Money Saving Tips

Home Forums Louth Chat Money Saving Tips

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Yvonne

Noticed that we are all looking for save a few euros where we can, so thought we could start a thread with tips on how we can reduce costs?

yummymummy
    happymumblemum
    Participant

will check that out yummy.

Here are my top tips.

* once a month do not do a weekly shop aside from bread etc..guarantee you will have enough food stocked away to last the week ..just be creative with menus.

* Cut out buying a latte and a bottle of water each day according to 2FM this will save you 2 grand a year.

* Take a packed lunch to work

* spend a day getting better quotes for insurances

* Take out a set amount of money at the start of the week .

* Sell unwanted stuff on e bay

* Buy clothes on e bay ..especially kids stuff

* Dont drink or smoke 😆 😆 😆

ArtyMum

There was a great thread about this on MM some time ago, here’s the link

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic … 64&t=73257

Some great ideas there.

Make sure you are getting all tax credits you are entitled too, we didn’t know about one/two so sorted that before Christmas, every little helps right!

Yvonne

Shop around, lookonline – you can get stuff so much cheaper!

Yvonne

Use energy saving bulbs – we have alot of spots outside and we would have them on in the evenings – until we got the bill! We changed them (which was expensive doing), but our bill is down loads because of it!

Taylor5

HMM I might give that big monthly shop a go and just stock up on bread,milk and veg in the small shops.

I do the one about taking out a fixed amout for the week and sticking to it. We both have lazer cards and the money is flying out of the bank 😳 Before I would take 400euro out of the bank to do shopping, travel & lunch for dh and weekly money for me and ds…. no I dont have a clue what im spending.

The bulbs do work great, we changed last year but forgot the garden until I seen it on the tv. We changed the garden ones and there is a huge decrease in the bill….. I got esb this morning it was 190 euro it was an estimate so will have to check the reading

happymumblemum
    Participant

no taylor once a month do NOT do a weekly shop… basically shop each week as you usually do but on the 4th week dont do a shop aside from milk bread etc i save myself 160 euro a month this way and use up all the bits in my press and freezer 😆

scole1

got my bill too was a whopping 234euro nearly died it’s estimated too, do ya think they do that in order to cover themselves over the christmas and see who questions it or not…..i will be checking…..

defo shop around…..but buy good food, some places may be cheaper but the food isn’t good for you….organic food is dear at times so why not try grow some veg in the spring……my inlaws have had the end of summer and whole winter so far from the veg in the garden….we got lettuce for christmas day from their garden…..so that saves on veg….

clothes too shop around….some of the penneys clothes is good value and trendy too for kids…..hmm right about latte and that, why not have days in friends house and each time bring something, like even making scones or the like instead of buying a load of cakes/muffins just to scoff on, homemade is always nicer…..

buy cards etc in bulk in 2euro shop then you don’t have to run out spend 4euro on a b-day card just coz you forgot…..

have a car boot sale…..i did this one summer every sunday and would make at lest 90 every sunday from selling crap…..

this is a bit bad but recyle unwanted gifts….make sure you don’t give to the person who gave it to you…..my mom does this…..

going to the pictures, buy your food before you go, bring drinks etc, save a few euro on buying large popcorn that you won’t finish, even if out with the kids, bring your own snacks too as just picking up a bar crisps drink etc can be asmuch as 7euro, for something you could’ve brought with you that cost less than 1euro…..

buy on line dvd’s or even down load from sites save a few euros buying or even renting……in my case i like the real ones so i have a huge kiddies selection of dvds, that’s one of my hobbies really…..

finally so i don’t bore ya anymore….log onto mumstown there’s always someone here with great ideas….. 😆

happymumblemum
    Participant

Lovin it scole 😆

I am the worlds thriftiest person after shopping last week i didnt go out the whole week and only spent a tenner in 5 days 😆 😆 😆

scole1

god that was good……love weeks like that….got real into saving away money…..and now have in my own little private account just for me…..i’ve saved over 400euro from just saving 20euro a week instead of spening it……

and nearly have my car paid off to from just lettingmy mom take so much each week from me so i don’t see it, was a 3year loan that will be paid end of the month in just under 9months….so i’m delighted with that, then i’ll save what i didn’t see and got used to not having and have a load in the bank just to spoil me like getting hair cut etc…..maybe even enough for lypo suction 😆 😆 😆

happymumblemum
    Participant

you wouldnt do that would you???????? it looks sore 😯 😯 .

scole1

ya kn ow if they evented something that ya just clicked your fingers and you looked like ya wanted then yeah i’d try it, but ehhh no childbirth and recovery is enough for me, don’t think i’d like to get someone to suck fat out with huge syrnge or break my nose for a nose job yuck yuck yuck…..i’ll just stay a fatty or get up off my ass and do something about it….. 😆 😆 😆

Taylor5

Get a water softener fitted in your house, I know it cost a bit but my God the amout you save on washing powder and shampoo is amazing!!!! You only use a 1/3 of a cup rather then a full one.

Scole that is a good one regarding the movies, like bringing your own popcorn etc.. Another tip for the movies, if you go to swords before 12pm its only 5 euro (adults and kids)

Scole if you just stopped spending money on other people you’d be worth a fortune.

HMM your right about using up the food in cupboards, freezer etc… my mam is on a committee of elderly people on Dún Laoghaire – Rathdown council, she was paid to visit MABS and give an account of what the average pensioners outgoings would be. My mam was advised not to buy, buy 2 get one free etc, the girl said just buy small jars and not in bulk and use whats in the press rarther then letting it go out of date. Mam said she is saving a forture since she started.

Also when cleaning your teeth only use a pea sized amout rather then filling the lenght of you brush
    I hate water waste so always us the plug and never leave taps running

Yvonne

Will be trying the not shopping for one week – I was at the press this evening and I had to throw out a carrier bag full of food that was out of date! Its a shame to do that, so will definitely start using the stuff up and doing a better food rotation…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.