no more gummy smiles!

Home Forums Pregnancy, Mums2Be, Birth, New Parents no more gummy smiles!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    newgirl

my little girl has started cutting her first tooth, just wondering can anyone tell me how long it normally takes for the full tooth to show itself? i can just see the top of it that has broken through the gum. also shes really grumpy with the pain, giving her everything i can and just using calpol as a last resort for bedtime. is it ok to give one spoon of calpol a day over a longer time period? dosage says every 4 hours and see doc after 3 days but i can imagine she will be at this teething business for quite a while and she doesn’t need it every four hours as she gets bongela or teetha or cooling ring in between. any advice would be appreciated.
    thanks in advance.

aisling.

pinkbabe

U can give calpol the whole time they are teething once u are not giving it every 4 hours or more than once or twice a day but if u over use it ur baby will become imune. I would recommend alternating between neurofen, baby panadol & teedex if possible

Taylor5

I would use bonjella and teetha every few hours.
    Id give calpol ever 6 hours or so if needed, some days are worse then others. I would often give calpol when ds would wake then again at bedtime. I wouldnt use teedex on a baby so young, as there is a sedative in it, I wouldnt recommed this until at least over 1 year old …
    My ds loved chewing on a leather belt and my leather keyring, he loved it and it helped the tooth break so easy. My ds his first tooth took about 2 weeks to really show, but once one came it was non stop for then next year 🙄 😆
    Oh frozen slices of banana went down a treat here (God how easily you forget these things)

newgirl

thanks for all the tips girls. i might try as you suggested and alternate between calpol and something else. i didn’t even think about her becomming imune to it. god then i’d really be in trouble. sometimes i’m not really sure what to give her and when. i’m such a newby at this whole mother thing! we had injections today aswell so she’s really had a day of it and i’m sure its not over yet. the poor thing.

taylor, do you know if there’s a sedative in dozol? i don’t want to be giving her anything too strong.
    so i’m off to buy a leather keyring……………
    thanks again.

rossylisa

the dozol knocks them out i gave my dd this and she was really cranky the next day i stuck to the teedex and bonjella also get her a lil teething ring that goes in the frezzer she will be able to chew on this and the ice will numb the gumbs

newgirl

thanks, i think i’ll stay away from the dozol. that was my gut instinct. i bought it but never actually used it. it was another day of fun today, the poor little thing is so out of sorts and her mammy has a viral chest infection now and will probably give her that aswell. how do i not give her colds/flu etc that i pick up? its the first time i’ve been really sick since i had her. i feel guilty about giving stuff like that to her already and i haven’t even done it yet. the joys of motherhood!

Taylor5

I would stay well away from teedex and dozol cause of the seditives in them, just think they are dangerious to use on young babies. You could bring it back to the chemist and tell them you got the wrong thing.

As for colds/infections wash hands regular and dont share spoons/cups or soothers etc… I dont know if you can give junior Echinacea that young! But is worth checking out

pinkbabe

L got a chest infection with every tooth dunno whether it was coincidence or not 😕

newgirl

thanks for the advice girls. there’s so much hand washing going on in my house i’m beginning to think i’ve got ocd!! i’ve even bought some of that vicks first defense hand rub, helps combat passing colds on etc. hope it does the trick.

i really hope the teething doesn’t get too much worse. my dd seems to be a bit of a wussy about her teeth, just like her mammy! do you think the first few are worse by any chance?

pinkbabe

1st couple & the last couple were the worst for my 2

rossylisa

the first 4 always nearly come together than they get a new one every so often until you forget the dates 😆 😆 i have a baby book of my dd and there is a tooth section in it and i think i stoped at 16 😆

Taylor5

The first 4 were bad, but the last 4 were a nightmare 😯 But thatsnot for a while yet 😆 😆 😆 😆
    Hope your cold is shifting, I have a rotten chesty cough and its killing me, my energy is zapped 😥 😥 😥 😥
    Just hope ds doesnt get it or even worse dh might get it ❗ 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

newgirl

thanks for that. i thought that the first few teeth might be worse alright. my cold is easing a little but everyone else in the house seems to have it now, but at least i tried to keep it to myself! so its back to saline drops, karvol, & steam for dd and maybe something a little stronger for dh! swings & roundabouts eh!
    i too have no energy! couldn’t face much today. i’m pretty wrecked now, decided to wait up to do dd’s early night feed! we have absolutely no routine in this house! i’m so exhausted. i really thought that she’d sleep through the night at this stage. (4 months) anyone got any thoughts or advice? i think shes just too hungry. she didn’t like the heavier food, wont take water, i just don’t know. wondering will i ever get a proper nights sleep again. ok rant over.
    off to feed……

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.