chat Our lady of Lourdes Hospital – WHAT DO YOU THINK POLL

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    hippychic

Have three friends that were left 10 days over all had emergency sections thought it was a bit odd all 3 had to have sections, and wondered is it related? It could very well not, one of my friends literelly could not push her daughter out and she got stuck had to be knocked out, her husband was terrified he would loose them both during the ordeal. Mum and baby were ok in the end but in an awful state afterwards. Has turned her off ever doing it again.

Do you know if you have a say in how long your left over? And does it effect a natural birth because the baby has obiviously got bigger?

Hippychic

hippychic

Thanks roseylisa

Really impressed how much response Im getting, I know it takes a bit of time doing, let you know results,

Kind regards
    Hippychic

Hi Hippychick – thanks

Well… the Lourdes actually just revised the guidelines based on best practice evidence to go the full 14 days (if mam and baby well) before induction. The research shows a link between induction of labour and increased chance of a c-section – as the baby often does not respond well to the pitocin that they use to start labour.

so this may be why your friend has this theory… most mums would be induced on day 10 in accordance to the old guidelines at OLOL

yummymummy

i was 14 days over due (in 2001) and went on to have a normal 5hour labour 🙂 ust to give you the other side of it.

1) How clean do believe our lady of lourdes hospital is? from 1-10

depends on when you are visiting…can range from a 9 to a 1
    maternity is generally quite good – and the main restrooms
    ER can be disgusting

2) Are our health professionals working to many hours in one shift? yes

3) In your opinion has the hospital got better or worse since the HSE took over? N/A – was never in OLOL before HSE

4) Were you or do you know of anyone allowed to go up to 10 days over their due date and ended up having a section although not planned? Yes – No personal experience but I would know women who have been induced before 14 days that had c-sections – not just at OLOL though.

5) Do you believe the cancer unit should stay at the Lourdes? Yes

6) Do you believe that who ever is running the hospital should live in the surrounding area? Yes

7) Do you believe the Head of Hygiene should come from a medically trained background? NO – its not necessary – the nuns did a good job!

Do you think there is an agenda to close the hospital eventually and open a new and bigger one in Dundalk? not sure about dundalk but there will be a new regional hospital to cater for growing numbers in this region

9) Do you know of anyone who has had a mistake made by the Hospital? Yes

10) Should the law be changed about the number of hours doctors work on a particular shift? I think all medical staff are overworked but the hospital is also incredibly understaffed…. and we just got cut a million for the OLOL budget…not good

11) Do you believe they provide a good service? yes

12) Do you think it would be better for the consultants rooms be moved from the first floor to another floor and invest in making the whole bottom floor into a top class A+E which would serve the this side of the northeast No

13) Do you know of a patient who has contracted a superbug MRSA orC DIFF from OLOL hospital? NO

14) Do you believe are local TDs are doing enough? No

15) Could the local media do more? Yes

16) Did you give birth in the Lourdes? Yes – twice

17) Did you feel you received the right information and support before and during your birth? Yes – much more so than my baby born in Dublin

18) Do you believe there should be a seperate body chosen by local people who are also involved in what happens to the Lourdes? A consumer group??? There is one for maternity! Birth Matters… I am vice chair and Tracy is Chair – get involved girls!

19) Are you upset the Lourdes has lost out on funding because of poor performance? yes – not the way to go about this

20) Do you believe setting targetslike these and taking funding away is the right answer? no – we need more staff not less money

hippychic

Thought there might be a connection thats all,

hippychic

Oh I know Yummy Mummy!!! Not automatic at all 😀
    Well done!!

And you could be right hippychick! We will see if the section rate comes down after the introduction of the new guideline! Very intuative of you! :D

hippychic

Hi jene

I had my son in OLOL and found the girls to be excellent, very helpful, and this part of the hospital is much cleaner than anywhere else. Got all the help I needed during the birth and after thought they were great. Did find the run up to birth the prenatel classes could have been better gave birth in 2204 maybe things have changed now.

Thanks for doing Poll and how do we get involed in the birth matters forum?

Hippychic

Hi Hippychick,

There is actually a meeting next Wed night for Birth Matters at OLOL – 8pm
    Or if you want to get involved you can email Tracy who is chair at
    tracydonegan@doulaireland.com or you can contact me anytime!

