Mumstown Weight Loss Recipes

Home Forums Exercise, Nutrition, Health Issues & illness Mumstown Weight Loss Recipes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey all,

So we thought we’d pop up another topic with recipes and food ideas to give us all a little bit of inspiration for our weight loss goals! Lets start with Breakfast ideas!!!

Breakfasts:
    Porridge – This is such a great breakfast, it fills you up, give you lots of energy and is low in sugar/salt/fat. I make mine with low fat milk, a sprinkle of salt and little squeeze of honey or maple syrup. You can also add seeds, fruit to it for extra flavour. This is my preferred weekday breakfast when I am pushed for time in the mornings because its easy to make, warms me up and keeps me full for hours.

Scrambled Eggs on Toast:
    Crack two eggs into a bowl and whisk with pinch of salt & pepper and a dollop of low fat milk (add teaspoon natural yoghurt too, optional). Scramble in a small pot and serve with 2 slices of wholemeal toast. And go easy on the butter!!

French Toast:
    Whisk 2 eggs with a dollop of natural yoghurt and pinch of nutmeg. Dip 2 slices of wholemeal bread into the egg mix and put on a pan, sprayed with Olive Oil, and gently brown on either side. Serve with some berries or natural yoghurt with a little honey.

Oat pancakes:

These are so delicious. I’ve switched regular flour based pancakes for these and I love them. Put 50g oats, 30ml low fat milk, 2 bananas and 2 eggs into a belnder and mix until smooth. Pour onto a pan sprayed with Fry Light olive oil and cook until golden brown. Turn over and cook on other side until golden brown. Drizzle natural yoghurt over them and top with some fresh berries and a small drizzle of maple syrup. (If you want to add some flavour to the natural yoghurt you can squeeze an orange into it. It adds a lovely sweet, orange flavour)

Healthy Fry-up:
    Grill 2 pieces of bacon (turkey bacon if you want to be super healthy) and a tomato cut into quarters. Slice some mushrooms fry in a little Fry Light. Poach 2 eggs and serve altogether with toasted wholemeal bread. The grilled tomato is a great way to save yourself from wanting ketchup on the side!

Muesli:

Muesli can be so boring but Kelkin has a gorgeous one with Red Berries and the berries add enough sweetness that you do not need to add honey or anything to it. This is a great breakfast if you are in a hurry in the mornings. Pour into a bowl add some cold low fat milk and its ready to eat!

(Muesli and Porridge are brilliant alternatives to sugary cereals. Even plain cereals like Corn Flakes and Rice Krispies have loads of sugar and salt in them. )

Omelette:
    Add whatever you like! Its so easy. Whisk up 2 eggs with a dollop of low fat milk and pinch of salt & pepper. Then add your favourite ingredients. I usually add mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and a little sprinkle of cheese for flavour. You can add ham, peppers – whatever you fancy really! (Omelettes also make a great lunch option!)

If you have a healthy breakfastidea, please share with us! We all need to help each other along and it great to share tips and ideas!

gted87

Overnight oats are good. Oats.muller light and some berries. Frozen berries work better as juices seep down into the oats personally I don’t like them mixed night before but some people do.

happymumblemum
    Participant

Great ideas there ! I found the last time I tried to loose weight breakfast was the key to not having mid morning slumps.
    I just got lazy again and started skipping it… Then choosing badly all morning.

munchin
    Participant

yes breakfast is key – i’ve been very slack on breakfasts lately and think i’ve spent rest of day picking because of it. Will start bringing my porridge with me of a morning – i make mine on water with raisins and banana to taste.

Love the sounds of the oat pancakes – think i’ll try them next weekend

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had the oat pancakes yesterday morning and they are really filling. I was full for hours afterwards.

I went for a walk in the mad wind and came back with a very red face and windswept head but happy I got out for a walk.

Next up, some lunch ideas!!
    Omelette is a great lunch, very filling and you can make it with whatever veg you like to suit your own taste.

Tomato, mushroom, onion & cheese omelette:
    Crack 2 eggs in a bowl, add a dollop of low fat milk and natural yoghurt. Whisk together and add a pinch of salt & pepper. Chop the tomatoes and add to the egg mix. Add a small amount of cheese (a tablespoon). Gently fry the onion and mushroom on a pan with fry light. Once browning, pour the egg mix over. Cook on a medium heat for 5 mins and then pop under the grill to finish off.

Tuna Wrap:
    Chop up half a red onion in to small pieces. Drain half a small can of sweetcorn. Put the red onion, sweetcorn, tin of tuna and teaspoon of mayo into a bowl and mix together. Spread the mix onto a low fat (wholegrain) wrap and fold up. Pop under the grill on a low heat for 5 mins, until starting to brown. Turn over to other side and allow to brown slightly.

