NB for Parents of 7 yr olds upwards

Home Forums Education NB for Parents of 7 yr olds upwards

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Martina
    Participant

I am on the Parents Committee of a Secondary School in Dundalk. I have just been contacted by a SECOND couple from my local National School who’s children have not secured a place for Secondary School this September in Dundalk.

Dundalk’s Secondary Schools were expected to hit saturation of numbers by 2013, this has become a reality this year.

If your children are in First Class or aged 7, now is the time to consider where they are going to go for Secondary School and enrole them. Avoid the heart-ache of not being able to send your children to the school of your choice.

Anonymous
    Inactive

out of curiosity do they have a policy of how they offer places to children eg.within the catchment areas first, brothers/sisters of a child already in the school, age. I wasn’t aware you could enrol a child for secondary school and be guaranteed a place so many years in advance. I thought it was based more on catchment areas? Maybe its different in different schools?

I personally think there needs to be a system like the CAO system which would stop parents applying to multiple secondary schools, trying to secure the best one. Schools get x amount of applications but this doesn’t give them any real idea how many are actually trying to secure a definate place there. Its only on the day of the entrance exam when they are all held on the same day that schools get a good idea of real numbers.

hjs

I am googling independent schools in Louth and getting nowhere. I know Drogheda Grammar and Dundalk Grammar – anywhere else?

Any north Dublin? Lookin girl, prefer single sex but will take mixed…

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/mainppireland.pdf

Some info, from 2008 but gives a general idea. Fee paying schools are in bold black. These are the top 400 schools ranked by the proportion of pupils gaining places in autumn 2008 at one of the nine universities on the island of Ireland,main teacher training colleges, Royal College of Surgeons, National College of Art and Design or any English,Welsh or Scottish university.

(all girls-public)Sacred Heart, Drogheda, rank 138
    (all girls-public) Our Lady’s College Greenhills, Drogheda, rank 188
    (mixed-fee paying)Dundalk Grammar, rank 239
    (mixed-fee paying)Drogheda Grammar,rank 319,

rossylisa

Any Drogheda mammy’s or Yummy you might know do i have to put DDs name down for secondry for Greenhills or is ballmakenny a feeder school for that ❓ She is in 3rd class now,

Maria30

Rossylisa,

As far as I know Ballymakenny is a feeder school for Greenhills but just ring either school to make sure.

Congress Ave school is a feeder for St Marys Secondary school

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ballymakenny is a feeder school. Then they go to schools which are in the catchment area eg. Termonfeckin, Clogherhead etc. Far as I know all the girls from Ballymakenny get in then feeder schools applicants but if numbers exceed places then things like having a sister in the school already, age etc. are used to decide from the catchment school applicants.

Important thing is to make sure you have your application in (girls should get it home from their school) and make sure when you are offered a place that you accept it on time.

rossylisa

Thanks very much for that 😀

munchin
    Participant

actually does anyone know what secondary schools duleek is in the catchment area for????????

Greenhills was one of the schools suggested BUT they don’t take names and Duleek is not in the catchment area. I rang the school and lady was very nice but explained that the moment they hold an open day every 2 years which you should aim to attend if child is in 5/6th class and get a registration pack then.

libby1
    Participant

Congress Ave school is a feeder for St Marys Secondary school

Be carefull
    My son is in 6th and two of his classmates didn’t get it, need names down too

My dd’s name is down for sacred Heart since she was 3..

Maria30

Libby,

When I spoke to the secretary(sp) in Congress she told me it was a feeder school to the secondary school and at the open night we were told the same. Maybe there are other issues behind those lads not getting in.

Munchin,

As far as I know most secondary schools dont take names apart from Scared Heart. The rest of them do open nights and you fill in application forms and they let you know then in the January if you get a place.

libby1
    Participant

Libby,

When I spoke to the secretary(sp) in Congress she told me it was a feeder school to the secondary school and at the open night we were told the same. Maybe there are other issues behind those lads not getting in.

Just telling this is what i heard form other parents and students.. I was at open night too.
    When i filled out enrolement form for school the secterary ( St Marys DS) told me that they was a long waiting list.. and to wait till i got a letter to confirm a place..

On another note my nephew goes to irish school at Sundays gate and lives very close to St. Josephs Secondary School, he didn’t get in there..

Maria30

Libby,

I m not doubting you at all. I was just sharing my experience, thats all.

munchin
    Participant

Maria i was wondering more what schools is duleek in catchement area form – cause so far schools i’ve rang say duleek isn’t in their cathement area? I can’t find out how to find out which schools we should be looking at 🙄
    tell you no-one tells any of this when you’re planning a baby 😆 😆

Maria30

Munchin,

I know girls from Duleek that went to secondary school in Navan and in Drogheda.

I went to St Olivers and there was definitely pupils from Duleek. I m surprised Duleek wouldnt be in Greenhills catchment area considering Drogheda is its nearest town.

Maybe contact the primary school and they might have the info your looking for.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.