My battle with PND

Home Forums Introduce Yourself My battle with PND

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello to all the mums, hardest job in the world may I add, but very rewarding :D :D :D I am a mum of 3, my eldest is 14 (Kelsey) and my Twins Oisin and Lucy are 2 and 8 months, I cant belive I have missed out on this site, I would have found it extremley helpful over the last few years :D :D :D I started to develop PND when the twins were 6 weeks or so, gradually it esculated over time before I seeked help, I was unsure of the symptons, as i havent seen one leaflet with symptons on it.. I felt tearful most of the time, I had no enjoyment in anything I done, I had a huge feeling of guilt that i was not the good mother that i had thought I had to be loving, patient, doing everything on my own, getting it right etc etc I was incapable of taking care of myself let alone my kids I was so consumed in depression, some days I could not get out of my bed, i couldnt shower or dress myself, I felt like such a failure, I had reoccuring thoughts of suicide and I was also hospitilized for a couple of months. It has been a long hard battle for me. But I am doing great these last few months. I have also set up a support group in my area (newbridge) at the moment there are no members as the stigma attached to depression still remains and mums are afraid to speak out, I recently done an article with the lovely siobhain speaking openly about my PND and will be appearing on the morning show in a few weeks to speak about it too, Im really hoping this will help other mums. I really feel there is much needed support, help and awareness for mums suffering with this terrible illness. Please feel free to comment..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Twinys,
    Just reading your post there and it brought me back to when I suffered the most horrific PND. I got it after I had my second son in 2006 although I didn’t get treatment till late 2007 and continued to take anti-depressents til March 2008. I don’t think they were the answer really looking back, actuall I know they wren’t cos I swallowed a pack of them one night after copius amounts of wine and had to be taken to A&E. Not something I would recommend. Although i suppose it didn’t help having a partner who was a useless u know what and had more time for every other member of the female race apart from me if you get my drift.. So after being violently ill, which albeit was better i suppose than getting my stomach pumped, the hospital sent me to see a physciatrist in Ardee mental hospital (prob wrong way of putting it) through them I met up with a support group and thankfully I realised iwasn’t the only mum who went through things like this. thankfully five years on and another child too thing have greatly improved. Partner copped on to himself and realised what a complet and utter gobshite he had been, (he’s now my husband)… It’s good to talk get it out and off your chest.. People will listen and friends don’t mind if you cry, scream, shout whatever… talk to people.. Don’t bottle it up like I did..

Jedt
    Keymaster

Very brave posts girls – thanks for sharing.

PND is more common that alot of people think and it can be awful for the person going through it and the people who love them.

I had a touch of it on my first child but it was not too bad. I had alot of weepy days and feelings that I was a bad mother and felt that I had not connected well with my baby.I spoke with my GP a few times and he was great but it was not a severe case and I got through it with support from my husband and family and avoided the medication.

Thanks for sharing what you went through, I am sure this will help some woman who may now be struggling and reads this and knows she is not the only one to feel this way.

Glad you both doing well now.

Bookwitch

Well done for sharing twinnys PND is much more commom than many people realise and I think there is added stigma because the sufferer thinks it should be the happiest time of their life because they have a lovely new baby. I also suffered after all of my babies I have three and it takes time and patience and help from family and friends. We mammies need to support and help each other as much as we can x

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well done on setting up a group as there is a real lack of support out there,im sure in time you will have members & it will be a great support to the many women that suffer with PND,i wish you every success.

pookie2

You’re not the only one by any means. I had it too – not as severe, maybe – but was well over a year before I came out the oute side. There is a support group based in Cork & they are bril. Google them if need help. They can put you in contact with others in your area

ajordan

Yes have also been there, thankfully I am now facing my last month on medication after nearly one year.
    For me it was very odd, I did have weepy moments, but only at the start, (felt that was normal, I mean who doesn’t cry in the wake of a colicky, won’t sleep, newborn!! 😀 )
    However when DS got to four months, was sleeping through and life was starting to settle, I literally stopped sleeping! I had an awful fear DS was due to wake to start the non stop crying we had had in the first couple of months. I actually likened it to post traumatic stress. The lack of sleep soon took its toll as coping mechanisms fell apart and hence the crippling anxiety and crying took over.
    I did everything to avoid PND in the beginning: joined the gym, went walking, joined parent groups, however as it turned out instead of ‘preventing’ I was compounding the inevitable and was in fact a ticking time bomb……yes I literally exploded……..

Please, please, please, seek the help, take the help and get on with living your life and loving your family…..it will make you so much stronger…..

Jedt
    Keymaster

The more women ask for help and speak out, the less taboo there will be about it. Thanks to all the girls for sharing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.