Toastie:
    Lightly butter 2 slices of bread. Add one slice of ham, some slices tomato, sliced onion and sprinkle a little grated cheese. Grill each side until golden brown.

Beans on toast:
    Go for wholemeal or wholegrain bread (opt for thinner slice rather than say, batch loaf!) Toast the bread and lightly butter and pour heated beans over. This is great on a cold day with a cup of tea.

Slimming soup:
    Chop carrots, leek, potatoes (or whatever veg you prefer) into cubes. Cook in vegetable stock for 20 mins until soft. Sprinkle on some salt & pepper. Pop into a blender and whizz until smooth. Add some natural yoghurt and herbs on top (optional). This soup will last in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for a month. Its a great one to have ready made for busy days.

Chicken salad:

Chop some chicken onto the pan and fry in fry light. Add some seasoning e.g. salt, pepper, paprika, chilli. Chop some lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions andscallions and pop into a bowl. Make a dressing with one tablespoon balsamic vinegar, one teaspoon wholegrain mustard and a drizzle of honey. Mix the dressing together and pour over the salad. Top with the warmed chicken, add a few croutons and enjoy!

If you have some healthy lunch ideas, please share!!

Denise91
    Participant

I eat the porridge, oat pancakes and french toast quite a lot, especially before training. They give me loads of energy.

Make sure to drink loads of water too. And instead of buying low fat products, go for full fat Yoghurt etc because its actually better for you and has less sugar.

Natural Yoghurt is better than creme fraiche, so opt for that instead if you are putting it on soups or making a dressing with it.

HTH

Jedt

Here are some healthy dinner recipes and please feel free to add your healthy options too. Lets all help each other out gals!

Healthy Lasagna:
    1 Pound Lean mince
    1 red pepper (washed and chopped into small pieces)
    1 small pack button mushrooms (washed and sliced)
    I large onion (diced)
    3 cloves garlic (diced or sliced)
    1 courgette (cut into thin slices)
    1 tin tomatoes
    1 carton passata
    1 pack lasagna sheets (wholemeal if you can)
    I carton natural yoghurt (full fat)
    Pack of grated cheese
    Brown a pound of mince in a pot with some fry light. As the mince browns, drain off some of the juice (this is the fat). Add some chopped garlic, onions, mushrooms, courgette and peppers to the mince meat. Add salt, pepper and dash of soy sauce. Cook for a few mins untilthe veg start to go a little soft and then toss in the tin of tomatoes and the carton of passata. Stir for a few mins and add some seasoning as per your own preference (I usually add some spicy chicken seasoning and chilli powder).
    Layer some lasagna sheets on the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Pour some of the meat and veg mix over the sheets. Cover the meat & veg mix another layer of sheets and spead some of the natural yoghurt across the pasta sheets. Repeat this until you have 4 layers of meat & veg with pasta sheets on top of each layer. Once you have compiled your lasagna, sprinkle some cheese on top. Cover with tinfoil and pop in the oven for 45 mins on a heat of 170. When its been in for 40 mins, take off the tin foil and allow to finish cooking for 5 mins.

Jedt

Fat Free fish & chips!
    Piece of white fish (such as cod or hake)
    Wholemeal breadcrumbs
    Potatoes
    Salt & Pepper
    Lime
    Egg
    Flour
    Frozen peas

Peel and chop the potatoes into chip shapes and put in cold water until ready to be cooked.

Put some flour into one bowl. Put a whisked egg into another bowl. And put the brown breadcrumbs, salt and pepper into a third bowl.

Dip the fish into the flour first, then into the egg and then finally, into the breadcrumbs. Coat the fish fully and then squeeze the juice of the lime over the coated fish.

Parboil the chipped potatoes for 5 mins. Drain fully and spray with fry light cooking oil and put on a non stick baking tray. Pop the fish and chips in to the oven and cook for 20 mins at 180.

Meanwhile, add boiling water to the peas, bring to the boil and then simmer for 5-6 mins.

Serve the fish, chips and peas together with some vinegar on the side for your chips. The lime comes through nicely on the fish and this is a really healthy and light dinner that fills you up nicely.

Jedt

Chicken Stir Fry
    Chicken Fillets (cut into chunks)
    Lone stemmed broccoli
    Carrots (peeled into long curly strips)
    Onion (diced)
    Pepper (sliced and chopped)
    Mushrooms (sliced)
    Courgette (sliced into rings)
    Soy sauce
    Wholegrain mustard
    Honey
    Noodles or brown rice

Fry the chicken with some salt, pepper, chilli powder and soy sauce. Add the vegetable and cook for a further 10 mins, adding some more soy sauce as it cooks and also, a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard and a drizzle of honey.

