Older mum

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    adomsa

Hi guys,
    if just discovered im pregnant with my third child and really delighted.I had my two children privately in OLOL and would really like to try the MLU this time.I have done some research and believe I would qualify as I didnt have any complications previously apart fom having to be induced.As I am now 37, however, I would like to have the Nuchal Fold test and wonder how I would go about this.
    Would love to hear from anyone out there with any experience of any of this.thks

mommycakes

Hi Adomsa
    I had my 2nd child in Feb at 42yrs. Was absolutely delighted but very worried when I first discovered that I was pregnant – unnecessarily worried as it turned out, my little man is perfect! Anyway I was also private in OLOL and had the nuchal scan in the Rotunda at 12 weeks. My consultant sent a referral letter, you can just bring one along with you and I made the appointment with the early pregancy screening dept myself. It cost 250 and was worth every penny the staff in the Rotunda were great, very supportive and understanding of how worried I was. It didn’t take long, just like an normal ultrasound and a blood test and I had results the following morning. Hope that helps

mammycool
    Participant

37 is not that old!!!!!!! It does feel it thoughwhen you have to get up in the middle of the night!!!

noeleenw

my neighbour was 47 last year when she had babs no 4 😯

munchin
    Participant

i hear you mammycool –
    i just had my 2nd babs and am 38 this year – I was private in olol and was never offered a nuchal fold test – i did think about it and even spoke about it with dh but we opted not to do it.
    Good luck with pregnancy and Congratulations

mammycool
    Participant

Poor Muchin – are you getting sleep yet???

I do not think it is a standard to be offered in any of the Irish hospitals. I am 37 and did ask my consultant about the chances of Down Syndrome with this pregnancy – as they do say that over 35’s are higher risk. (I had dd in March – no probs). She told me that the risk between my last pregnancy at 34 /34 and this one at 36 /37 had not actually changed much. 1 in 250 now 1 in 200. There are DS babies born to young mothers too.

My friend gave birth to a baby girl 3 weeks ago. At her 22 week scan, she was told that there was a problem with the babies kidney. She had to have another scan at about 34 weeks. In between, she convinced herself that the baby must be a down syndrome baby. She spent her whole pregnancy worrying about this. Baby does have a kidney problem which will be operated on in a month or so but other than that is perfectly healthy.

What I am trying to say is that getting these tests may make you worry more when you are trying to relax and enjoy your pregnancy. They are not definitive – they are just an indication that there is a possibility.

munchin
    Participant

No poor me at all mammycool – Eve doing great, she’s going to bed after 7pm feed, then dream feed at 10.30ish and then she’ll sleep until between 5-6am which i’m quite happy with (for now 😆 😆 )
    Gas i was 35 day before my dd1 was born and 37 when I had Eve, similar age to you – i didn’t ask my consultant about the nuchal fold etc as you say if there had of been a problem i would have spent the pregnancy stressing etc
    How you getting on with your 2? how are you finding older child? dd1 is great with the babs (most of time) she was insisting on giving her the bottle last night and tries to play games with, heard her telling baby last night to "listen to my words"

opaljh

haha 37 ❓ thats not old at all ! I have twin brothers who will be 2 in october , my own kids are older (5&2) than there uncles mam & dad were 49 when the arrived! 😳 😳 😳 😳 😆 😆 😆

mammycool
    Participant

49 – reckon I will be keeping up the contraception for a few more years than I thought !!!!

Munchin – doing grand. It is a bit of an adjustment going from 1 to 2 but you adjust fast. Eve is a lovely name – I did get asked if I would call a girl that seeing as I have Adam. Mostly he has no interest in her but she is getting more active, so he is getting more interested.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.