Organ Donors

Home Forums Louth Chat Organ Donors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    cc1234

Hi all,

You may already be aware but Organ Donor Awareness week will take place March 28th – April 4th ’09.

I know the decesion to be a donor is a personal choice & one that only you alone can make but as someone who is awaiting a transplant themself I urge you all to think strongly about it. Carrying one of these cards could make all the difference to the quality of life of someone – child or adult! But I would like to stress that I am not being pushy in this request, I respect everyones decesion, whether it is to be a donor or not so please do not feel that I am trying to bully anyone into becoming a donor!!!

If anyone would like to become a donor, you can either pm me with your address & I can forward you on a card or alternativley Organ Donor Cards can also be obtained by phoning the Irish Kidney Association LoCall 1890 543639 or Freetext the word DONOR to 50050. Visit website http://www.ika.ie

I hope this post does not appear cheeky or pushy, its just I know first hand the importance of these donor cards & have also met numerous other people like me who are desperatly waiting on a transplant.

Thanks for reading

x

newmomma

Dear cc1234,

I agree with you about the importance of carrying a donor card. My beautiful sister passed away 2 years ago while waiting for a heart and lung transplant and no one should have to go through this. I sincerely hope and pray that you will be blessed with a transplant.

Dinomum

cc1234 good on you for posting, it always helps to highlight awareness of these issues.. for a lot of people its something that they mean to do but just forget about so a reminder like this really helps. .i have always carried one and advised my family of my wishes just in case, it’s not nice to think anbout but it is important. Good luck to you

Fabienne

I have a donor card. Two actually, I’m french I have the irish card and also the french one. But there is something I want to do but don’t know how. I’d like to give my body to the science, but where to I get a form.?

scole1

they were talking about it today on the afternoon show, and they said that even if people carry an organ donor card it’s not legally recognised in every situation, as if the person dies and next of kin refuses they cannot take organs, which i think if a person has decided that’s what they want to do should they not respect that wish, the card is signed and obviously well thought through before even considering having such a card….
    they said to make sure that you have spoken to your next of kin regards organ donation so when the time comes they can say yes it’s something that you had wished be done….
    i will have to mention to my hubby if anything god forbid where too happen and my organs are viable to donate, sure what will i need them for if i’m dead, someone like cc1234 could benefit from them….

CC1234 i hope you find a donor and thank you for highlighting the subject…..

i know people say they don’t want to be cut open etc etc, but your dead you don’t feel it, you either rot in a ground or burn in an oven so why take organs that are no good for you with you when you could save lives and give others the chance of happiness and health….sorry if that sounds harsh but it’s reality….

Taylor5

I’ve carried a donor card for years, my father got two cornia grafts so I know what a waiting game it is for organs

I told my dh if I die they can have any part of my body they want, think the laws should be changed

super minder

i have one and my son and i also put it in my will whats to be done to me when i die. which is a long way away . please god xxx

cc1234

Hi all,

Great to hear about so many people being donors!! I’ve been a donor myself for years but have only recently been put on a transplant list so it just goes to show that we never know when any oneof us may benefit from organ donors.

A big thanks to all for all the well wishes!

Spud
    x

Kate

There is a doner bit on the back of your drivers licence too. DH pointed it out to me last week, its just a tick box.

sunshineorla

My family donated my Dad’s organs when he was pronounced brain dead after a haemorrage 5 years ago. The Loudres and the transplant co-ordinator made it all very very easy for us and we knew straight away it was what my dad would have wanted. There is only about 80 people a year that can donate their organs , you have to die in a specific way but it takes a bad situation and brings something posititve to it. We received a letter throught the transplant co-ordinator from a recipient and they told us how much it meant receiving the organ and how their life was changed. It was great to be able to hear about it and it made it seem more real. It’s not just the donors life that changes but all their families and friends around them. It’s such a worthwhile thing to be able to do. Even if you dont carry the card discuss it with your nearest and dearest, it is actually their decision because they have to sign the consent forms so let them know what you’re wishes are. It’ll make it a lot easier for them if they are ever faced with the decision.
    Peace and Blessings.

cc1234

Hi all,

Just wanted to say a BIG BIG thank you to everyone for all your well wishes & to let you know that I received my gift of life.

I got my call for the transplant last Wed night/Thurs morning & I’ve now had my transplant..still cant believe it though, still in shock, doing well so fingers crossed its stays that way.

It just goes to show the importance of organ donation, I got the pancreas & I met 2 other people, about my own age too who both got a kidney each from the same donor as me, thats 3 lives from one life & thats 3 gifts of life at a minimum coz theres still the heart, lungs, liver, eyes. It really is the gift of life so girls….keep carrying those cards!!

Ciara

newmomma

So happy for you, thats such fantastic news. Hope everything is going well for you now 😀

rossylisa

That is great news 😀

i have a card afew years now . dh picked one up there last week to sign

Taylor5

I know a girl who’s dh got a kidney transplant a few years ago and each year there is a mass in Dublin for the families of people who both give and get transplants…… would you believe her MIL was talking to a woman whos 19 daughter died (now there were 100’s of people at this mass) and it turned out that her son got his kidney from this womans daughter….. spooky or what!?
    The woman was delighted to hear that things went so well and it gave her great peace

sunshineorla

Congrats on getting your transplant. It’s brilliant you are doing so well. The organ donation mass is on every October up near Drumcondra/ White chapel. Its a really special occasion with lots of candles, speakers, roll books of the donors, food afterwards. A donor family doesnt usually get invited the first year of their loss but then every year after that. Not sure how it goes for the recipients. Its worth going to. You cant help but look around to see who your donor / recipient family might be. If you did get to meet them then it truely is the angels at work 😉 there is a very large crowd there. You’ll probably receive an invite in the post well in advance.
    Might see you there. X

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.