Cooks the rice or noodles while the chicken and veg simmers.

Put the rice or noodles onto a plate and top with the chicken & veg mix.

This is such a quick and easy dinner and even our children love this one!

chazb

NO FLOUR, SUGAR FREE, OIL FREE HEALTHY OATMEAL MUFFINS RECIPE

These delicious muffins can be ate as a quick on the go breakfast or a sweet treat to satisfy those with sweet cravings – like myself!

2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats (plus 1/4 cup for garnish if desired)
    1 cup dried dates chopped
    1/2 cup boiling water
    1 1/4 cup apple diced (about 1 large apple)
    ¾ cup milk (almond for a more healthier option,however any milk is suitable)
    2 large eggs
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp himalayan salt (or any other salt)
    2 tsp cinnamon

Place diced dates into blender and pour boiling water over. Allow to sit for 5 minutes then blend until smooth. Add diced apples and milk to the blender. Puree until smooth. Now add remaining ingredients and puree until oats are well ground. Line muffin tin with muffin papers and fill 2/3 full with batter. Then sprinkle theleft over oats (if desired)
    Bake at 180c for 30-35 minutes, inserted a knife in the center of the muffin should come out clean.
    Enjoy! 😀

HEALTHY CARROT CAKE OVERNIGHT OATS!

1 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup carrot, finely grated
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp allspice
    1 tbs chia seeds
    3 tbs raisins
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 tsp maple syrup (or to your own sweetness)
    1 and 1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened

First, mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add in wet ingredients and mix again. Place in the refrigerator, covered, for at least 2 hours or overnight. You can also top with greek yogurt and pecans or walnuts.

CARROT AND SWEET POTATO SOUP WITH GINGER AND CORIANDER

1-2 tbs coconut oil (or olive oil)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 tsb finely minced fresh ginger root
    3 big carrots, peeled and cubed
    1 big sweet potato, peeled and cubed
    3 cups stock (plus more water if needed)
    1 tsb ground coriander
    sea salt, to taste
    freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    chili flakes, to taste (optional)
    2 garlic cloves, finely grated
    Handful of fresh coriander (or to own preference,I like alot!)

In a big pan, add the oil and onions and cook on medium to high heat until translucent. Add ginger and cook for 30 seconds.Add carrots and sweet potato and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. Add stock (and more water if needed to cover the veggies) and bring to a boil. Once it’s boiling, lower heat, add coriander, season with salt, pepper and chili flakes and simmer until carrots and potato are tender. Turn off heat and allow soup to partially cool, then add it to the blender and puree it.Return to the pot, add grated garlic and stir. Then it’s ready to eat!

P.s I have pictures to upload for the recipes but unsure how. Anyone know how?

Jedt

Hi ChazB

thanks a mil, fab recipes!! I am defo trying that soup. Such a handy lunch to have in the fridge.

You can upload images using photobucket or just email them to admin (david@mumstown.ie) and he’ll pop them up for you!!

HTH

Financial Companion
    Participant

We occasionally make our own pizza. For the base, just mix natural yoghurt with flour (I’m gonna try wholemeal flower next time but I was out of it on Friday) you can adjust more flower or yoghurt depending on the consistency. Let it settle for 20 minutes, then roll it out. Spread with pasata and add your choice of toppings (we added lean cooked ham (not processed) peppers, onions, mushrooms sweetcorn) and then sprinkled with light mozzarella.

happymumblemum
    Participant

I tried to post but couldn’t !!! The submit button vanishes on me if its a long post

Jedt

We just had the most delicious healthy dinner and I thought I’d share the recipe.

Oven baked cajun salmon (pick up 2 fresh salmon darnes in Tesco and asked them to put in an ovencook bag with some cajun marinade and there is no charge for this!)

Served it on a bed of spinach, lettuce, peppers, cherry tomatoes, croutons and beetroot, drizzled with a little honey, mustard & vinegar dressing (made that myself with wholegrain mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and honey). Sprinkled a few almonds on top for crunch and had it with a cup of tea. Yum, yum, yum!!!

Love this time of year when the weather changes and its easy to eat loads salads!!!

Anyone got any good healthy recipes?? Please share!

Jedt

Here’s a really nice lunch idea….Bacon, Feta & Egg salad.

Grilled bacon on a bed of spinach, cherry tomatoes and lettuce leaves with crumbled feta cheese and topped with a poached egg. Make up some home made dressing with a tablespoon wholegrain mustard, dash balsamic vinegar, drizzle honey and teaspoonolive oil.

Small slice sourdough on side optional. So tasty, very easy to make and really good for you….yummy!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.