Neighbours Dog -Need a Fence.

Home Forums Louth Chat Neighbours Dog -Need a Fence.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    pollytartt

Hi all, I was just wondering if any of you knew someone who would put a fence up in my garden. I just want a simple picket style sort of thing to keep the neighbours dog out of my garden.
    Secondly, do any of you have some advice for me as i am very annoyed at having to fork out for this fence just before christmas.
    We moved into our house last year nd the said neighbour-elderly man with sick wife- has been lovely.
    But he has got this little aggressive terrier which goes barking mad evertime we set foot in the garden. I am terrifed for my two little kids. He just says tell it to Shoo but I hate having to be super vigilent all the time.
    The existing fence is too small and has many holes.
    I feel that it is his responsibility to control his animal but then I do not want to fall out with my neighbour. Any thoughts.
    Thanks, Polly. :cry:

Anonymous
    Inactive

I remember when we were children our neighbours had a dog, a placid thing, but my mam was terrified and I mean terrified of any dog. She hated hanging out her washing even. But the neighbours agreed to a wall being built and went half on the cost.
    We have a little dog ourselves and I would definately think its our responsibility to ensure she is not in other people’s back gardens. Maybe approach your neighbour about going half on the cost, its a normal thing to do when putting up walls, fences etc. Tell him your worried about the children with the dog and you might be pleasantly suprised. I don’t think your asking too much.

missysmum

hiya, i would definitely approach the neighbour and explain and ask them to contribute half of the costs. While it is his responsibility to control his dog it is yours to protect your children and you really sound very uncomfortable with the situation and you shouldn’t feel like that in your own home and garden. i’m a great believer of giving people the benefit of the doubt. if its explained clearly to him the extent of the effect it is having on you he may well appreciate it and come good. there are ways of broaching subjects like this and its important that you start off on the right foot and thread carefully, even though this problem is not of your making. i would talk to him about it first, then get a quote for services and let him review it. i would even invite him to also get a quote if he wanted to help reassure him that costs are acurate and get him more involved in the process so he doesnt feel dictated to. my experience with some older people has taught me that they like to retain their independece most of the time and feel involved in decisions too. i remember in the last house we lived in there was what turned into a major dispute over a dog constantly barking and getting out onto the road, a letter was sent from one neighbour to another and it all went downhill from there. there was such bad feeling between the neighbours, and it became very awkward for all concerned. they dont even talk now, imagine how awkward that would be? i would hate that.
    Also i wouldn’t be afraid to ask him to take the dog in for an hour or so if you know you are going to do garden activites with your little ones at a specific time.
    anyway, i really hope you get the outcome you want and are enjoying your garden soon.
    HTH.

Taylor5

Why dont you get a radio fence, you know the white tape yokes that you plug and the dogs wont cross it….. not 100% sure if dog has to have collar, would be cheaper then a wooden fence

Anonymous
    Inactive

as far as I know dog does have to have a collar for that

Babs

You don’t need a fence, you need a gun!! 😆 😆 Hate other people’s pets!!!! That and other people’s children!! 😯

Taylor5

You don’t need a fence, you need a gun!! 😆 😆 Hate other people’s pets!!!! That and other people’s children!! 😯

Okay after reading this my child is never ever going to your house on a playdate again 🙄 😆 😆 😆

What about a roll of chicken wire and patch the holes….

Taylor5

Oh just remembered we have a few spare fence panels out in the garden, I think we have two maybe three its dh’s department. I’ll ask him later and post tomorrow, if they are going free to a good home do you want them? You would have to collect them yourself….

Taylor5

Yeah asked dh, he said we have 2 and a half fence panels out in the Garden going spare, you are very welcome to them. There wouldnt be enough to replace your fence but maybe enough to do a patch job for the winter…… wouldnt want you going out with a gun 😯 :lol:😆 –> <!– s:lol::lol: Well not for a Dog but a Cat is okay 😆 😆 😆

noeleenw

i have a major rant over other peoples dogs … had major trouble with dogs chasing my cows last year , people dont realise the trouble they cause – like cows loosing their calves after them being chased and stress on the animal… if you own a dog please keep it under control .. we alerted our neighbours to the problems with their dog and told the dog warden – in this case the owners where going to work at 7.30 am and not coming back til 8 at night and dogs could do what they liked all day the owner actually laughed in my face and said sure the dogs are having fun 😈 got the guards involved but we shouldnt have had to go to these measures at all

Taylor5

I remember when I was a child seeing a local farmer sitting in the ditch crying (think the first time I’d seen a grown man cry) it was his sheep, some dogs chased the sheep, they didnt hurt the sheep but it was lambing season and most of the mammies lost their lambs due to the stress, I think some of the mammies died too after giving birth in the field alone or heartattacks…..
    My dad thought it was one of our dogs, he was soooo gentle but dad started to watch him and himself a few other neighbours dogs would stray off at night…. dad sent the dog to the Dog pound, he just said we cant have that dog near livestock….. that was life I guess.
    So even the sweetest of dogs once in a pack, they almost revert to wild dogs…. thats why I never trusta dog (even thought I love her to bits, dont trust her at all)

pollytartt

Thanks Everyone! Thanks for the offer Taylor, that is very kind. But I think the existing fence is such a patch up job to put another couple of panels along it might cause the whole ediface to collapse! Dp is keen to get some spiky plants and plug the holes and grow into the rest of the greenery. I will look into that radio barrier too.

I think we might appproach him and talk about the situation because he really is a nice man. Although he wasn’t sitting behind the fence 😳 when he phoned the dog warden about another neightbours dog!

We would need to properly fence in our children eventually for satefy reasons. I don’t want them climbing into the other gardens. I just wish people would take responsibility for their creatures, we have a stray cat that just loves our garden for its litter tray. Grrr! I am going to try buckets of nice cold water!

Still, if anyone knows anyone who is looking for some work after christmas and can do me a good price on a fence, let me know.
    Polly xx

Babs

We got lovely fensing in that place in Drogheda…beside the EBay shop…opposite Fusion Niteclub…it was expensive but worth it..they come and fit it for you too…I think people should only get a dog if they are at home to care for it…the amount of people who get a dog and then bugger off from 8am-6pm…leaving the dog barking/crying and ANNOYING everyone else…I know thats not what this post is about but I just needed to rant!!! I love dogs and would get one if we had a bigger garden…thats probably why it annoys me so much to see dogs being bought by people who don’t care properly for them!!!! And then leaving them outside to bark all night…don’t get me started!!!! 👿 👿 👿

Taylor5

No problem at all, I’d say talk to him he might not know the dog can get into your garden.

I have a diy job to sort the cats out 😉 PM me if you want it 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.