Mirina coil?

Home Forums ASK THE EXPERT Pharmacist Expert Mirina coil?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hawkeye

Wasn’t too sure which section this question should fit but this might be appropriate!

Someone is starting the beautician course in Senior College Dun Laoire and one of the machines they use apparantly sends a small electric current through the body and they are not sure if her having the mirina coil is a problem, as in will it attract a shock? I know there are different types and most newer ones are titanium and not a problem but she is not sure (and the surgery was closed to ask her GP) It was fitted about a year ago, if that is relevant. Any ideas??? She has to find out for Monday.

Taylor5

I wouldnt imagine it would, sure what if you had old fillings?

chewieodie
    Participant

Realistically I can’t imagine it would be an issue either…. because every client coming into the salon would have to be advised in case they were shocked too…. and I’ve never seen that kind of info on any of the forms you have to fill out prior to treatment…. 😉

Hi Hawkeye,

Although I don’t know the exact answer to this question I can’t imagine it would be a problem. I have just looked at the packaging for Mirena and it is made mostly of plastic (unlike the old copper coil) with iron oxides which as far as I’m aware do not conduct electricity (different to iron metal) . I’m sure this is going to be a very slight current anyway and as another poster mentioned, lots of people have bits of metal ‘in them’ anyway. If she is still in doubt she could contact Bayer who manufacture the Mirena. Their contact number is in Ireland is 01 2999313. I’m sure she’ll be fine.

Regards,

Hawkeye

Thanks for that girls! I think I might give Bayer a ring tomorrow. She said that it was mentioned that because these particular pads get placed on your stomach and send direct current, there was a concern that not only could there me a small shock but also that it could prevent the mirina from working properly! (No idea if there was any foundation to that). As Chewie said, it that was the case they would have to ask and warn every client coming in for similar treatments.

Hawkeye

Bayer confirmed that there are no metal parts and there would not be any issue with it malfunctioning due to such a current!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.