If you don’t have time for the actual meetings, the other aspect is the women’s focus groups tracy and I have been running – to get positive aspects of maternity at OLOL, concerns and suggestions

I haven’t actually attended the antenatal classes at OLOL – its a pity you didn’t find them helpful. This would be something to bring up at the meeting though – for sure!

What aspects of it did you think were poor…or what aspects would you like to see improved?

hippychic

I ended up havin the lot as far as pain relief was concerned because I didnt feel I learned enough through the breathing classes, would have had wanted much more time to practise. But thats just my opinion as I say there could have been a lot of changes since then. All of my friends maintain it really helps, one had a home birth and said she would do it all over again said it was great never went near the hospital at all!

Hippychic

libby

——————————————————————————–

1) How clean do believe our lady of lourdes hospital is? 6

3) In your opinion has the hospital got better or worse since the HSE took over? Worse

4) Were you or do you know of anyoneallowed to go up to 10 days over their due date and ended up having a section although not planned? yes

6) Do you believe that who ever is running the hospital should live in the surrounding area? Yes

7) Do you believe the Head of Hygiene should come from a medically trained background? Yes

Do you think there is an agenda to close the hospital eventually and open a new and bigger one in Dundalk? Yes

9) Do you know of anyone who has had a mistake made by the Hospital? No

10) Should the law be changed about the number of hours doctors work on a particular shift? Yes

12) Do you think it would be better for the consultants rooms be moved from the first floor to another floor and invest in making the whole bottom floor into a top class A+E which would serve the this side of the northeast Yes

13) Do you know of a patient who has contracted a superbug MRSA orC DIFF from OLOL hospital? NO

15) Could the local media do more? Yes, but positive things instead of negatitive

16) Did you give birth in the Lourdes? Yes

17) Did you feel you received the right information and support before and during your birth? Yes

1 Do you believe there should be a seperate body chosen by local people who are also involved in what happens to the Lourdes? yes

19) Are you upset the Lourdes has lost out on funding because of poor performance? no

My dad just had an operation in Dundalk and it is no different from the Lourdes… Actually the lourdes would be 100% better…..

hippychic

libby
    thank you for responding, let you know how the poll goes 😀

have a nice weekend

Hippychic

noeleenw

my brother worked in hse in dundalk last summer there was no soap in the toilets for 6 weeks he said it to a manager and lo and behold soap appeared , hand washing is part of trying to keep mrsa at bay

hippychic

Good lord,

Can you see what I mean, its all about edcuation I believe thats all, god if that lot dont do it at work how on earth cud the even begin to understand how a hospital should be run???????????

Hippychic

Bredanna

1) How clean do believe our lady of lourdes hospital is? from 4-10

3) In your opinion has the hospital got better or worse since the HSE took over? /Worse

4) Were you or do you know of anyone allowed to go up to 10 days over their due date and ended up having a section although not planned?yes

7) Do you believe the Head of Hygiene should come from a medically trained background? Yes

8) Do you think there is an agenda to close the hospital eventually and open a new and bigger one in Dundalk? Yes

9) Do you know of anyone who has had a mistake made by the Hospital? Yes

10) Should the law be changed about the number of hours doctors work on a particular shift? Yes

12) Do you think it would be better for the consultants rooms be moved from the first floor to another floor and invest in making the whole bottom floor into a top class A+E which would serve the this side of the northeast Yes

13) Do you know of a patient who has contracted a superbug MRSA orC DIFF from OLOL hospital? Yes

15) Could the local media do more? Yes

16) Did you give birth in the Lourdes? Yes

17) Did you feel you received the right information and support before and during your birth? Yes

18) Do you believe there should be a seperate body chosen by local people who are also involved in what happens to the Lourdes?yes

19) Are you upset the Lourdes has lost out on funding because of poor performance? yes

20) Do you believe setting targets like these and taking funding away is the right answer? no

Thank you for taking part in this if you have, its only for us all to see just how we view how our local hospital is coping now, and would like to add that there are a very dedicated number of people who keep this hospital going. Will let you all know in % terms when poll is taken, might make for some interesting reading, just a thought.

Hippychic

Disclaimer
    This poll is taken as an interest into how we the mums of Drogheda and surrounding area’s feel about our local hospital, and is in no way ment to offend, hurt, slander or discredit the instituation or members of its staff or supporting staff, but give a personal opinion on what we feel from our own personal experience the the hospital has given. And would like to point out that we are entitled to a personal point of veiw!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.